Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	1740832Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1740833

A couple days ago I was driving through my new territory and came across this 61 Cruiser. I turned my truck around and proceeded to get out and look at it. While I was looking a voice from above said "That's just what you need" . As I looked up and realized it wasn't divine intervention I saw a gentleman up on the roof of the building right next to where the car was parked. He expressed interest in selling it, so I looked it over a little closer. It has a 289 engine ,Flightomatic, and dual exhaust. Power brakes also. Don't remember if it had power steering though. The car is basically rust free. One small spot on the bottom of the right front fender. I did not crawl under and look at the floors. All of the doors shut nice and solid. Now, I am not really interested in this car per se, but told the nice gentleman that I would post about it on the forum. If you want to talk to the owner, I have his contact info. Just PM me. The car is in Cambridge IL.
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

I've seen this car, its not bad. I didn't know it was for sale, in fact I was led to believe that the owner doesn't sell cars, he collects them. Main thing I remember is it leaks a lot of oil.
    Not studes right now

Comment

[QUOTE=guyina4x4;787377]I've seen this car, its not bad. I didn't know it was for sale, in fact I was led to believe that the owner doesn't sell cars, he collects them. Main thing I remember is it leaks a lot of oil.[/QUOTE

yes, he does collect. He wanted to know if I was interested in buying. I said no, but if he didn't mind I would post a picture or two on the Studebaker Drivers Forum and see if there is any interest. He was standing right there when I took the pictures and he gave me his contact info.

With my new job. I work for Pioneer Hi-bred seed co. I pass through Cambridge about once a week. Send me a PM and maybe we could catch up and both make a new Studebaker friend.
      1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Pioneer huh, I worked for Cargill Seed for 10 years. and you were right, he's in a selling mood, I stopped on my way home from work and bought it! and yes it has power steering.
        Last edited by guyina4x4; 10-11-2013, 07:02 AM.
        Not studes right now

Comment

If this was an Autumn Haze brown car originally I can give you some history on it if you like. Some years back I bought a very low mile one from the original owner, a school teacher. Nice car, had to sell when I lost storage, regretted it more than once. It may not be the same car but rust free ones are hard to find in this area
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

the car is from California, so says the PO, he was the 3rd owner bought it in 2000 from the 2nd owners estate. I am the 4th owner. the car has been here in Cambridge,IL since about 1974. it is all original, except for the Dual exhaust which was put on it in 2001.
            Not studes right now

Comment

Nice car!
              If the 289 is original to the car, that is a rare option. Other than Hawks, in 1961 the 289 was only optional in Cruisers (not counting fleet vehicles and counting only cars).
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                Nice car!
                If the 289 is original to the car, that is a rare option. Other than Hawks, in 1961 the 289 was only optional in Cruisers (not counting fleet vehicles and counting only cars).
                the PO believes the entire car to be original, he was servicing it since some time in the 80's, the engine number is P75 something, I can't see all of it, it's under the hose going to the oil filter.
                Not studes right now

Comment

Originally posted by guyina4x4 View Post
                  Pioneer huh, I worked for Cargill Seed for 10 years. and you were right, he's in a selling mood, I stopped on my way home from work and bought it! and yes it has power steering.
                  You beat me to it! I called him today on my lunch break to see if I could stop by and see it. He told me he had sold it just a little while ago. Congrats on what looks to be a solid car!

Comment

Originally posted by rknight89 View Post
                    You beat me to it! I called him today on my lunch break to see if I could stop by and see it. He told me he had sold it just a little while ago. Congrats on what looks to be a solid car!
                    sorry,but it wasn't hard to beat you to it, I live 6 blocks from the PO. I hope I did the right thing, I really wanted an overdrive car but couldn't find one this nice anywhere close. it does need some brake work and does have a pretty bad oil leak. and the carb needs rebuilt. and the gas tank needs sealed and put back in, time will tell I guess
                    Not studes right now

Comment

Working...
                    X