Hello! new member from Los Angeles non-owner question about Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello! new member from Los Angeles non-owner question about Cruiser

I thought about the Hawk GT, I noticed the prices on them climbing in the past 3 years....good thing.

So possibly as an alternate look into the crusier... so..

I would prefer a Stude motor (if I pull the trigger) rather than a 283 Chevy.

to clarify, the Stude valve covers has 4 sets of ridges on the covers and the chevy has none, and the chevy exhaust manifold are the classic "ram horns" while the stude has a single center exhaust port?

how many "stude engine" crusiers were made in 1964? and none in n 1965?

how mush smaller of a car is the cruiser compared to the Super Hawk GT and the 63 lark? sitting side-byside?

Welcome and don't give up on your road to a Hawk. Any car up until 64 would have been Stude powered. 65 and 66 production was out of Hamilton, Ontario and because they couldn't get anymore Stude engines, they used GM 283s out of the Mackinnon Plant in Hamilton. Go to a Stude meet and you'll find some honest cars ...some for sale, too.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
      Welcome and don't give up on your road to a Hawk. Any car up until 64 would have been Stude powered. 65 and 66 production was out of Hamilton, Ontario and because they couldn't get anymore Stude engines, they used GM 283s out of the Mackinnon Plant in Hamilton. Go to a Stude meet and you'll find some honest cars ...some for sale, too.
      I read in 64 Stude, close the s. bend facotry and since the 64 crusier is canadian, it hand chevys in the mix. I keep seeing 64's for sale with chevys...

to ask again... how "small" is the crusier compared?

Comment

Welcome from the LAX area. L.A. is pretty spread out, what part are you in?

When you compare cruiser size with G.T., do you mean interior or exterior. The G.T. is a little longer but the Larks have more interior room in my opinion.

Beach Cities have a nice show in Huntington Beach in November, come out and see the cars and people.

Comment

Stude kept their foundry open in South Bend thru the '64 model run, so the "Chevy" motors didn't debut until the start of the '65 model year.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
            Stude kept their foundry open in South Bend thru the '64 model run, so the "Chevy" motors didn't debut until the start of the '65 model year.

so you are saying even though the cruiser was made in canada, in 64 stude engine were still send up north?

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4021279228.html this guy thinks he has a chevy...

Comment

He may have a Chevy engine. They swap in without too much grief. I don't waste time dealing with people who can't defend themselves or hypothetical misinformation. You shouldn't either.

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
                Welcome from the LAX area. L.A. is pretty spread out, what part are you in?

When you compare cruiser size with G.T., do you mean interior or exterior. The G.T. is a little longer but the Larks have more interior room in my opinion.

Beach Cities have a nice show in Huntington Beach in November, come out and see the cars and people.
                I am near s. pasadena... I make it to the Hacienda Hotel to go dancing at times....

Comment

[QUOTE=mw2013;784997]so you are saying even though the cruiser was made in canada, in 64 stude engine were still send up north?

That is correct. ALL '64 motors came outta South Bend. Of course, since Stude made it SO easy with their adaptation of GM powerplants to an otherwise unchanged car(s) for '65, it's really easy to garner the required pieces that make the conversion of a pre-65 car possible.
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hi, glad to have another West Coast perspective Stude. owner.
                    You do not have to own one yet to join us in the SDC to get the Fabulous "Turning Wheels" Monthly Publication. Welcome to the SDC Forum!

You still have a lot to learn about Larks, and Lark Types as we call the '64 Challengers, Commanders, Daytonas, Cruisers and Wagonaires which are the redesigned Lark sized Compact Studebakers, and we are here to help with that.

As you know the '65 and '66's were just a slightly facelifted '64 with the McKinnon GM Engines, 6 and V8.

The '59, '60 and '61 Lark 4 Door Sedans were built on the 109" 2 Door Wheelbase, so that means that all '62 to '66's were actually larger with 4 more inches of legroom and a larger Trunk, they had a 113 inch W/B.

The Trim levels have nothing to do with size after '61. There were '61 Cruisers with the 113 Wheelbase but without the longer Trunk.

So that means that after '61 all 4 doors are the same size, Cruisers just have the top of the line Trim, Door Panels, Upholstery, Exterior Trim and the Cruiser only Map Pockets, fold down rear armrest and opening Rear Vent Windows.

