Packard V8 Motor Mounts Made In India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard V8 Motor Mounts Made In India

I snagged a pair of Packard V8 motor mounts off ebay for $99.99 (good price), and they arrived today. Each is in a plastic bag, with sticker that says, "Made In India". I am guessing the ebay seller was Kanter, since they were in NJ. I understand its a world market now days, and have no problem with made in India, long as they do the job. They look and feel just like USA made.

These are for Packard V8, not 56J. I had called Kanter earlier and they had no 56J mounts, and SI's catalog did not list them. Luckily it only takes about 15-20 minutes each to make these into 56J's. (But is it not possible to make 56Js into Packards.)
    Last edited by JoeHall; 10-07-2013, 03:51 PM.

Maybe the bags were made in India, Joe. Hard to imagine the car they would use as a template. A Packard would be huge for those roads and that traffic.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I have a valve-cover breather for my Mopar-engine with the Mopar-"M" on & under it says "made in taiwan".... so I think you win, 'cause all india-made stuff I've had has been good but this breather looks seriously thin-chromed.

Comment

Originally posted by Nox View Post
        I have a valve-cover breather for my Mopar-engine with the Mopar-"M" on & under it says "made in taiwan".... so I think you win, 'cause all india-made stuff I've had has been good but this breather looks seriously thin-chromed.
        For several years, I'v had a hood scoop on a Hawk that says, "Made In Taiwan". It is holding up just fine. I am not worried about repro stuff from other countries, have had good experiences so far.
        I also have an early 1970s business card from a bar in Kaohsiung, Taiwan that says, "We make you happy best drink"

Comment

I reckon your hood-scoop aint made of super-thin steel thou?
          You ought to see the blueish shades in the chrome on my breather...

Comment

Along those same lines, the crankcase evacuation system on my car, the breathers had "Made in China" on the bags. It's one of those Moroso or Mr. Gasket kits, and they are sold to everybody. The breathers are holding up just fine, but the chromed metal on them is pretty thin, and I can tell the radiator clamps in the bag came from China, because they are also thin, and chromed as well. It's not a major kit, just some breathers, exhaust nipples that weld into the exhaust pipe, and some clamps. It's still funny though, I see this nice box with a nice American logo on, until I flip over the breather and say, "Oh how 'bout that, it's made in China!".

I also reckon that despite where the parts came from, that many Chinese don't race at the dragstrips either!
            1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I bought rear mounts for my Hawk at Sasco,in 2003,they were also imported,but I don't remember from where-China maybe?
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Lots of Stude stuff is made in China, India and Taiwan now. Chrome parts, engine mounts, etc. And the quality is surprisingly good.

Chris.

Comment

Lots of Stude stuff is made in China, India and Taiwan now. Chrome parts, engine mounts, etc. And the quality is surprisingly good.

Tell that to my Black and Decker ratcheting nut driver, my Walmart special socket wrench, our armada of broken can openers, one broken electric can opener, my last few years of workboots, and as of late, my now removed ANL fuse and fuse holder, which was repeatedly beaten down by my 300+ amp 6V starter! And that's only the tip of iceberg after years of dealing with those guys! We don't set our stuff on a shelf, we use them until we destroy them!
                  1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                  1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                  1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                  1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

65 front engine mounts for McKinnon motor are stickered "made in India".

Do NOT fit without major fettling. The pedestal mounting hole does not line up and their is too little metal to elongate the hole without first welding a longer heavier tab on. Fits fine then.

Ken

Comment

I have come across wide variations in the Chevy mounts, even within the same brand of manufacture. Some are great, some need fiddling with, some have more rubber than others. And I have just thrown out some US made ones!

Chris.

Comment

I think the reason so many rubber products come from overseas is all about the EPA. Our industry is so regulated, that it costs a fortune to make those things here, but over there it's easy to melt up some rubber and mold the parts. SO, if you are REALLY an environmentalist, you shouldn't buy that foreign stuff. But then you probably won't be able to finish your restoration, or keep the old beater (or your fancy Packard) on the road if you DON'T buy that stuff, since those low number items are no longer made here! You can still chrome plate here, but it's too expensive, (again due to EPA regs), to do the cheaper products here. JMHO

HOWEVER, there are SOME good tools coming out of other countries. Not everything is junk now days... Again, JMHO
                        Corley

Comment

Working...
                        X