Motor 75% complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor 75% complete

I went to visit my motor today and was pleasently surprized. The block is on a stand and the crank and main bearings are installed. My pistons are in a tray and the rods are attached. The rings are installed however the machinist is concerned with how the rings are there groove.Is it possible for the ring to be upside down? He said the gap is correct so I guess once the pistons are in the cly they will seat as long as they do not touch it's ok what do you all think?We are almost there!

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

There are many different styles of rings. Many of them have a definite right way to install them. For instance, putting an oil control ring in upside down could cause excessive oil consuption.

Terry

Comment

Yes you can put the two top rings upside down.
      They can and probably do have a cut in the i.d. of the ring. This causes the ring to warp (some say twist) in a certain direction. Best to consult with the manufacturers instructions that came in the ring box!!

Also...I'd ask your builder WHAT the gap actually is rather that taking for granted they are "ok".
      The oil ring "can't" be installed upside down! The expander can be installed either way and the stainless rails are identical...so it matters not which one goes on top.

Good luck........!

Mike

Comment

Look for a beveled or stepped edge on either the inside or outside edges of the two upper rings. See anything?

Dwain G.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

All top and 2nd groove rings have a right way and wrong way to install, most have a small DOT near the gap to be installed on the upper (top) side and the instructions say so! [:0]

If not, they tell you if the bevel goes up or down. Not hard to understand, as all engines are done that way!

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

R2+ cam was degreed in the block yesterday and this is what he found.

38|38
            80|85 Is this good or bad? [8D]

Studebakers forever!
            Studebakers forever!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studelover

R2+ cam was degreed in the block yesterday and this is what he found.

38|38
              80|85 Is this good or bad? [8D]

Studebakers forever!
              I want to know what kind of oil clearances he came up with on all the cam bearings. I have not started putting my 259 back together because of excessive clearances.

Jerry Forrester
              Be sure to check out my eBay store

for your shiny Stude stuff
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Studelover -

You'll need to check out the actual cam numbers from a factory sheet to find out where the factory set the cam.
                Ask him where the intake lobe center is in relation to the crank. This will be an easier figure to figure out where the cam actually is. As I recall..."straight up" should be about 106 or 108 degrees.

Alan or Ted should be more versed in the actual intake center line number you're looking for.

And as Jerry notes...seems you have enough question about this guy (your builder)...I'd also ask him about rod and main bearing clearances.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                X