Engine and Carb help needed and greatly appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Engine and Carb help needed and greatly appreciated

I am new to Studebaker in general, this year I received a 1949 2r15 pickup on a trade but it had no engine and the tranny and rear was swapped for a GM set. Not long ago I received a 1952 2r16A pickup with a beat up body but an engine, tranny, and rear end. the issue I came across is the engine has no carburetor, normally this would not be an issue but the engine seems to be an enigma. the casting number on the block states it is a 1951 170 cid but the identification plates were the information is spouse to be stamped it has been ground off, the dipstick is marked at 6 quarts and there is 24 head bolts in the pattern of a 226 engine. I have a manual and have been searching on forums and varies internet sites but have only found information for what SHOULD be there but nothing to help me figure out what I have

Was it normal for a 170 block to be re-bored for a 226? Or is there a way to tell if its a 245?
    I need a carb but am not sure what numbers are correct for this engine.
    I seen somewhere that a carter 715 was used on both the 170 and 226/245 engines, it seems odd to me that the one carb will fit the two different engines although I may be wrong.

This has been driving me insane trying to figure out what carb I need for this truck, honestly its not the first truck restore on my list but It would be great to have a carb for it when I do start rebuilding

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures right know I'm up north for my job for a week, hopefully I can take some when I get back.

Thank you for any information.

If you can see a reason to pull the head, the 226 has a 4 3/8" stroke, the 245 engine has a 4 3/4" stroke
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Welcome! Sounds like you are jumping in the deep end!

The 170 and 226/245 were totally different engines. The 170 (169.5, but who is counting?) is the Champion 6. It was developed for the Champion car in 1939 and used in a bunch of trucks and Champion cars. Eventually it was stroked out to 185ci. The 226 is older and referred to as the Commander 6. I am not sure if that is what Studebaker called it. It is a much larger, heavier engine used in the Commander car and larger trucks. Post-war (1948?) it was enlarged (not sure bore vs. stroke) to a 245 and stayed that way.

I don't have my parts books handy but Champion engines used a Carter WA until 1942 or 1946 then switched to a Carter WE. Both are common and will work fine. I don't know what carbs the Commander 6 used but it easily could have been the same ones.

Google both engines and you will find pictures. Compare to your truck and it should be obvious. The engines are very different. Then order a parts book and service manual for your year truck and you will be able to ID parts and order from our wonderful Studebaker vendors. No matter which engine you have they are thick on the ground and parts are easy to get. Enjoy your truck(s).

Nathan

Comment

The above info is all correct. There is no way to tell a 226 from a 246 except by the engine number or measuring the stroke. Externally, they are identical. However, as noted above, the 170 Champion engine is completely different. Both engines should have a milled serial pad on the left front top corner of the block, just below the head. BTW, a 2R15 was a one-ton truck with a Champion engine, with a pickup bed optional. The 2R16 was a 1.5-ton, and came with the 226/246 Commander 6. The 2R16 was a large truck and was not available with a pickup bed. Most came as flatbeds or just a cab/chassis for the installation of a custom bed.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

post a picture of your engine and we can tell you what it is. Include a shot of the exhaust manifold as they are definitely different between the two engines.

Most later commander engines used the Stromberg BXOV-26 carburetor. Commander engines also used the WE carb on some models.
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Here is a Champion engine:

And here is a Commander engine:
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

thank you for all your input, I'll post pictures as soon as I can get some I'm currently in a camp in Coldfoot AK for work. I'll also take a look at the manifolds. as for the carter WA and WE carbs which numbers are correct or are they universal and as long as its a Carter WA or WE it will work?

Comment

I'm not a truck expert, but I don't think Studebaker made a 2R16A pickup. You say the casting number identifies the engine as a 170. The casting number would be on the side of the block near the distributor. That number must have been 524807, is that correct? The actual engine serial no. is hand-stamped on a 1/2" X 2" pad at the front, top corner, left side of engine block. Is that what has been ground off?
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I think the reason the Engine does not match the Model of Truck, is because the Pickup Frame and Champion 170 Engine had a Cab Change for a Big Truck Cab that had a Big Six!
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                    I'm not a truck expert, but I don't think Studebaker made a 2R16A pickup. You say the casting number identifies the engine as a 170. The casting number would be on the side of the block near the distributor. That number must have been 524807, is that correct? The actual engine serial no. is hand-stamped on a 1/2" X 2" pad at the front, top corner, left side of engine block. Is that what has been ground off?
                    yes that is the correct area where I found the cast number it was 53xxxx (I have my paperwork at home that has the exact number) I looked it up on this site http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_6data.asp

yes the pad on the upper front corner has been ground off I cleaned it up and all I could find was machine marks no numbers.

I'm starting to wonder if i mixed up my numbers and the link is for serial numbers not casting numbers

Comment

Yes, that link is a list of the stamped serial numbers. The raised casting numbers aren't really listed anywhere. I search and record any that I find. If you are sure this engine block casting number is 53xxxx, I'll say I think it must be 533870. Let us know if that's correct when you get home. That would make it a 1955-58 185cid factory replacement motor. These engines did not have a stamped serial number, but they did usually have a metal plate riveted to the block right below that blank pad.
                      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Okay I finally got home and took pictures, the Casting numbers are 523140 it looks like a commander but the question is will a carb for a 226 work on the 245 or do I have to pull the head check the stroke and then find a carb?

right side of the engine

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

left side of the engine

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

casting number

serial number plate

Top veiw

Comment

A carb for a 226 will interchange with one for a 245.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

okay thank you, so if I got any Carter WE regardless of the model number if would work? or do I need a specific number?

Comment

If it is a Stude. Carb. for correct linkage I don't think the Engine is that picky to care, these Low Compression "L" Heads will run with most anything.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X