PDA

View Full Version : Clock for 64 Daytona

David Daoust
10-04-2013, 09:24 AM
Does anyone have any idea where I might find a NOS clock for a 64 Daytona? I tried Studebaker International but they dont have them. Would I be better off just getting my existing one quartzed?

Thanks.

SScopelli
10-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Does anyone have any idea where I might find a NOS clock for a 64 Daytona? I tried Studebaker International but they dont have them. Would I be better off just getting my existing one quartzed?

Thanks.

Quartz!

These guys did a couple of mine.

http://stores.ebay.com/CLOCKS4CARS?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

$150 is their basic service. I had to get a new lens and they did some touch up work and ran me 175. Worth it..
Will not drain the battery and keeps excellent time!

StudeRich
10-04-2013, 02:07 PM
You could clean and oil the winding parts and clean the points and get the same amount of working use out of it as a NOS one, about 6-8 Months!

OR, do the Quartz.

David Daoust
10-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Is that really as long as they last...6-8 months? And also....during that 6-8 months do they really tend to run down the battery. If so.....case closed....I'll quartz

You could clean and oil the winding parts and clean the points and get the same amount of working use out of it as a NOS one, about 6-8 Months!

OR, do the Quartz.

studefan
10-04-2013, 02:53 PM
I may have an NOS one. PM me if interested.

2moredoors
10-04-2013, 04:53 PM

OR, do the Quartz.
Mine was oiled and cleaned 2 years ago and works well. As StudeRich says you can clean and oil it.

10-04-2013, 06:26 PM
Is that really as long as they last...6-8 months? And also....during that 6-8 months do they really tend to run down the battery. If so.....case closed....I'll quartz
My original clock ('64 Daytona) ran for a number of years then finally quit. I never did anything about it and one day several years ago when I got in the car it was running (has since stopped again).

2R5
10-04-2013, 09:05 PM
I have cleaned and oiled a few of them , mine in my Champ has been running for over 10 years now. One thing for sure is to unhook your battery when the car isn't used much ( like winter) a week battery will weld those points together and that when these clocks stop.

41 Frank
10-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Had two clocks cleaned,oiled and points repaired (1 Hawk, 1 Lark) almost 15 years ago and they are both still running. I do disconnect the battery when cars are stored. As was already mentioned, batteries going dead is what kills most clocks.

JimK
10-04-2013, 10:36 PM
If there is a real mechanical issue with the clock, these people are quite good:

http://www.clockwks.com

although about the same price as a quartz conversion. I installed a switch for my clock after getting it back from them so it won't run down the battery.

stude dude
10-05-2013, 05:10 AM
Old Doc Clock told me years ago that most Stude clocks fail because of dust. The inside of a car is a very dusty environment. If they are cleaned carefully, must will keep running.

Chris.

showbizkid
10-05-2013, 08:14 AM
If there is a real mechanical issue with the clock, these people are quite good:

http://www.clockwks.com

although about the same price as a quartz conversion. I installed a switch for my clock after getting it back from them so it won't run down the battery.

I will second this! Clock Works is where I sent Barney's clock. This was in 2009, so their prices may have risen by now, but I paid $50 to have them clean, lubricate and adjust my clock, and it runs like a top. I really wanted the authentic "tick-tick-tick-SNAP" of an electrically wound clock in my car.

Four years later, it's still running great and keeping time. Before I sent it in, it wouldn't run on its own for more than 20 seconds.

showbizkid
10-05-2013, 08:19 AM
Before and after.