PDA

View Full Version : Burgh and Stoecker team return from epic trip to the north country

Studebaker Wheel
10-05-2013, 12:54 AM

John Burgh and his trusty í46 Champion coupe have returned safely to Mokena, Illinois. John left his home in Concord, California in late June to attend the Intl meet in Colorado Springs. From there he motored to Mokena, Il where his car was stored (Joliet, Illinois) for several weeks. On Sept. 12 John and Bob Burk (Az) flew in and picked up the car and headed to Pa thence thru New England, then thru parts of eastern Canada and eventually back to Mokena. John says he has over 6000 miles on the odometer since his California departure and he will be flying back in to pick up the car and drive back to California sometime before winter. John was almost giddy relating tales of all the places seen, museums explored, collections visited and people met along the way. A previous thread covered some of this. By the way the only problems encountered were three flat tires (caused by a manufacturers defect in the tube), a leaky fuel pump and a sometimes cranky overdrive (which miraculously cured itself).

John was accompanied thru most of his journey by Ford Stoecker (Cape Girardeau, MO) who was driving his GMC powered í37 President hump back delivery. Johnís car is stock. Others joined in the trip for a day or two, one participant drove all the way from the state of Oregon in a í42 President sedan to take part in the odyssey. I am sure John will write something for TW once he has recovered.

Incidentally John and his Champion had previously traveled the Alaska Highway to Fairbanks, Alaska about 5 years ago. He is certainly a good-will ambassador for the ASC and SDC and in my book a worthy candidate for the Jose Marion Barone award!!

unclemiltie
10-05-2013, 06:53 AM
Ford has also previously taken his 37 Hump Back to Alaska.

JRoberts
10-05-2013, 07:08 AM
What an adventure. I am very envious. Congratulations to all who participated, proving that we are indeed the Studebaker DRIVERS Club. :!!:

BobPalma
10-05-2013, 07:34 AM
That's a cool adventure, for sure. :!:

'Nothing like a self-curing overdrive, too. ;) BP