Oil in Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil in Water

Had a visited this morning. He has a fresh rebuilt 259 he is getting oil in the water but no signs of water on the dip stick. I know the water is probably in the bottom of the pan. Any ideas I'm stumped can't think this morning I guess.

Check your rad. could be a hole in the trans cooler leting oil get in to the water.

Comment

Thanks I will have him check.

Comment

A lot of oil or just a film? How many miles since a "fresh" rebuild? If he tops the radiator, it will float the oil out and that will let him see if it is accumulating again, could just be some oil that got into the system during the rebuild process. Have him do a pressure check on the system. If water is getting into the crankcase, it usually shows up as something that looks like chocolate milk after being driven any distance.

Comment

I just got back from checking with him. The trans was 2 quarts low. Drained the oil pan no sign of water. He is going to get a trans cooler and see what happens. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Just the obvious -

leaking head gasket
            cracked head
            cracked block
            residue form past radiator work
            contaminated water (from other/outside source)

Mike

Comment

If trans fluid is leaking into the radiator, a trans cooler won't help unless he bypasses the radiator cooler completely with it, probably not a good permanent solution as an external trans cooler won't be enough to keep the trans cool in warmer weather. A quick look at the color of the oil in the coolant should tell him if it's red/pink type "F" trans fluid.

Comment

Does it have a factory auto trans cooler? I wouldn't think very many 259's had a heavy duty trans behind them unless this is a truck.
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Dwain it is a pickup. 58 The oil that's floating on top is greenish color. And there is no smell. If there is oil in the water why wouldn't there be water in the oil?

Comment

" why wouldn't there be water in the oil?"

When it comes to the sometimes bewildering behavior of mechanical things Lewis Carrol had a wonderful explanation I try not to forget.
                    "He only does it to annoy, Because he knows it teases.

Seriously, once you determine whether the oil is engine or transmission, if there is truly no cross pollination going on, operating pressure differences and cracks that only open up enough when hot can cause some curious symptoms.
                    The engine will tolerate slight coolant contamination better than an auto trans will tolerate coolant, especially glycol antifreeze which is a real killer for either.
                    pressure testing the cooling system to 15 psi or so is good for finding general leaks, but I would not do that with the transmission cooling lines hooked up.

Comment

I've seen the cooling lines leak oil into the water but no water into trans. Not sure if its the difference in pressure or what.

Comment

Before slinging parts at it...
                        Pressure test the cooling system.
                        Autozone (and others) will lend you a pressure tester tool (for a deposit) that you can do yourself at home.....
                        Won't tell you where the leak is, but it will tell you if there is a leak.
                        Jeff

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
                        I just got back from checking with him. The trans was 2 quarts low. Drained the oil pan no sign of water. He is going to get a trans cooler and see what happens. Thanks for all the help.
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Found the problem. Cracked head and I mean big crack. He has a replacement spotted.

Comment

Love to see a pic of the cracked head when he gets it off....
                            I've never seen a frozen water crack on a head...Usually gets the block first.
                            And an overheat crack on a head into oil would be unusual, too.
                            Curiosity abounds!
                            Glad you found it.
                            Jeff

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
                            Found the problem. Cracked head and I mean big crack. He has a replacement spotted.
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I had a Brand F Ranger a year or two ago that had a radiator leak and overheated, I mean got Hot! Fixed the leak and drove it another 10-12 months but engine got weaker and weaker. Got lots of advise and opinions and tried a lot of cures. Finally pulled the head and had it magnafluxed. Cracked in about four different places. Still didn't leak a lot, but it was enough when under pressure. It would run fine on start up and then just go down hill as it warmed up and expanded.Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X