Automatic with Overdrive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic with Overdrive?

Quick question: Did Studebaker ever have a Flightomatic transmission with Overdrive? I was talking to someone who said they have a '64 that is so equipped. I have yet to see pictures to confirm or deny this, so I thought I'd seek knowledge from the collective hive mind in the mean time.

Thanks!
    Last edited by JimC; 09-29-2013, 03:29 PM.
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Not original anyway. The only overdrive Studebaker offered was the 3 speed w/o.d. stick on cars & trucks & the 5 speed o.d. on trucks. Never an automatic overdrive.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Studebaker never did....but there was an aftermarket overdrive unit available years ago called, I believe, a 'Hone' overdrive unit. It replaced the stock tailhousing on the Flightomatic (and any other model 8 borg warner auto trans.) It would be very interesting if that '64 was equipped with one of those units!

Comment

I've heard folks describe the overdrive on a Stude 3 speed stick as an "automatic overdrive"...and it is...kind of. With the handle in, it will automatically go into OD when the governor speed is reached. It will automatically come out of OD when you floor it.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll let you know what the real story is when I get out there.

I've thought many times that adding overdrive to an automatic could make it much more driveable. In our day in age with the Interstate and speed limits being what they are, it seems like the ol' Flightomatic needs one more speed to keep up. I can't imagine what an overdrive would do though in some situations. Freewheeling with a torque converter?

I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
          '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

The old Hone unit has evolved into the Gear Vendors overdrive.
            There is an 'inline' version that had a u-joint input and output that would allow installation into RV's with only some bracketry and a shortened driveshaft.
            Nice looking vintage installations here:
            http://www.gearvendors.com/custom.html
            The current Gear Vendors offering does not show a B/W case unit at all.
            (But I would bet they could built an adapter section to make one work...or maybe in their archives???).
            HTIH
            Jeff

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
            Studebaker never did....but there was an aftermarket overdrive unit available years ago called, I believe, a 'Hone' overdrive unit. It replaced the stock tailhousing on the Flightomatic (and any other model 8 borg warner auto trans.) It would be very interesting if that '64 was equipped with one of those units!
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The Warn Overdrive is the unit I want, just a simple lightweight aluminum Case, direct or Overdrive shifter that goes in the driveline just like the very expensive Gear Vendors unit, but it is old and rare.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Where can you buy a Warn unit today?
                New, and with a warranty?
                I'd like to check it out...
                Jeff

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                The Warn Overdrive is the unit I want, just a simple lightweight aluminum Case, direct or Overdrive shifter that goes in the driveline just like the very expensive Gear Vendors unit, but it is old and rare.
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Well actually Jeff, no one on this string has actually expressed any desire to buy an Overdrive, but this should be a clue as to it's availability:

QUOTE: "but it is old and rare."

I have however driven (several times) James Bell's '55 Stake Bed 3/4 ton Truck with Dual Wheels added that we rebuilt and installed a '64 Full Flow 259 Engine in, and with 4.09 Rear Gears and a T-98 4 Speed and the Warn behind, it is the sweetest driving Stude. Truck I have ever driven, both at 35 MPH and 70 MPH, way smoother than my New Process 5 Speed Overdrive is.

Where you find these nowadays is anybody's guess.
                  I did find a Over/Direct/Neutral or Under/Direct/Neutral H.D. Brownie Overdrive Auxiliary Trans. that came from a large Iowa farm truck. But those are just huge, heavy clumsy units that you would never put in a light Truck or Car.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 09-30-2013, 03:17 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Modern overdrive Autos also have a lock up convertor. While it makes no effective change in the ratio, it eliminates slippage and drops the RPM's. It is sort of like a close ratio 5th gear - so to speak.

On my 700R4 I find the lock up to be a detriment for non-highway driving. 3.07 rear gears and 16" tires don't help. The math says about 1,600+ RPM in Overdrive with the lock up at 65 MPH. My cheapie tach says about 1,800 RPM.

FYI, I ran the Chevy 350 (transmission) ratios and compared them gear to gear to the 700R4 with a 3.07 rear. The goal was to find what rear ratio I'd have to have with the 350 trans, per gear, to equal the 700R4 with the 3.07. This is what I got.

1st was equal to 3.73, 2nd equal to 3.31 third equal to a 3.07 and 4th was equal to a 2.15. The reason I bring that up is because first gear in a 700R4 must be mighty low if you have a 3.73 rear.
                    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Don't we take a simple yes/no question and wander all over the automotive universe?

Just to be as guilty as the rest, here's my latest addition to the aftermarket overdrive collection. It's a B&J overdrive I picked up at a local swap meet.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

I have a 3:54 rear in my Avanti and you don't want to be holding a cup of coffee on departure. 1st gear is really a stump puller.. I'd really like it of you could shift the thing manually and avoid 1st but can't do that. A 200-4R has a better gear spread..
                        64 GT Hawk (K7)
                        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                          Don't we take a simple yes/no question and wander all over the automotive universe?

Just to be as guilty as the rest, here's my latest addition to the aftermarket overdrive collection. It's a B&J overdrive I picked up at a local swap meet.

jack vines
                          Jack,......PM Sent

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                            I have a 3:54 rear in my Avanti and you don't want to be holding a cup of coffee on departure. 1st gear is really a stump puller.. I'd really like it of you could shift the thing manually and avoid 1st but can't do that. A 200-4R has a better gear spread..
                            If you have a 700-R THM you need a 3.07 Rear gear.
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

"If you have a 700-R THM you need a 3.07 Rear gear."

Well..., as far as 1st gear (3.06) is concern. As I stated above the overdrive and lock up convertor are not too "surface street" friendly. 45mph is barely above idling for the engine. Given 64V-7K's experience with 3.54's it would seem likely that the 3.20-3.30 range would be about right. Not for a racer, but a daily driver.

BTW, the 200R4 ratio is even more of an overdrive than the 700R4 (.68 vs .70). While .02 might not sound like much, when you are in the 1,500 RPM range at 65 MPH every little bit only adds to the problem.
                              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
                              X