pickup tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: pickup tube

I have a 53 coupe tank that I had cleaned out a few years ago. I was getting ready to paint and install it but when I blew into fitting no air would pass. I ran a twisted wire cable into tank fitting an d did push something thru but cable stopped when I Went so far. What I want to know is there a "t" fitting on end or should cable go all the way into tank. some air passes thru now but I don't know if it's open enough for good fuel flow. THANKS FOR ANY RESPONSES

If the tank is mounted in the car, how about pouring some solvent like varsol in the tank and seeing how much flows out tube? Don't have access to my computer right now that has my manual/parts catalogue on it, but perhaps that can give you the answer? cheers, junior.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

tank

Originally posted by Alexand not to er Feiman View Post
      I have a 53 coupe tank that I had cleaned out a few years ago. I was getting ready to paint and install it but when I blew into fitting no air would pass. I ran a twisted wire cable into tank fitting an d did push something thru but cable stopped when I Went so far. What I want to know is there a "t" fitting on end or should cable go all the way into tank. some air passes thru now but I don't know if it's open enough for good fuel flow. THANKS FOR ANY RESPONSES
      When the tank was cleaned was the inside treated with a liquid liner, if so maby the delivery tube is plugged. When lining a tank it is important not to contaminate the pickup tube. Remove the sender device and look inside with a flashlite and inspect the entry of the tube, if it is plugged you may require special solvent do remove it. Dave British Columbia

Comment

The tanks of that era I've examined, the tube is open on the side at the end, and is spot welded to the bottom, so that a wire could not pass through it.

Comment

The tank was removed in 2008 and cleaned at radiator shop. No coating or liner was installed in tank. I was getting ready to reinstall it but decided to check flow by blowing into outlet, but little no air passed thru into tank. I ran a wire cable thru outlet found some resistance but eventually pushed cable into tank aprox 16 inches when it stopped. I used fuel injection cleaner and repeated several times alternating with small amounts of cleaner into outlet. The cable stops at same place all the time. I then tried blowing air into outlet but little air blows thru. My question - is their a restriction at end (start) of tube such as a screen or t fitting or is cable hitting a bend and stopping at that point. Thanks for Replies.

'

Comment

That pickup tube extends horizontally in to the tank, then makes a 90 degree bend to the tank bottom. Your probe is simply banging bottom and won't go any further. I would do as Dave suggests; remove the sending unit and try to see if the end of the pickup tube is open.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Hey, gotta try that with my tank. I am having problems with my fuel system & am wondering if there happens to be a (extra) hole in the side of that pickup tube that is sucking air... can it be repaired? Can one unsolider the connection to the fuel line and remove it... or is it indeed spot welded to the bottom of the tank?

Comment

Thanks for all replies

Comment

Working...
                X