Brake Shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Brake Shoes

Hi there, I have been having a heck of a time trying to find Front brake shoes for my 1964 Commander. First off I bought a set for the front from Autozone and they were 10x2. I need 11 x 2. I ordered a pair that Raybestos listed to fit the car but they don't work either. Has anyone had this problem before? I can't find them anywhere. Any help is much appreciated!! thanks!!

Probably need to get them from a Studebaker vendor www.studebakervendors.com

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

Indeed, the 11 inch shoes up in front, are the ones that you'll need to go to the Studebaker vendors for. The 10 inch rears, cross reference to a Jeep number, and those are still available from the FLAPS. Remember to save the cores for the 11 inch shoes, they can be relined.
      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

It's been a number of years since those front V-8 shoes were on the shelf. Swap your cores with a Stude vendor or find a local shop to reline them. Whatever you do, if you are disposing of a V8 Stude, SAVE THOSE CORES!
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Andy, do yourself a favor. Find a local company that will reline your shoes, turn your drums and arc grind the shoes to fit the drum. If your Commander doesn't already have power assist brakes, you will think it does after having this done.
          Using a Stude vendor should be your first choice, but I know of not one offering this service.
          Jim Turner should start this service for all the CASO's that won't or don't want to go to discs.
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Make sure you get 64 V8 shoes as the adjusting arms are different on those shoes and they have an extra hole the earlier V8 shoes did not have. The vendors may have this hole drilled in all shoes, I do not know.
            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
            1961 Hawk 4-speed
            1967 Avanti
            1961 Lark 2 door
            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Yes you need to get the B 177 shoes for the front, B 176 for the rear( same as 6 cyl. fronts). I've gotten them through my local NAPA store. I also have cores if people are interested as I'm cleaning out my garage. Rob in PA.

Comment

I'd consult with someone like these guys: http://brakematerialsandparts.webs.c...kerelining.htm

It appears most classic car shoes re-lined today are done with a presumption the car will not be actually driven, so they use liner material very inferior to the original. My experience with the last set of (vendor supplied) 11" shoes, re-lined with modern material, was that they were dangerous at any speed. I bet the guys at the above site could provide a modern liner that would actually stop the car. Worth a try anyway.

If nobody kicks and screams about the inferior liners currently supplied by our vendors, nothing will change. I no longer run front shoes on Studes, but for those who still do, it is a safety issue that needs to be addressed.
                Last edited by JoeHall; 10-06-2013, 08:20 AM.

Comment

I suspect I can find a closer service but all my Stude shoes go to T-bow for relining. Fast turnaround and he knows we drive our Studes. Even made the Rockne feel like new.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                    I suspect I can find a closer service but all my Stude shoes go to T-bow for relining. Fast turnaround and he knows we drive our Studes. Even made the Rockne feel like new.
                    I agree, can't go wrong with T-bow, esp if you tell him specifically what you want/don't want. Though he did once try to tell me his rebuilt carbs do not vaporlock

Comment

Heck, I vaporlock. Hate it when that happens...............

Comment

Hi Rob, I am in need of some of those v8 shoe cores. I discovered this weekend that my brother's 1958 packard had nothing inside the left drum when I inspected it. So if you can spare a secondary and primary shoe or a set of fronts, please let me know. If you have also any spare brake parts for the left front. I need to get the brakes functional before the snow flies here. I can rebuild everything later. I am missing the shoes, holdown springs and keepers, all 3 return springs, the adjuster, the long odd shaped part just under the upper springs, and even the rubber adjuster plug. Thanks for anything you can do. Tommy

Comment

Tommy, the shoes are the rarity. Everything else is available through the vendors that associate themselves with the Studebaker Drivers Club.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Just don't get "Bonded" (glued) brake shoes..... for some reason they break loose if not driven regularly....
                            Ask me how I know.....

Comment

Hill Top Brake,Tacoma,Wash. nothing but brakes forever, good place for folks on west side of the country. MAC

Comment

Working...
                              X