Reverse lockout on toploader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Reverse lockout on toploader

I have a T-86 with OD in a 1962 Lark with a 259 V8. I found a top loader from a taxi. The only problem is that when you put in reverse the shifting fork does not push the rod in that locks out the over drive so you would have to pull out the OD cable.
    Do you know if they made a top loader with a shifting fork that would lock out the OD when you put it in reverse? Do you have one or know where I can find one?

This was an email I received and did not have an answer for.
    Can anyone please help this member?
    Robert Kapteyn

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
    I have a T-86 with OD in a 1962 Lark with a 259 V8. I found a top loader from a taxi. The only problem is that when you put in reverse the shifting fork does not push the rod in that locks out the over drive so you would have to pull out the OD cable.
    Do you know if they made a top loader with a shifting fork that would lock out the OD when you put it in reverse? Do you have one or know where I can find one?

This was an email I received and did not have an answer for.
    Can anyone please help this member?
    Robert Kapteyn
    I had one of these years ago in the '51 and I made a piece to do this and had it welded to the shift rod.

Ted

Comment

IIRC, GordR did a trans for Dick Steincamp's Ute that he did the reverse lockout rod modification.
      Had pic's of the process, too....
      Jeff
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
        IIRC, GordR did a trans for Dick Steincamp's Ute that he did the reverse lockout rod modification.
        Jeff
        Hi, I'm having the same problem. Can you send me some pictures or post them.

Thanks, Gene
        drifter22@isp.com
        Gene Shambaugh

Comment

Do a member search for GordR and ask him... He had the pic's IIRC....
          (or.... Search for the 'Ute' thread and look through it...)

Originally posted by Drifter22 View Post
          Hi, I'm having the same problem. Can you send me some pictures or post them.

Thanks, Gene
          drifter22@isp.com
          Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK
          Jeff
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Here's the first part of Gord's...

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...r-T86-part-one

Unfortunately I can't find the second part. Hopefully Gord saved the pics and the text. His conversion worked seamlessly. Here's a video going through the gears. If you listen close, you can hear it go into OD (Gord actually videoed this one)...

Here's Gary Ash's...

http://www.studegarage.com/overdrive.htm

It is a shame that searches on this forum are so difficult, PLUS lots of history is lost since not that many years are archived. It would really help newbies if they could actually search for info. In addition, links could be provided on the "Resources" tab of the SDC home page to link directly to these type of threads. The above links were found using Google. Searching the Forum for "T86" and user "gordr" returned zero.

EDIT: I found the rest of Gord's pictures here...

http://s210.photobucket.com/user/gor...?sort=3&page=1

...but not the post that goes with them.
            Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 10-09-2013, 08:36 AM.
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'm not sure if there is another post, Dick. The pictures pretty well tell the story. Any handy person could duplicate this build, if they have the transmission and top cover open on the bench, and some prints of the pics on hand. I did give the critical dimension for the backset of the shift rail actuator finger. The other dimensions are basically for clearances to obstructions within the case, and can be determined by trial and error.

I still have it in mind to try building an external top shifter, to be bolted on top of the transmission over the existing cover plate, or in lieu of it, with a shift lever and gates operating two short shafts that project out the left side, and link to the existing shift levers with short connecting links using Heim joints. Such a shifter might require some more floor cutting, but no opening up of the tranny itself, and indeed could be installed without removing the tranny from the car at all. And could be supplied with an adapter to make it work with a T96.
              Last edited by gordr; 10-09-2013, 11:04 AM. Reason: clarity
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. I seen the pictures where he welded the extension on the left side of the fork. I wonder if he had any trouble getting it into the case. I'm going to have to cut a much larger hole in the floor then I thought as the top of the transmission is to close to the floor to even accommodate the shifter casting, much less the shift tower. Looks like I will have to make cover to fill in the hole to have a place to mount the boot. I wonder if something like can be found?

Thanks Again, Gene
                Gene Shambaugh

Comment

It's not too hard to get the shifter forks into the case and engaged with the collars. You have to hold your mouth just right.
                  Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                  X