Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk - Gas Tank

Hi,

Having spent 5.5 years restoring a 56J and using Pors to seal and remove rust from the gas tank, sadly there is still rust being sucked through the gas system.

So, now I'm wanting to know if anyone in SDC knows of where I can either buy a new gas tank that is correct for my car, or speak with a company that will fabricate a new tank with the preference of stainless steel rather than alloy.

Thanks for help in advance, Richard
    Attached Files
    Richard
    sigpic

Originally posted by packard352 View Post
    Hi,

Having spent 5.5 years restoring a 56J and using Pors to seal and remove rust from the gas tank, sadly there is still rust being sucked through the gas system.

So, now I'm wanting to know if anyone in SDC knows of where I can either buy a new gas tank that is correct for my car, or speak with a company that will fabricate a new tank with the preference of stainless steel rather than alloy.

Thanks for help in advance, Richard
    Beautiful car and great photo. You'll probably get a ton of options but Rock Valley will custom build a SS tank to your specs. Don't know if you need originality, but this should be a one-time although not a cheap fix. http://www.rockvalleyantiqueautopart...der_custom.pdf

Bob

Comment

Send tanksinc.com a letter of inquiry. They make repro tanks for many classics, including tanks set up for EFI. I have been trying to get them to repro Stude tanks for awhile now. Maybe if enough people ask them, they will see profitability and start making them for us.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
        Send tanksinc.com a letter of inquiry. They make repro tanks for many classics, including tanks set up for EFI. I have been trying to get them to repro Stude tanks for awhile now. Maybe if enough people ask them, they will see profitability and start making them for us.

Hi Joe,

I don't know what the potential marketplace would be for them, but hence my earlier post on 56J Forum, but I'll try and give my inquiry a good positive spin for them. I'm waiting for a reply from Andrew from Stude Museum regards being able to obtain a Blueprint Drawing (s).

Fingers crossed!

Many thanks for collective replies so far.
        Richard
        Richard
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by packard352 View Post
          Hi Joe,

I don't know what the potential marketplace would be for them, but hence my earlier post on 56J Forum, but I'll try and give my inquiry a good positive spin for them. I'm waiting for a reply from Andrew from Stude Museum regards being able to obtain a Blueprint Drawing (s).

Fingers crossed!

Many thanks for collective replies so far.
          Richard
          Hi Richard,
          We have discussed it here on this NG recently, a universal tank that would fit most, if not all 1953-66 Studes could probably be built,since they are far more similar than different. Differences such as filler neck location could easily be dealt with by a manufacturer.

Comment

I just spoke to "Eric" at tanksinc.com, and he said: "Justin" is the man to convince there, and gave me his contact info. To design a new tank costs them around $30,000, so they'd have to see potential profits. I mentioned universality for 1953-66 tanks, and the archives on this NG as a source of info to help determine potential market need.

Next step, I'll send Justin an email. If anyone has any other ideas, either to convince tanksinc.com, or otherwise, would love to hear it.
            Thanks

Comment

I just spoke to "Eric" at tanksinc.com, and he said: "Justin" is the man to convince there, and gave me his contact info. To design a new tank costs them around $30,000, so they'd have to see potential profits. I mentioned universality for 1953-66 tanks, and the archives on this NG as a source of info to help determine potential market need.

Next step, I'll send Justin an email. If anyone has any other ideas, either to convince tanksinc.com, or otherwise, would love to hear it.
              Thanks
              Richard
              sigpic

Comment

Anyone have any idea what a 'fair' price for a NOS fuel tank for the above car would be these days?.....the supply seems to be running short.

Comment

Thanks
                  You might let him know that Goodmark has just started producing rear fenders for the C/K cars. They clearly feel there is sufficient demand. I also wonder about that $30,000 figure to design a tank. That seems a lot to copy an existing tank, already designed, and in the public domain. I have one of their tanks for 49-52 Chevy that I have adapted to my 53. I only paid about $200 for it. For that one they designed a more or less universal tank with provisions to locate the filler in several locations to fit specific car models.
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I wonder if someone could garner Ed Reynolds' interest in this venture.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                      You might let him know that Goodmark has just started producing rear fenders for the C/K cars. They clearly feel there is sufficient demand. I also wonder about that $30,000 figure to design a tank. That seems a lot to copy an existing tank, already designed, and in the public domain. I have one of their tanks for 49-52 Chevy that I have adapted to my 53. I only paid about $200 for it. For that one they designed a more or less universal tank with provisions to locate the filler in several locations to fit specific car models.
                      Hi Pat,
                      I'd be afraid to send him to Goodmark, since I do not think they have yet sold as many of those fenders as they'd hoped.

In looking at tank specs on tanksincs' website, the 49-52 Chevy looked like a good candidate for Stude, but IIRC their capacity is around 15 gallons, versus Studes' 18. The 55-57 Chevy's looks close, but would be about 2" lower. I like that those tanks can be had in EFI versions too.

Comment

Hi Pat,
                        I'd be afraid to send him to Goodmark, since I do not think they have yet sold as many of those fenders as they'd hoped.

In looking at tank specs on tanksincs' website, the 49-52 Chevy looked like a good candidate for Stude, but IIRC their capacity is around 15 gallons, versus Studes' 18. The 55-57 Chevy's looks close, but would be about 2" lower. I like that those tanks can be had in EFI versions too.
                        Yes the tank is about 15 gallons, the less capacity has not been an issue. The car still has a longer range between fuel stops than I do. I chose it because their EFI pumps drop right in. It does hang lower than the original Stude tank. I did have to fabricate a mount for it using straps that go under it like Chevy uses. My only complaint in 27,000 miles with it is getting it to seal around the sending unit. If I fill it to the top it has a slow leak there.
                        Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA
                        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                          Yes the tank is about 15 gallons, the less capacity has not been an issue. The car still has a longer range between fuel stops than I do. I chose it because their EFI pumps drop right in. It does hang lower than the original Stude tank. I did have to fabricate a mount for it using straps that go under it like Chevy uses. My only complaint in 27,000 miles with it is getting it to seal around the sending unit. If I fill it to the top it has a slow leak there.
                          Pat,
                          That tank sure tucks up under your 53 very well. I never noticed it, and I bet not many others have either.

Comment

[QUOTE=Pat Dilling;My only complaint in 27,000 miles with it is getting it to seal around the sending unit. If I fill it to the top it has a slow leak there.[/QUOTE]
                            Here's a product that will seal the sending unit gaskets. It can be purchased from Amazon if you can't find it anywhere else :
                            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Gasoila-E-Seal...gasoila+e+seal

i "ass-u-me" it won't harm rubber gaskets. true?

i can't fill the '51 much past 3/4's full. tricky since the gauge isn't working (yet). one of many fixes on my "winter list".
                              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                              X