Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemmings Blog: Reasonably-priced 1961 Hawk

This doesn't look too bad for the money:

However, it pays to read the description and then read between their lines. Obviously, the car should be inspected in person (they all should, for that matter!), but they seem to own up to most defects....well, except for lack of a battery hold-down! (But they say it needs a battery, so they may have thrown that one in there just to move it out for photographing.)

The air conditioning system is "modern" enough that it was probably built with R-134a, easily serviced (and, they admit, it needs it.) But, boy, that front end would have to be in good shape to steer at all easily with the A/C, no power steering, and the antique Ross steering gear!

Being as a Maine dealer has it and with winter setting in, if you were on location, face-to-face with a wad of cash, it might be had for a good price after inspecting and negotiating...but only after inspecting and inventorying the needs and what you were going to do with it. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 10-10-2013, 05:47 AM. Reason: spelling
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Has Twin Traction as well.

Comment

.....I will be travelling to Maine soon for some other Studebaker stuff and could look at this car for anyone seriously interested in it. Let me know....I think this looks like a decent car... but needs a good crawling around and under for a full appraisal.

Comment

The seller appears very honest, car looks nice in the pictures, could be a good buy for someone
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

My first car was a "hand me down" 61 Hawk, white with black stripe and black interior. I drove the "living daylights" out of that car for 2 years before buying a 64 Avanti that I also drove the "living daylights" out of! The body does look to be in pretty good shape, but it sounds like a good chassis overhaul is overdue for the car. The Flamingo is a little too bold of a statement for for me though. Otherwise, it looks to be a decent car.
          sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
          X