PDA

View Full Version : What the Studebaker Parts Books do not tell us

unclemiltie
10-05-2013, 10:38 AM
I continue to inventory and try to put order to my parts. I am presently sorting through tie rod ends. Yes, it is a blast, NOT.

As I was marking individual ones, I was thinking that the ends for 41-46 Champion look very similar to he ones for 47-49 Champions and also for the ones for 1950 Champion. They have 3 different sets of parts numbers.

So I get the mic out and after doing some measurements, I find the measurements including the taper are the same. I think, hmnn, this is interesting. Hey, one has to try and make this task a little interesting as marking part numbers on parts is not something that is at the top of my list. The only difference appears to be the dust cover and some have a rubber spacing washer.

So I go one step further and dig into my parts books. The original books show them as three different sets of numbers. But then I look at the hand written comments in my books which came out of a Studebaker dealership. The three sets all reference a fourth set of numbers and show this forth set is a replacement for all three of the original sets. I then try to find this pair of hand written numbers in the parts books. They are not there and are also not in the 51-54 parts books which sort of matches the number range on this fourth set of numbers.

I then look in the last parts price list I have from 1971 and I find these numbers listed as "end".

I assume Studebaker came out with a replacement set which replaced all three sets of numbers but the parts books never got updated to reflect this.

This is one of the main reasons I kept this set of manuals from a dealership, they are ragged but they have invaluable comments in them.

There have been other cases where they have added comments on replacement part numbers which I have found very helpful in search for a part for my car.

Corley
10-05-2013, 11:06 AM
And if only you knew what, those same parts probably fit a ton of other makes as well, and there is a generic or MFG's number that is equivalent. Probably several, since each mfg seems to need their own set up unique numbers. All you can do is the best you can do with it....

Chris_Dresbach
10-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Studebaker did this a lot. A part, like tie rod ends, might actually interchange, and they should. But the reason for a change in part number sequence could be something as simple as one has a rubber seal, and the other has a leather seal. Or one might have the grease zerk on top, the other on the side. If somebody took off the rubber or leather seal, it could be one of three part numbers so until you put a seal back on it the piece basically doesn't have a part number if that makes sense. Then we could make things really complicated and look at "internal use only" part numbers. For certain things, usually sub-assemblies, Studebaker had part numbers that were only used within the plant and never published in a parts catalog. I know what you mean about having a book from a dealer that includes different part numbers and interchanges. At work I use a couple books that take it a step further. They are from Plant 8 and is corrected, has interchanges, internal use only numbers written in, even parts that are no longer available noted. Those books help a lot.

52 Ragtop
10-05-2013, 12:23 PM
A lot of times, a manufacturer will add an "extra" hole or maybe in this case one more length of thread, then give it another part number! Everything else is exactly the same, and the original part number usually will not superceed to the new number, but the fit and quality is the same.

Jim

greyben
10-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Studebaker had the "F" book for use in parts departments for ordering from factory warehouses. It listed only part numbers, part name and then the dealers cost, net price and retail. (Not necessarily the exact words.) Occasionally a part number was noted as "replaced" by or "use" and then a later part number. Not a lot of these survived as they were replaced annually or thereabouts. The only ones I have seen were also pretty ragged from use and had the strong odor of repair shop. Not so great for a display collector, but useful for the parts collector. I suspect most of the survivors are in a box in the shop areas of parts collectors, enventories, etc.

Corley
10-05-2013, 03:23 PM
The older Hollanders interchange books might be of some use here...

Skip Lackie
10-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Both the Book F and dealer's notes can be very helpful in tracking changed and interchangeable part numbers, but Stude changed part numbers comparatively infrequently compared to other manufacturers. If a Stude part was procured from a different supplier but was otherwise identical to those used earlier, it got the same part number. But GM uses a new part number every time an item comes from a different supplier, even if it is functionally and cosmetically identical. One of the side effects of this is that GM parts books are really only usable for their illustrations -- most of the part numbers have been superseded several times. (Fortunately, the invention of the computerized inventory system has made the tracking of number changes easy.) While us Stude freaks bring our parts books to bed with us.