No announcement yet.

connnect 360 dodge engine to studebaker three speed overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: connnect 360 dodge engine to studebaker three speed overdrive

Putting a 360 Dodge engine in a 1960 Champ want to keep original three speed overdrive, does anyone know what bell housing I will need to accomplish this?

Why would you? The 3-speed Mopar for a slant six is about the same as the one for a 426 Hemi so it WILL take some torque & power.

Comment

First question is always what engine does your Champ have? This determines what transmission you're asking about. The 6-cylinder is too weak. The V8 T89, no problem. If you have a T89, it's the most cost-effective way to go.

Despite what nox suggests, I wouldn't take a Mopar 3-speed without overdrive as a gift. However, some here have adapted the later Mopar 4-speed overdrive to Studes with some success. It's strong enough, but I don't care for the feel of the shift.

As to the bellhousing; your problem is going to be 99% of 360" Mopars came with automatic trannies. A manual shift bellhousing is rare. There are drag race oriented aftermarket bells, but they're expensive.

Don't forget, you'll also need a flywheel and bolts, clutch, pressure plate and bolts, throwout bearing and linkage and a pilot bearing.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

I have 4.55 gears so if I stay with the trans in truck now I can atleast go 60 mph, not worried about trans just don't know if it will bolt up. When I get into it more I will do some measuring and figure it out. Just thought someone may have tried this already. Otherwise I am going to put auto trans in it and change rear gears.

Comment

Just thinking out loud but I appreciate your response.

Comment

Why not just go with the 360 & Mopar auto?
            If you want a o.d. that's also possible, I have it, a Mopar s.b. + auto & o.d. in my -55 sedan.
            On the other hand; it's quite easy to change rear axle & then you don't have to have a o.d. at all...

Comment

Get a A-500 Automatic I have a 318 with 3 speed overdrive standard but it is a floor shift. I also have a straight 3 speed for column shift. Any 3 speed overdrive behind a slant 6 back in the first part of the 80ds. The one on my 318 is a 883-10.
              I hope you know you have to have a special fly wheel for a 360. 318 won't work.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                First question is always what engine does your Champ have? This determines what transmission you're asking about. The 6-cylinder is too weak. The V8 T89, no problem. If you have a T89, it's the most cost-effective way to go.

Despite what nox suggests, I wouldn't take a Mopar 3-speed without overdrive as a gift. However, some here have adapted the later Mopar 4-speed overdrive to Studes with some success. It's strong enough, but I don't care for the feel of the shift.

As to the bellhousing; your problem is going to be 99% of 360" Mopars came with automatic trannies. A manual shift bellhousing is rare. There are drag race oriented aftermarket bells, but they're expensive.

Don't forget, you'll also need a flywheel and bolts, clutch, pressure plate and bolts, throwout bearing and linkage and a pilot bearing.

jack vines
                In all fairness: the 318 bell is the same as the 360 piece so that opens up many more possibilities. The kicker might be that an 'AT' 318-360 will need to have its crankshaft drilled to accept a pilot bushing.
                --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                X