Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road trip in the Lark :-)

Hello all! :-)
    Jim and I are taking a road trip in the lark this week.... On the way to half moon bay and then on to Santa Cruz and Pacific Grove via HWY 1. If anyone knows of any "must see" stops along the way, we'd love to hear from you. We'll post pics as we go. :-)
    Happy day!
    Michelle
    '60 Lark Hardtop, Red Bluff, CA
    sigpic

Have a safe and wonderful trip. Not knowing California, I can't help with stops. I'd be heading for Acapulco (lol).
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Monterey Bay Aquarium, and the surrounding cannery district. "17 Mile Drive" and Carmel (by the Sea) will give you a start... take plenty of pics with the Lark!!!
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

If you are going down 880 to Santa Cruz you go with in 6 blocks of my shop in Hayward....Bob
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

I love Highway 1, but not very familiar with that part of it. There are sure to be some light houses and lots of crashing surf. Have a great trip, looking forward to seeing the pictures. Here is a nice itinerary: http://www.frommers.com/destinations...215020962.html

Stretching your trip down into Big Sur to see the Redwoods would be worth the effort IMO.
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Find yourself a giant redwood drive-thru tree, drive the Studebaker through it and take a nice photo of it and submit it for a Turning Wheels cover photo! Have fun!
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips! I'm bummed we didn't find ourselves a giant redwood to drive through... that would have been too cool!

The trip was a success and we had a blast. The stude did great... got 21-22 MPG - YIPPEE! It's so much fun driving around in our little car, we always get to talk to the nicest people who want to know all about the project and then share their own restoration stories. One guy from Australia stopped to chat while we were in Pacific Grove and told us all about the Larks that were used as police cars over there back in the day. Lots of opportunities to market the club and general Studebaker ownership.

At the time, it felt like I was taking a ton of pictures, but in hindsight I could have taken more. Next time... Hope you enjoy and thanks again for all the tips!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0479.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1684093 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0483.jpg
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1684094 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0496.jpg
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1684095

Jim and Michelle
              Attached Files
              sigpic

Comment

My wife and I had t shirts made that say You meet the nicest people when you are driving a Studebaker . We really believe that ! Did you ever hear any more from Gearz ? I didn't !
                Randy Wilkin
                1946 M5 Streetrod
                Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Beautiful little car. I love that paint scheme.
                  If that's you and Jim walking behind the Lark in the last picture you posted, Then who is that brunette standing beside your Lark in your sig. picture. <G>
                  ps: I like the full wheel covers better than the dog dishes.
                  Jerry Forrester
                  Forrester's Chrome
                  Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by rodnutrandy View Post
                    My wife and I had t shirts made that say You meet the nicest people when you are driving a Studebaker . We really believe that ! Did you ever hear any more from Gearz ? I didn't !
                    It's so true! :-)

Nope, never did hear anymore from gearz and now they're taking a break I think until they can find a network that'll pick them up.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                      Beautiful little car. I love that paint scheme.
                      If that's you and Jim walking behind the Lark in the last picture you posted, Then who is that brunette standing beside your Lark in your sig. picture. <G>
                      ps: I like the full wheel covers better than the dog dishes.
                      Thank you! Yeah, that brunette follows my car around everywhere, hee hee hee!

We ended up buying brand new wheels (since the old ones were a little bent and made for a bumpy ride on the freeway) ... the new ones didn't fit the dog dishes. Jim likes these better too, they are growing on me.

Happy Sunday!
                      sigpic

Comment

Sounds like a story for Hawk Talks. Send it in with some of your favorite pics. Hope you got the Lobster Po' Boy at Sam's Chowder House in Half Moon Bay.
                        Jon Stalnaker
                        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Beautiful car, beautiful trip. Love it when a plan comes together!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
                            Sounds like a story for Hawk Talks. Send it in with some of your favorite pics. Hope you got the Lobster Po' Boy at Sam's Chowder House in Half Moon Bay.
                            Will do Jon ..... Lobster po' boy will have to be next time around, there were so many great food choices it was hard to get to 'em all.
                            sigpic

Comment

Glad you had a great trip, there is a drive through Redwood tree in Leggett, CA just off Highway 101. Not too far from you actually. If you decide to drive the North end of Highway 1, you will likely drive right past it when you are connecting back to Highway 101. http://www.drivethrutree.com/ Maybe you can get a picture of the Lark in the tree and offer it to them to replace the Chevy on their web page.
                              Pat Dilling
                              Olivehurst, CA
                              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                              X