PDA

View Full Version : Car Trailer Lengths?

Warren Webb
10-10-2013, 08:57 AM
Now that my 62 Champ is getting ready to hit the road I want to get a car trailer but am not sure what length I need so I figured on asking here since so many have one. I don't plan on hauling anything longer than a Hawk.

wolfie
10-10-2013, 09:15 AM
U-haul has it down to a science. The deck on their auto transports are 129" long if I remember correctly. If you are building one you can cheat that about 5" and be safe with most Studes, even trucks with the 8' bed. Steve

Jeff_H
10-10-2013, 09:18 AM
Not the best picture. This is my '53 on my 18' trailer that has a 2' dovetail. The main deck is 16' and the last 2' are the dovetail for easier loading/unloading. This would be the same length (a bit shorter overall due to bumpers) compared to a Hawk.

A 16' trailer would hold this car but not if it was 14' w/2' dovetail I think. The back end of the car will hang over the end on a 16'. With this 18' the '53 fits comfortably. I originally bought this trailer with the possibility I can also haul one of my 1965 ford Galaxie's and those are 17-1/2' long nose to tail (about 8" longer than the stude).

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/ee-engineer/EnroutetoSpokane28-05small.jpg

Look at the wheelbase of the vehicle you want to haul and also the distance from the front bumper to where the rear tires are and that will give a idea of minimal deck length needed. Generally, you want to have the hauled vehicle nose to the front for weight distribution.

M15 Trucker
10-10-2013, 09:18 AM
My car trailer is 18' long with the last three feet angled down slightly, I think they call that a dove tail. It's gross vehicle weight is 7500#

P.S. Here is something I've been thinking about adding the my trailer, let me know what you think.
http://www.serpentexpress.com/

Mike

GinettaG12P
10-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Get a trailer with an 18' deck. That way you are safe when you buy a longer car, like I did (1956 Continental MkII.)

brian6373
10-10-2013, 10:05 AM
When I bought my 18' trailer I had them put brakes on the second axel. My Dodge diesel came with the factory tow option that included the trailer brake control. Even with the trailer loaded with my 7200 # backhoe it stops like there's no trailer at all! I also installed a 12000 # winch to haul non-running cars. I started out with a 6000 # cheapy winch, it was a waste of money.

Brian

Studedude
10-10-2013, 10:39 AM
I would recommend no less than 18' with dove tail.

Trailer brakes should not be considered an option, they are a must have.

StudeDave57
10-10-2013, 11:08 AM
U-haul has it down to a science. The deck on their auto transports are 129" long if I remember correctly. If you are building one you can cheat that about 5" and be safe with most Studes, even trucks with the 8' bed. Steve

Well...
Here's my Cruiser at the end of her second ride on one~

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/StudeDave/My%20Rides/IMG_0208.jpg

and here's a thread with pics of a President Classic (same 120" w/b as a Hawk) on one~

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?20288-Introducing-George-our-1st-President-(many-pics)

If it were me- I'd want an extra couple'a feet.

Warren Webb
10-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Thanks for all the responses! It looks like the 18 footer is the way to go. Now for the dumb question-when it is quoted as an 18' does that include the tongue part too or is the deck the 18'??

Studedude
10-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Just the deck/dove tail.

Jet Green Daytona
10-10-2013, 03:04 PM
I'd give some thought into buying an enclosed trailer as well. After only having an open trailer myself, an enclosed one is on my list of things to get some day(maybe next summer). The reason being if you spend a lot of time detailing your car before you head out, it will all be wasted time the first storm you drive though on the way to a show. Also if you do go the direction of an open trailer I would get one with a full deck, instead of the type that looks like two ramps with dual axles. If you have a full deck, you can always use a floor jack to jack up the car if need be while the car is still on the trailer.

Todd

brian6373
10-10-2013, 03:05 PM
My trailer came with brakes on one axel. I had brakes put on the second axel so that both axels had brakes. Maybe overkill but I don't think you can have too much stopping power.

Brian

41 Frank
10-10-2013, 03:10 PM
I added brakes to the second axle for safety since I run in the mountains at times and also because certain states now require it. Heck, the whole kit, drums, bearings, backing plates with electric brakes came to $150.00.

My trailer came with brakes on one axel. I had brakes put on the second axel so that both axels had brakes. Maybe overkill but I don't think you can have too much stopping power.

