PDA

View Full Version : GT Hawk and Lark bucket seat differences?

61Lark
10-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Besides the upholestry, is there any difference between the bucket seat frames used in the 62-64 GT Hawk and 63-64 Lark?

What I'm trying to do is put bucket seats in a 64 Lark and it would be easier to find GT Hawk seats.

Thanks,
Nick

stude dude
10-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Yes there is. I think the track width is wider on Hawk seats, and there may be some slight differences in the frame too.

Chris.

61Lark
10-09-2013, 11:51 PM
Thanks Chris. I did some more looking and the 64 Lark type bucket seat bottoms have a part number that is unique to that year and model. I was hoping that it was something minor and easy to over come, but that doesn't look like it is the case. Oddly enough the body parts catalog states that the bucket seat backs are the same between the GT Hawks and 63-64 Larks.

Thanks,
Nick

candbstudebakers
10-10-2013, 12:23 AM
The only problem I ever had was installing a set of lark bucket seats in a hawk they are not off much but enough to make you pull on the track some to make the holes match other than that I have found nothing else

StudeRich
10-10-2013, 01:31 AM
They also use completely different inboard Mounting Brackets, the "Saddle" that mounts the Console and inboard seat legs.

61Lark
10-10-2013, 12:14 PM
The only problem I ever had was installing a set of lark bucket seats in a hawk they are not off much but enough to make you pull on the track some to make the holes match other than that I have found nothing else

Thank you, Bob. So, maybe its worth a shot to try the Hawk buckets in a Lark. My biggest worry is that the covers for the Lark won't fit on the Hawk frame.

They also use completely different inboard Mounting Brackets, the "Saddle" that mounts the Console and inboard seat legs.

I'm aware of saddle being different. I bought a "Lark" saddle off of ebay a few years ago and found out the hard way. I do have a few Hawk saddles and it looks like one can be modified to work.

studebaker-R2-4-me
10-10-2013, 03:51 PM
I recently installed Hawk bucket seats in my 1963 Lark Convertible on a Lark saddle. What I ended up doing is welding two 1 1/4" tabs with an elongated hole in the tab (cleaned up with a die grinder) to the outside seat leg. Mounting difference between Hawk and Lark seats are about 1".

Allen

61Lark
10-10-2013, 07:49 PM
I recently installed Hawk bucket seats in my 1963 Lark Convertible on a Lark saddle. What I ended up doing is welding two 1 1/4" tabs with an elongated hole in the tab (cleaned up with a die grinder) to the outside seat leg. Mounting difference between Hawk and Lark seats are about 1".

Allen

Where you able to get the Lark covers to fit the Hawk seats?

studebaker-R2-4-me
10-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Where you able to get the Lark covers to fit the Hawk seats?

The seats are the same, mounting is different. Southeast Studebaker- Rene Harger formerly Phantom Interiors

http://www.alpha-omegaclothingco.com/southeaststudebaker.html

If you order them today, you will see them in a year. I bought a set of Hawk buckets for $50.00 while at South Bend Swap meet. Rene took them home with him and installed the Lark covers. Had them picked them up at York or Reedsville Swap meet about a year later.

Allen

61Lark
10-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Thank you, Allen! Thanks, everyone. I actually already got the bottom seat covers from Chris in Australia and Will Sander is looking for the backs. So I just really need the bucket seat cores.

I was holding a NOS center console in my hands at SASCO about 7 years ago but decided against it at the time.....

studebaker-R2-4-me
10-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Thank you, Allen! Thanks, everyone. I actually already got the bottom seat covers from Chris in Australia and Will Sander is looking for the backs. So I just really need the bucket seat cores.

I was holding a NOS center console in my hands at SASCO about 7 years ago but decided against it at the time.....

I purchased the wrong one for my Lark build. so be careful. I purchased a 4 speed console and cut it up this week to convert it to a powershift console. I was not all that bad to fix it either. I traced the outline from my Hawk console, cut it up, moved the base up about 3/4" and pop riveted it back together. Then fiberglassed the front back together with the pieces I cut off and trimmed. Here's a picture of the converted 4 speed console to Powershift with thick felt padding contact cemented on.

Allen

candbstudebakers
10-11-2013, 01:18 AM

Will Sander has some nos consoles in stock just ask him.

arthurc1946
10-11-2013, 07:34 AM
I'm a little confused as to what you need. I may have a pair of bucket seats from 62GTHAWK available soon,also console- seat backs recline.All trim on them. DRIVER'S SIDE-top left seat back upholstery damaged . Was going to set aside for my 61HAWK for future use[after the money tree leafs again]!!! Haven't taken out yet;been busy trying to get 62 engine freed up& running to put in my 61[ngine blown]. Can send pics.[only if really interested please] THANKS ,ART 62 IS AUTO TRANS.-COLUM SHIFT