PDA

View Full Version : Thermal insulation for floor

pbrown
10-07-2013, 04:54 PM
I've been working on Disc Brakes for the 59 Hawk, but I decided mid-steam to also add a dual MC. While I wait for the stuff from Turner, I found another project to keep me busy...

My wife has been complaining that her footwell heats up as we drive.

This may have been the dragging drum brakes, but Iím putting extra insulation there anyway. Gotta keep the wife happy!

After reading page after page of options and recommendations on the net, I finally decided that I would give the "Frost King" insulationa try. It seems to be the best choice in terms of ease of use/effectiveness/cost. http://www.frostking.com/foil-and-fiberglass-duct-wrap/

I used up 1 roll and thought that I would post some pics of my progress so far.

studefan
10-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Phillip, is there sticky peel tape on the back? And, how thick is it?

jimmijim8
10-07-2013, 06:13 PM
A bit like garage door insulation from Lowes perhaps. cheers jimmijim

pbrown
10-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Phillip, is there sticky peel tape on the back? And, how thick is it?

It is adhesive backed with a gummy insulation. It's 1/8" thick, 12" wide and comes in a 15' roll.

It was $12 at Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-12-in-x-15-ft-Foil-and-Fiberglass-Duct-Insulation-SP55-6/100185601#.UlNEjlCsgdo

pbrown
10-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Here's a pic of the backing with a penny for reference

I can't speak to its effectiveness till I get the Hawk back on the road. But it looks cool!

jimmijim8
10-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Very good. Very resourcefull. Stuff I was speaking about has bubbles on both sides and would require a bit of spray contact cement. cheers jimmijim

Silverplate
10-07-2013, 07:31 PM
I recently went all through the interior of my Avanti and I used Dynamat Extreme for insulation. There are many horror stories when using insulation type products for automotive use when it is not intended specifically for that. I have read of smell issues, cannot take the heat a car builds up in some floor areas and the adhesive runs and drips. You get what you pay for but I would go with an automotive specific product. The insulation has drastically cut down on the heat from the tunnel area over the transmission and it makes the car considerably quieter.

http://silverplate1945.smugmug.com/photos/i-grMsfTc/0/M/i-grMsfTc-M.jpg

pbrown
10-07-2013, 07:36 PM
I recently went all through the interior of my Avanti and I used Dynamat Extreme for insulation. There are many horror stories when using insulation type products for automotive use when it is not intended specifically for that. I have read of smell issues, cannot take the heat a car builds up in some floor areas and the adhesive runs and drips. You get what you pay for but I would go with an automotive specific product. The insulation has drastically cut down on the heat from the tunnel area over the transmission and it makes the car considerably quieter.

http://silverplate1945.smugmug.com/photos/i-grMsfTc/0/M/i-grMsfTc-M.jpg

Beautiful job!

But Dynamat wouldn't have been an impulse buy at HD while I was getting stuff to insulate my garage.:)

Lots of other automotive forums have had good luck with the stuff. I'll keep you posted on my short term as well as long term success.

studefan
10-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Mike, how thick is the Dynamat? Are there any downsides to putting in the automotive grade stuff? I am about ready to consider this for my 64 HT.

DEEPNHOCK
10-07-2013, 08:25 PM
DynaMat is also a sound deadener, and has some 'mass' built into it (ie: Heavy).
Sometimes the household insulation sounds crackly when you move your feet around on it.
Sometimes the carpeting feels 'mushy' with the closed cell silver Mylar stuff.
But... I have seen good results with both.
I would choose they DynaMat myself.....

Mike, how thick is the Dynamat? Are there any downsides to putting in the automotive grade stuff? I am about ready to consider this for my 64 HT.

Silverplate
10-07-2013, 08:45 PM

Sent you a PM

52 Ragtop
10-07-2013, 09:15 PM
I used some material called "Fat Mat" Bought it off ebay, same as dynomat, but, I got 100 sq. ft for about $125.00 free shipping. Dynomat was about the same price for 36 sq. ft. used it from the windshield lip to the top of the rear seat, including the roof, and doubled up on the floor on my 63 Avanti. BIG difference, no more hot feet! Be sure your seals to the firewall are also good.

Jim

JimC
10-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the info Jim. I've been toying with Dynamat to help calm the road noise a bit. Fat Mat sounds like a much more cost effective option for a similar product.

57transtar guy
10-07-2013, 11:12 PM
I used the Stinger version myself. It peels and sticks just the same but cheaper then Dynamat. Its purpose is still sound damping but also has a 400 degree heat shield. I then covered everything (including the Stinger product) with basic heat insulation (about an 1/8-1/4 inch think) that I purchased from Home Depot and this stuff is the silver lining type material. End result is a super quiet cab with zero heat transfer and my AC keeps the cab cool much easier. I then laid my carpet directly over everything with no need for a backing. All and all I happy and the wife is happy!

jimmijim8
10-08-2013, 05:22 AM
Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together? Thanks for sharing the info about the cost saving alternatives. cheers jimmijim.

studefan
10-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Another wonderful gesture by a forum member. I asked how thick the Dynamat was and Silverplate sent me a sample in the mail along with a letter explaining how to install it. Thank you Silverplate. I very much appreciate you doing this!