Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2R16 55 has 3 military stars remains on hood on each side ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2R16 55 has 3 military stars remains on hood on each side ?????

I recently purchased a 1949 2R16 with metal (not paint) star remains on the hood. I live near Ft. Leavenworth Kansas. What is this trucks past ???? how do I find a military record for this truck ????? This truck last ran in about 1970. brad

How big and how many star(s)? Obviously, the usual Army star was painted. However, small stars were painted on a license plate-sized tab to indicate if a general was onboard. They were removed when he wasn't in it. I can't see a general having a truck as a staff car...
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

4 inches, 3 stars, above and forward of the Studebaker script. a friend of mine has a dodge coe with two stars about 10 inches on each door. were these support vehicles for the general ??? brad

Comment

I agree with jboyle. A vehicle only displayed the stars when the general/admiral was actually on board. Support vehicles would not have them. Can't help you with any other explanation.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

military

Originally posted by bradnree View Post
          I recently purchased a 1949 2R16 with metal (not paint) star remains on the hood. I live near Ft. Leavenworth Kansas. What is this trucks past ???? how do I find a military record for this truck ????? This truck last ran in about 1970. brad
          thanks for the help.....

Comment

You can still send in the numbers and get a production order from SI and see if that helps you in determining where the truck came from.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
              You can still send in the numbers and get a production order from SI and see if that helps you in determining where the truck came from.
              I believe that should be SNM, not SI.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                I believe that should be SNM, not SI.
                I stand corrected, the Studebaker National Museum is where he needed to go. Thanks.

Comment

Is the truck painted anything that would give it away as a military vehicle, like OD green, gray, etc? Post some photos of it and I'm sure somebody here could give more information about it. The build sheet from the museum would say if it was sold to the military or not.
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

ordered a production order 10/24/13

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
                    I stand corrected, the Studebaker National Museum is where he needed to go. Thanks.
                    Production order ordered....brad

Comment

Looking forward to what you find out.

Comment

production order wait time

Production order ordered....brad
                        I'm not sure why it takes 4-6 weeks for a production order........find the file....copy it....mail it.........one hour ?????
                        brad

Comment

I'm not sure why it takes 4-6 weeks for a production order........find the file....copy it....mail it.........one hour ?????
                          brad
                          It may be because there is not enough volume to assign an employee to this and the staff is too small for someone to drop everything and do one.
                          I would guess that they get several orders together and then search for the originals, etc.
                          I may be incorrect on this, but this is how I see it working. Perhaps someone connected with the SNM can respond.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The truck was delivered to Mankato KS. Not likely a military order according to the production order which arrived today. Possibly McCarthy Hardware studebaker dealer #8 in Mankato Kansas.
                            brad

Comment

Working...
                            X