I am shocked at the cost of shipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am shocked at the cost of shipping

There is a forum member in need of a seat for an Avanti. He won the bid on the one I was selling. UPS has estimated $209 dollars to pack and ship from Tampa Florida to Louisiana! They want $40 to pack (probably not too bad considering the amount of packing material) and $169 to ship the estimated 60 pounds. Does any one have any ideas on how to ship this economically?
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Grayhound Bus

Comment

Greyhound IF it fits the Luggage Compartment, and I doubt these will.
      Truck Freight is probably the best for Large or Heavy items, no method will be cheap because of Fuel prices.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I am hopeful. According to Greyhound the max dimensions are 30 inches X 47 inches X 82 inches and less than 100 pounds. They are estimating 89.70 for standard (space available) service to Baton Rouge.
        78 Avanti RQB 2792
        64 Avanti R1 R5408
        63 Avanti R1 R4551
        63 Avanti R1 R2281
        62 GT Hawk V15949
        56 GH 6032504
        56 GH 6032588
        55 Speedster 7160047
        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I took a pair of Avanti seats apart at the seat hinge and each seat packed into an old style computer box, had to fabricate an end out of another box.

My son shipped two bumpers on FedEx cross country for $70+. That was a custom fabricated box for sure.

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't clear. This is the rear seat.
            78 Avanti RQB 2792
            64 Avanti R1 R5408
            63 Avanti R1 R4551
            63 Avanti R1 R2281
            62 GT Hawk V15949
            56 GH 6032504
            56 GH 6032588
            55 Speedster 7160047
            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Henry,ship them GH. these seats will fit down below,though some think they're to big is in-correct.
              Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
              I am hopeful. According to Greyhound the max dimensions are 30 inches X 47 inches X 82 inches and less than 100 pounds. They are estimating 89.70 for standard (space available) service to Baton Rouge.
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

They fit will greyhound with no problem and it will be affordable.

Comment

I have gotten complete 50 commander front fenders via greyhound, I know the seat is smaller than them
                  Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                  1961 Hawk 4-speed
                  1967 Avanti
                  1961 Lark 2 door
                  1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

An Avanti rear seat will go Greyhound no problem. Go to Walmart, buy a couple cheap 8x10 blue tarps and a roll of duct tape and wrap it up.
                    I shipped a 59 Lark rear seat form Pa to Az via Greyhound wrapped in contractor grade 3 mil trash bags-no problem.
                    Jim
                    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Thanks, I passed the info onto the buyer. The ball's in his court.
                      78 Avanti RQB 2792
                      64 Avanti R1 R5408
                      63 Avanti R1 R4551
                      63 Avanti R1 R2281
                      62 GT Hawk V15949
                      56 GH 6032504
                      56 GH 6032588
                      55 Speedster 7160047
                      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

bicycle box might be right on. jimmijim
                        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I have shipped Hummer grill guards by Greyhound, a seat is no problem. I agree that UPS, FEDEX and others are raping the consumer on shipping costs if the item isn't able to be put in a shoebox. We shipped a soft top frame once and it was over size for UPS. No way would they ship it........well, an extra $300 got it there the next day.
                          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                          1950 Champion Convertible
                          1950 Champion 4Dr
                          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Try the US Post Office! There rates are competitive!

Jim
                            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                            their Memorials!

Comment

The US Post Office is outrageous on pricing for big items.
                              GREYHOUND is the way to go. Inexpensive and fast. I've shipped Avanti rear seats via Greyhound with great success. No troubles. You DON'T need to make a cardboard box either. Wrap in bubble wrap and tape it up. Thats all you gotta do. It also cuts down on the weight. They don't want any sharp points or edges. Thats all they are concerned about. I tape a big tag on the wrapping with address on it. Large letters and printed clearly.
                              And BTW, I've exceeded the dimensions without any trouble as well. Just don't go too large. I've also shipped C/K rear fenders via Greyhound. They are dancing on the edge of the limits of the longest measurement allowed. But all arrived safely and without damage.
                              sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X