Hawk Wheel Photo Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk Wheel Photo Request

I am starting to think about the style wheel and tire I want to put on my 61 Hawk. I have done searches every way I can think of and can't seem to get good results with a lot of photos showing Hawks with different types of wheels.

I am torn between a wire wheel with wide white walls or possible a 5 spoke "muscle car" looking wheel with white letter tires.

I would love to see photos of Hawks with different styles of wheels to help me make a decision.

Thanks
    Wayne
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Click image for larger version

Name:	B&W 1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1684055

These are the old style Cragars, repro I am sure.

Comment

Chrysler style

These wheels have a dual bolt pattern. Used a 3/8" spacer on the rears after centering the body over the rear axle.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the photos.

Any more out there?
        Wayne
        "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Not a Hawk, but you'll get the idea...

These are American "look alikes" made in the 60's. 15 x 6 with 3" backspacing. 205 70's in front and 215 75's in back. Very little clearance with the fender lip in back.

If you go with some "hot rod" 5 spokes, IMHO you should give it a little down hill stance also. Otherwise it just looks like you put hot rod wheels on a stocker and didn't give any thought to the total "look".

I'm not a big fan of white letter tires. They look OK (just OK IMHO) if you get some "period correct" white lettering (expensive) and go for an all out road racer look like this...

But it's hard to pass off a Hawk as a road racer.

Modern white letters are generally found on lifted 4 x 4's and look goofy on a car...any car. (IMHO)...

Wide whites and wires look elegant on a Hawk. They look to me like they could have (should have) been a factory option. No stance change needed.

In all cases with a wheel/tire change, be VERY careful about combinations of wheel diameter, width, backspacing...tire width and aspect ratio...and ride height. We have very little room in the back between the drum face and the fender lip and very little room in the front between the drum face and tie rod ends.
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Here a few more but not 61 Hawk specific. I have seen the mags on the Bubble top Olds on a couple of 60 & 61 Hawks though.
            Attached Files
            sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Name:	IMG_3429_resize.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1684078FWIW, I get a lot of positive comments about the wheels on my '63 GT. Tires are 245/50/16 on 8" wide rims. They handle much like the original bias ply tires only better.

Comment

Hawks look great with a 6 inch wide wheel with factory hubcaps. This is sometimes preferable than a set of aftermarket or brand x's. No one will fault you for it. Actually I've seen pseudo upgrades that fail miserably when compared to a Stude hubcap. To each his own. Forget the white letters and do whitewalls with your wheel choice. My opinion. cheers jimmijim
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
                  Hawks look great with a 6 inch wide wheel with factory hubcaps. This is sometimes preferable than a set of aftermarket or brand x's.
                  I would agree with this. A relatively inexpensive treatment that always looks good on a stocker. Here's my (former) Hawk that way...

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Wheels and Tires

Funny how tastes vary isn't it?

I cant's believe Dick would say that raised White Letter Tires belong on Lifted 4X4's!

It is true that they have become available NOW mostly in those Off Road Tires and sizes, but only because the Tire Mfg's in their infinite wisdom, decided to make them for the Big SUV, Pickup Truck, and 4X4 Market and convince the Car Mfg's. they needed them as OEM Equipment.

The REAL use for these very Good looking tires is, always has been since the 1970's, and SHOULD still be for performance Cars and Performance "LOOK" Cars with Alloy Wheels, because they are the ONLY tires that look racy and belong on Racy Looking Mag Type Wheels.

I can't believe anyone would use BLACK Tires on ANYTHING except a Truck!

Getting back to the OP's request though, IMO on a '61 Hawk, the Narrow Whites look very good with the stock Black trimmed Wheel Covers with or without the correct Silver Painted Wheels, but of course they are not for 400 point SDC judging want to be's because they came with Wide Whites.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My entry:

Name:	photo (14).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1684079

Name:	three quarter wheel shot.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1684080

The car already has a nice rake to it, I think it enhances the look.

What did I win?

Doug
                      Last edited by Gold Hawk Doug; 10-07-2013, 12:03 PM. Reason: Picture problems

Comment

My 59 Silver Hawk came to me with Studebaker wire wheel covers. I really like the look.

Name:	Coral 1959 Hawk Side.jpg
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	1684081Click image for larger version

Name:	Coral 1959 Hawk Right Front.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1684082

I plan to put some sort of wheel center to add interest. The Hawk Logo Stick-ons from the Stude Museum are a little too small, so I'm still looking...
                        Last edited by pbrown; 10-07-2013, 01:17 PM.

Comment

That WILL be a problem because of the Embossed fake Knockoff.
                          If you want to dress them up, try some Transparent Gold Paint.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

These look good
                            Bez Auto Alchemy
                            573-318-8948
                            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

[QUOTYeE=bezhawk;786392]These look good