Brian

wolfie
10-10-2013, 03:33 PM
I pulled an 18' and a 21' car trailer extensively for many years. The added length and closed floor were handy on occasions when we hauled large groups of motorcycles or parts and did allow the whole car to be over the trailer on most occasions, but I stand behind my earlier comment. If I was planning to just haul cars U-Haul has it down to a science ( Penske is the same trailer here). I would add a good winch and call it done. A brake lockout would be nice. Even if you want to go with the longer trailer stop by and take a look at the U-Haul trailer and steal some features they have like the breakaway fender/step (both trailers I owned required exiting most loaded cars through the window). They have a very secure, user friendly tie down system I would use including the "well" the tire sits in. The ramp system is fairly common but again theirs are user friendly and secure. Pay attention to the redundancy in safety they build into those trailers and incorporate those ideas into a larger trailer if you go that route. Also note that those trailers balance very well with many different vehicles on them and place your axles very close to the center of the expected load, not the center of the trailer. Good Luck, Steve

acolds
10-10-2013, 03:44 PM
We found it just as easy to rent a uhaul when we need it if going a long distance to get some thing yoiu can arrange with uhaul to pick up trailer near place and haul home then drop it of . They do all maintance and plates all you need is tow vehical and credit card . We used this to pick up President in New Jersey and tio pick up my Clipper and take it to be painted . also no worry about where to park trailer when not being used. Their trailers come with brakes and hold downs plus the fender folds allowing the opening of car doors. Another plus all your friends don't try a barrow your trailer tow vehicle and driver.

swvalcon
10-10-2013, 03:44 PM
That is the one thing I did like about the one u-haul trailer that I used. The fenders tilt down so you can open the door and get out of the car. A option that should be on all trailers.

jbwhttail
10-10-2013, 03:53 PM
As stated above go with an 18' trailer and get an enclosed one, no clean up after you arrive........

fpstude
10-10-2013, 03:56 PM
I purchased a 16' trailer about 20 years ago and it has served me well. I installed a wench which is a great asset. Obviously an 18' trailer is only going to provide an advantage except it takes more room in the shop for parking.

swvalcon
10-10-2013, 04:44 PM
I've got the perfect car trailer. A freind of mine bought a new real nice car trailer. The frist time he came over with it he told me he had no where to park it and didn't no where he was going to store it. As I have enough room he kind of looks around and goes you know if I could store it here you could use it anytime you want. Told him that works for me. Like having a new trailer only I didn't have to pay for it.

doug
10-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Get a good quality trailer Warren, I don't want to borrow a clunker.

Warren Webb
10-11-2013, 07:46 AM
You guys have brought up some great points. I think it would be best too in having to rent a trailer from U-Haul first to see how the truck tows, getting all the wiring done & then go from there. I wouldn't want to lend Doug a clunker either! :D

sweetolbob
10-11-2013, 09:25 AM
You guys have brought up some great points. I think it would be best too in having to rent a trailer from U-Haul first to see how the truck tows, getting all the wiring done & then go from there. I wouldn't want to lend Doug a clunker either! :D

Warren

You may find that when you go to U-Haul with your Champ that they will not rent you a trailer. They are picky about the tow vehicle so if it's not listed on their site, and I'll bet a Studebaker isn't, it could be a no-go.

They are a great trailer and my son's GMC 2500HD qualifies but my 2000 Silverado does not. Luckily they list Studes and Avanti's on their trailers approved list now so I don't need to fib anymore.

You may have a local dealer that will rent one but it's iffy at best.

Bob

GinettaG12P
10-11-2013, 10:04 AM
I purchased a 16' trailer about 20 years ago and it has served me well. I installed a wench which is a great asset. Obviously an 18' trailer is only going to provide an advantage except it takes more room in the shop for parking.

My wench was an asset, too. We raced sportcars together for 18 years.

mmagic
10-11-2013, 10:24 AM
My trailer is a 7,000#, 16' PJ with bobtail, with brakes on both axles.

There are so many ways to go on a trailer from aluminum to tip backs to sliders to enclosed to double deck to conventional with or with out dove tail. An associate who has owned all of the above styles and never seems to keep one more than a couple of months repeatedly borrows mine that is stored at his place.

While you can find many used trailers on Craigslist for around $2,000 you can have a new one that meets most occasional users needs for about $3,000 and the tires are all new and the deck is not rotted!!!

Deck length is only the starting place when selecting a trailer. The second place to look is down under, not just at the number of brakes but more importantly consider the design of the frame... size channels and how far they extend under.

