PDA

View Full Version : Carpet alternatives for my Hawk

pbrown
10-05-2013, 10:37 AM
I have one type of carpet in front of my Hawk and a different type in the back.

I really don't know what either of them is, but they don't really match and don't really "fully" cover everything.

I have read here about a number of carpet suppliers that seem to be a good choice. If I really "needed" carpet, I'd pay the price and go with them.

But since I don't really "need" carpet, and have a zillion other Hawk projects, I have looked at lesser priced options.

Has anyone ever tried the Newark Auto Products carpet kit? They claim "Detailed with sewn-in contours to perfectly fit your vehicle's floor curves and center hump"

Here's a link to some of the Newark Auto Products carpet kit for sale:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=0&VN=4294918741+4294918710+4294966974+4294967132+4294966846&Nr=AND%28universal%3A0%29&use_warranty_code_parent=AutoTrust&Ntk=Main&Ntx=mode+matchallany&Nty=1&Ntt=carpet+kit&D=carpet+kit&Dx=mode+matchallany&mvtgroup=B&Npp=50

Jerry Forrester
10-05-2013, 01:02 PM
$130.28 with free shipping. Get it and report back here with results of the fit and quality. I'm going to have to buy some for Buttercup.

pbrown
10-08-2013, 05:13 AM
I figured that if I was already considering replacement, I had nothing to lose by washing my existing carpet. (My wife previously talked me into a high capacity front loader for king sized comforters, so I got something out of it!)

So into the washer it went! I trimmed all the loose fibers, added mild detergent and fabric softener to the machine and ran it through on the "hand wash" setting. Then I ran it through a very low heat cycle in the dryer.

It looks and feels really good as it finishes drying draped over some boxes. I'll put it in the car today, and we'll see if I actually need to buy anything new!

Not that's a CASO!

BTW, I had to run an extra empty load to clean the washer, and hand vacuum out the dryer before my wife saw the remains from my experiment. YMMV

jackb
10-08-2013, 08:11 AM
OK....I went on their site and they list a carpet for my caso driver....correct color too...Question: How different is the station wagon carpet vs. sedan ??

Corvanti
10-08-2013, 06:22 PM
$130.28 with free shipping. Get it and report back here with results of the fit and quality. I'm going to have to buy some for Buttercup.

Same here about "fit & quality". :)

Jerry Forrester
10-08-2013, 08:20 PM
OK....I went on their site and they list a carpet for my caso driver....correct color too...Question: How different is the station wagon carpet vs. sedan ??
I went to their site too. After 30 minutes in their chat do-hickee, George said they couldn't supply my needs. I wanted loop pile, it looks like all they have is cut plie.

Dick Steinkamp
10-08-2013, 08:23 PM
After 30 minutes in their chat do-hickey...

Technical term? ;)

GThawkwind
10-08-2013, 08:28 PM
I figured that if I was already considering replacement, I had nothing to lose by washing my existing carpet. (My wife previously talked me into a high capacity front loader for king sized comforters, so I got something out of it!)

So into the washer it went! I trimmed all the loose fibers, added mild detergent and fabric softener to the machine and ran it through on the "hand wash" setting. Then I ran it through a very low heat cycle in the dryer.

It looks and feels really good as it finishes drying draped over some boxes. I'll put it in the car today, and we'll see if I actually need to buy anything new!

Not that's a CASO!

BTW, I had to run an extra empty load to clean the washer, and hand vacuum out the dryer before my wife saw the remains from my experiment. YMMV
HA!!! My brothers 83 subaru wagons interior was thrashed when he got so we bought some nice seats and carpet out of a parts car, the hatch carpet was different though so I installed everything else out of the other car and ran the back carpet through the wash, it came out clean but very thin and left the biggest mes everywhere.

Jerry Forrester
10-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Technical term? ;)
It is in Georgia. <G>

pbrown
01-10-2014, 07:08 AM
I finally pulled the trigger on this. I got the "non-original" cut pile because loop will pick easily, plus I like cut pile better:)

I also ordered additional carpet for the kick panels.

We'll see how they turn out. The reviews are all over the place.

