Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a 57 hawk air filter fit under a 53 hood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Will a 57 hawk air filter fit under a 53 hood?

I have a 53 Commander with a 259/4bbl from a 59 Lark. Would anyone know off the top of their heads if an oil bath style air cleaner from a 57 Hawk would fit under my hood? I have a chance to buy one but I don't have the front clip on my car to try it.

As long as you are running the '55-'62 WCFB 4 Brl. Low Rise Intake Manifold from a '59, not only will a remote mount '57 Style fit, but so does a Wet or a Dry type on the Carb. style '59 to '64 Air Cleaner also.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      As long as you are running the '55-'62 WCFB 4 Brl. Low Rise Intake Manifold from a '59, not only will a remote mount '57 Style fit, but so does a Wet or a Dry type on the Carb. style '59 to '64 Air Cleaner also.
      Rich,...Definitely agree on the '55-'57 'sidemount' oil bath from a C/K with a four barrel WCFB fitting, but not so sure if the later type air cleaner that sits on top of the carb would clear...Maybe,..but I'm sensing possible interference with hood on the '53-'55 C/K's.

Comment

I guess it might be tight with a slightly deeper '59-61 Air Cleaner, but my '54 K fits with a AFB and a '64 Dry Cleaner without R3 front Engine Mounts, it also fits with a R1 Air Cleaner but they ARE lower.

The Engine is an "299" R1 1/2, Cloned from a '56 Commander 259.
        Who says I am a PUREST?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Zenwren View Post
          I have a 53 Commander with a 259/4bbl from a 59 Lark. Would anyone know off the top of their heads if an oil bath style air cleaner from a 57 Hawk would fit under my hood? I have a chance to buy one but I don't have the front clip on my car to try it.
          On Stella, the '55 Pres Cp., using a low rise WCFB intake, 1/2" Mr. Gasket insulator gaskets, and an AFB carb. I had plenty of room for a flat bottom air cleaner plate, a 2-1/8" element and my fancy-smancie Rodware/Mr. Gasket air cleaner housing.

You'll have room for a flat bottom air cleaner assy, using a 2-1/8" element or a 3" element with a recessed bottom plate.

But you asked about the '57 Hawk oil bath air cleaner. Yes, I think you'll have room.
          Attached Files
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Wow, I thought I was in for some major clearance issues but it sounds like not! What diameter 2 1/8 element were you using?

Comment

That Mr.Gasket air filter housing looks like a clone of a 67 Buick air filter.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Wow, I thought I was in for some major clearance issues but it sounds like not! What diameter 2 1/8 element were you using?
                That Mr.Gasket assy. used a 10" diameter element.
                Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Here is picture of "oil" bath filter on 54 commander. It initially did not clear; problem solved by replacing the support arm that attaches the bottom of the air filter to the motor and making a 1/8 inch tamper on the black adapter on top the Edelbrock. Ken.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X