We have hauled every kind of vehicle you can imagine on this trailer from my Speedster and Champ to SUV's and pickups to our '62 Galaxie 500 XL Convert to a mid '60's Imperial brought back from Barrett Jackson for a collector friend. It carried the weight of all of them and stopped well without the slightest issue but an 18' would have made it much easier to find the optimum balance/hitch weight point.

Beyond the basics...
*Mine has removable fenders, but the secure points are weak and fatigued requiring repair/replacement within a year.
*My ramps are beyond heavy and appear over engineered. Could likely load D-9 Cats but my back hates them. Replacing with Aluminum ones.
*Make sure it has a removable swivel jack or I guarantee you will on occasion invent some new swear words.
*I would not own one without a substantial front catch rail for tie as well as for a missed brake pedal when loading.
*Re-Treat the deck annually! You want a job from hell, just replace the deck... an issue with used ones.
*Get a Spare Tire... Mount available from HF for a few bucks.
*A winch.. definitely a winch. But... mine is not permanently mounted nor would I. Do not out cheap yourself here. Mine is marginally adequate... I drop a pin through my garage floor and also use it to pull cars up my sloped drive.
*Consider the tie down options... you need many, many because everything you load will be different.
*Get minimum 4 good straps and axle straps. Keep them in good shape and respect for damage after every use.
*Protect your strap tails when in use. I roll the tails up to the ratchet then use a Velcro tie to hold them (find them by the role in the electrical dept at HD for nickles). Not only looks neat and professional but keeps them from flapping and damaging your load.

Remember:
*Your load will tend to shift forward instead of backward.
*An evenly balanced load will send you down the road like a snake. You must have 200# to 500# of hitch weight. Stubborn friend had a VW facing forward on a small 2 wheel trailer heading Denver to Phoenix in Jan... The VW steered his Dodge 1500 and he stopped at every HD he came to adding sandbags to the hitch when all he had to do was turn it around.

StudeDave57
10-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Warren~ You may find that when you go to U-Haul with your Champ that they will not rent you a trailer. They are picky about the tow vehicle so if it's not listed on their site, and I'll bet a Studebaker isn't, it could be a no-go.
Actually~ "Studebaker" can be found on U-Haul's site.
See for yourself~ http://www.uhaul.com/

For fun I told the system I had a '58 1/2 ton.
It told me I could tow any of their trailers I wanted.

StudeDave '57 :cool:

Warren Webb
10-11-2013, 12:27 PM
I finally found the U-Haul site where you choose the trailer. I put in my 62 Champ , 3/4 ton & started selecting the different combinations for the car I was going to tow. It wouldn't allow me for anything except a VW bug with a tow dolly. Wouldn't allow the "auto transport" trailer, so I may have a problem there.

StudeDave57
10-11-2013, 12:43 PM
I finally found the U-Haul site where you choose the trailer. I put in my 62 Champ , 3/4 ton & started selecting the different combinations for the car I was going to tow. It wouldn't allow me for anything except a VW bug with a tow dolly. Wouldn't allow the "auto transport" trailer, so I may have a problem there.

Weird. I did the same thing, and it works fine.
What type of rating did you put for your hitch?
That might be the key... ;)

wolfie
10-11-2013, 03:41 PM

your local agent can override that. they want to inspect your hitch (and see a substantial hitch) and a few other things. Had the same problem a few times over the years but never a problem with a 3/4 ton or larger truck. Steve

Corvanti
10-11-2013, 04:09 PM

i had a similar problem reserving a car trailer thru U-Haul when i was going up to New Jersey to pick up the '40 Champion with my V8 Envoy Denali. i had to put a older VW bug in the info since the choices didn't go back to 1940... i printed out vehicle specs (from Edmunds, i think) of the Champion's weight wheelbase, etc. and showed it to the U-haul clerk. he called over a supervisor and we went out to look at my towing equip. he said no problem and changed the towed vehicle info.

i did this due to insurance coverage and the snow/ice on the roads north of NC - it was in January 2010...

BTW: i got a much better rate on the trailer doing a round trip instead of a one-way from NJ to NC. i was surprised by that.:)

Warren Webb
10-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Weird. I did the same thing, and it works fine.
What type of rating did you put for your hitch?
That might be the key... ;)

I played with the hitch ratings & even at 10,000 lbs it wouldn't go. I changed it to a 1 ton & it allowed for a car dolly but still not the trailer. Well, when I get "Blanca" on the road I'll go by there & have them inspect it & see what happens. I not only have 3 cars at the old house to come here yet but I also want to get some 1" pipe that comes in 12' lengths to make a canopy for a couple of the cars. Thanks again.