From "Installation easy, matches the rest of the carpet, quality good, very satisfied" and "I was amazed at how fast I got the custom carpets for a 65 Rambler after ordering them. The carpets are in my car and looking good!" and "i am glad i ordered it for me that is saying something....i did not have to settle because i got the best the first time around......i have a 1967 pontiac lemans that i am restoring.....i am proud to exhibit my car with the other historical cars at the shows with the carpet "

to "Bought this for my '71 Duster, if the car was about 8 inches shorter and narrower it would fit great. Should have spent the extra money at first and got the reproduction carpet which is what I ended up having to do. Will probably just throw this stuff away!" and "terrible carpet, threadbare in places, cut wrong in others disappointing to see the poor quality of this product, I had to return it."

The one that probably sums up what I expect is:

Just as good as any,
November 15, 2013
Ease of Use/Installation: http://jcwhitney.ugc.bazaarvoice.com/1915-en_us/3_0/5/ratingSecondary.gif 3 out of 5

Quality/Construction: http://jcwhitney.ugc.bazaarvoice.com/1915-en_us/4_0/5/ratingSecondary.gif 4 out of 5

"This carpet is middle of the road. I have bought carpet from other company's for more money and wasn't a great fit, this carpet was half the price and wasn't a great fit. Don't buy it if you think it's going to fit perfect, you will have to work with it."

So, (in 7-9 days!) we'll see!

BTW, I ordered it from Auto Parts Warehouse, but my confirmation came from J C Whitney. I guess J C Whitney must have bought them - trying to buy "credibility"?:rolleyes:

DEEPNHOCK
01-10-2014, 07:55 AM
Not that's a CASO!

Now, that is BRAVE...
If I were to put something like that into the house washing machine, the end of times would occur..
My suggestion is to go to the laundromat and use their high capacity machine.
I save up all of my shop rags and 'ahem' questionably obtained towels, and occasionally the car cover, and take 'em to the laundromat.

A suggestion...
Toss one or two pair of sneakers (running shoes to you millenials) to add some cleaning action to the wash load.

5brown1
01-10-2014, 08:10 AM
I purchased mine from SI and felt it did not fit very well. I ended up taking both the front and back apart at seams so there were 3 pieces for each. I then had the local carpet store sew the edges with a matching edging. I then overlapped the pieces. It was a bit of a hassle but it looks ok. The rear was the most difficult with those wells. The pictures weren't intended to show the carpet but do show how the front ended up and a bit of the rear.

pbrown
01-10-2014, 08:23 AM
I purchased mine from SI and felt it did not fit very well.

Since the Newark Carpet is $130 and the SI is $280, it sounds like the fellow hit it on the head when he said "I have bought carpet from other company's for more money and wasn't a great fit, this carpet was half the price and wasn't a great fit."

Hopefully I'll be able to work with it till I'm satisfied...

njonkman
01-10-2014, 08:38 AM
I had Renee at South East make the carpet for my 56 Champion which originally had a rubber mat now impossible to get and you wouldn't believe the fit. Even the slot for the gas pedal and cutouts for the seat base etc. Just lay it in there and the edges were all bound. The only thing I had to do was trim the under pad away under the back seat as it was too thick to allow the seat to catch behind the floor brackets.
Nick

pbrown
01-10-2014, 08:53 AM
I had Renee at South East make the carpet for my 56 Champion ... and you wouldn't believe the fit.

Yes, she's my fallback position if I hate this and have to return it. But I figured at 1/3 the price, I'd give Newark a shot.

Maybe not often, but sometimes you get more than you pay for!

stude1964
01-10-2014, 09:13 AM
I had Rene do the carpets for my '64 wagon. The front didn't fit quite right but he fixed it. The rear was fine. He even did the vinyl for my back seat as well as the 3rd seat and cargo area. I asked him to make up a non factory piece of carpet w/a cutout around the "kiddie step" which I put down when "tailgating". I'd give Rene more of my money when I get to that point on my '64 GT project especially since I need everything to match with the PS trans. console as well as door panel bottoms. Good luck-let's see how your carpets turn out when completed. Rob in PA.

larkregal62
01-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Phil-Side note--Rene is a guy, and I'm pretty sure he will be at the Studebaker York Swap Meet. Gordon

pbrown
01-10-2014, 09:40 AM
Phil-Side note--Rene is a guy, and I'm pretty sure he will be at the Studebaker York Swap Meet. Gordon

Thanks for the tip - I guess I was responding to Nick's typo of " Renee at South East"