So the one step below the Cruiser, '64 Daytona 4 Dr. has a racer name, almost as nice an interior and the same size as a Cruiser.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Daytona Sedan Bordeau Red R1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	1684034 A '64 Daytona Sedan with R1 Avanti Power.

Any Engine was available in any Model, 6 Cyl. (Except US Daytona & Cruiser), 259 V8, 289 V8 (Standard on US '63-'64 Cruisers), Avanti Jet Thrust R1, Supercharged R2 and even the High Performance R3 and R4, even though only one was sold before the Plant Shutdown.

You could have ordered the Borg Warner H.D. floor shift (Power Shift) Automatic (on late '63-'64), the Standard Flight-O-Matic, the Manual 3 speed, the Manual 3 Speed with Overdrive or the Borg Warner T-10 4 Speed Transmissions.

So you have many options for a Lark or Lark Type depending if you prefer the more rounded look or the more squared off '64 look, which was very much in style like other makes of '64 Cars and beyond into the 1980's.

OH, a Lark is about 14 Ft. a Lark Type is about 15 ft. a Hawk is about 18 Ft. if you are checking your Garage length.
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 10-03-2013, 09:42 AM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      Hi, glad to have another West Coast perspective Stude. owner.
                      You do not have to own one yet to join us in the SDC to get the Fabulous "Turning Wheels" Monthly Publication. Welcome to the SDC Forum!

You still have a lot to learn about Larks, and Lark Types as we call the '64 Challengers, Commanders, Daytonas, Cruisers and Wagonaires which are the redesigned Lark sized Compact Studebakers, and we are here to help with that.

As you know the '65 and '66's were just a slightly facelifted '64's with the McKinnon GM Engines, 6 and V8.

The '59, '60 and '61 Lark 4 Door Sedans were built on the 109" 2 Door Wheelbase, so that means that all '62 to '66's were actually larger with 4 more inches of legroom and a larger Trunk, they had a 113 inch W/B.

The Trim levels has nothing to do with size after '61. There were '61 Cruisers with the 113 Wheelbase but without the longer Trunk.

So that means that after '61 all 4 doors are the same size, Cruisers just have the top of the line Trim, Door Panels, Upholstery, Exterior Trim and the Cruiser only Map Pockets, fold down rear armrest and opening Rear Vent Windows.

So the one step below the Cruiser, '64 Daytona 4 Dr. has a racer name, almost as nice an interior and the same size as a Cruiser.

Any Engine was available in any Model, 6 Cyl. (Except US Daytona & Cruiser), 259 V8, 289 V8 (Standard on US '63-'64 Cruisers), Avanti Jet Thrust R1, Supercharged R2 and even the High Performance R3 and R4, even though only one was sold before the Plant Shutdown.

You could have ordered the Borg Warner H.D. floor shift (Power Shift) Automatic (on late '63-'64), the Standard Flight-O-Matic, the Manual 3 speed, the Manual 3 Speed with Overdrive or the Borg Warner T-10 4 Speed Transmissions.

So you have many options for a Lark or Lark Type depending if you prefer the more rounded look or the more squared off '64 look, which was very much in style like other makes of '64 Cars and beyond into the 1980's.

OH, a Lark is about 14 Ft. a Lark Type is about 15 ft. a Hawk is about 18 Ft. if you are checking your Garage length.
                      Thanks... I see no floor shift autos on the crusier... I prefer column and bench seats

Comment

Actually, pretty much anything was available on special order, many Cruisers being Semi-Limo Luxury Sedans were ordered with a Full Bench Seat, but about as many had Individual Reclining split Bench Seats, even a few with Bucket Seats and the Power Shift does require Bucket Seats.
                        Last edited by StudeRich; 10-03-2013, 10:13 AM.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by mw2013 View Post
                          He does- the car is a '65!!!
                          The picture of the rear gives it away.
                          '64s have different trim back there.

Welcome to the club, and the Studebaker madness!!!
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

If that 65 Cruiser spent its life in California, grab it for $2500. I paid almost that for a rusty basket case. You'll be on the road in no time.

Comment

Hi MW2013:
                              If you would like some local assistance (maybe help checking out the car, etc.), please email me at brngarage@gmail.com. I'm a member of the Los Angeles chapter of the Studebaker Driver's Club. Our chapter would be happy to help you.
                              Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                              '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                              '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                              '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Working...
                              X