PDA

View Full Version : Did Not Know It Is Possible To Break A Clutch Shaft

JoeHall
10-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Today, pulling out of a parking lot in the 62GT, the clutch pedal "fell" almost to the floor, and would no longer disengage the motor from the tranny. I figured it was either the shaft coupling, or fingers inside the bell housing, so limped the car 23 miles home, only having to shut the motor off four times at various stops. (Thanks to HFI for instantaneous re-starts in gear each time.)

Once home, and after careful inspection, it did not appear to be the coupling or fingers. So I completely removed the coupling and noticed the shaft, which passes through the frame, had cracked at the hole where it aligns with the coupling hole.

I have broken a few couplings, and had fingers come loose in the bell housing before (always with an HD clutch), but never broke a clutch shaft.

I replaced the shaft with a spare (it pays to hoard), and all is well once again.

First time for everything, I guess.

2R5
10-09-2013, 07:35 PM
I had the same thing happen to my Champ about 2 days before we drove it to Omaha Int. meet. Good thing it happened when it did . I had a machinist friend turn me a new one out of better steel .

JoeHall
10-09-2013, 07:48 PM
I had the same thing happen to my Champ about 2 days before we drove it to Omaha Int. meet. Good thing it happened when it did . I had a machinist friend turn me a new one out of better steel .

Since the cracked shaft is inside the coupling, its kinda hard to locate the problem at first, huh?
;)

2R5
10-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Mine snapped right at the hole , almost caused me to hit my garage, luckily I wasn't on the road. Everyone with a standard shift should inspected these shafts periodically for their safety .

rodnutrandy
10-09-2013, 10:26 PM
I had a 1963 409 / 340 horse Impala SS when young. I think I broke everything but the motor. Rear ends ,trans. gear, broke imput shaft off trans. broke drive shaft. It was a great car, but torque of the motor was hard on drive train. I can't imagine if I had had the 400 or 425 horse 409.

JoeHall
10-10-2013, 05:16 AM
This had nothing to do with a high performance application. Just one of those weird things. In the past, however, every time I have had trouble with clutch linkage, it was due to HD pressure plate. This time however, the car has a diaphragm clutch. Though it ain't all its cracked to be, I do not believe it was the source of the problem.