PDA

View Full Version : We are restoring our Hawk what do you think?

RDWEAVER
09-29-2013, 07:32 AM
It is a frame off restore. The car is 1959 campfire red. I will post more pictures if you all are interested.

SN-60
09-29-2013, 07:40 AM
That color will look really nice on Your Hawk. And I wish to complement You for the manner in which You repaired that deck lid. Removing the deck lid 'skin' from its inner construction is rarely attempted!

Jerry Forrester
09-29-2013, 07:45 AM
More pix please. Lots more. Got an off site picture hosting link?

JoeHall
09-29-2013, 07:46 AM
Looks like you are sparing NO details in breathing new life back into her! I have never seen a trunk lid peeled off the super-structure. What was the purpose?
Thanks,
Joe

swvalcon
09-29-2013, 08:18 AM
Looking good so far. Yes what was the reason for peeling the outer skin on the lid? I did a hood once on a air induction Javlin that way as I couldn't find a hood but what a job.

BShaw
09-29-2013, 08:58 AM
Skinning the trunk lid is a daring endeavor, indeed. Did see it done once before in a YouTube vid by "ToolDudeTony" on his 57 Hawk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH8aphu8-L8&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL70DD647B4B0E98AC

bezhawk
09-29-2013, 09:05 AM
While the skin is off, it's a good idea to reinforce the side channels. If the hinges ever are neglected, that is the first place the trunk will bend. It's kind of like the hood corners, a little reinforcing helps a bunch. Did you use panel bond to re-attach the skin?

53commander
09-29-2013, 12:34 PM
I will post more pictures if you all are interested.

Yes please! Looking great so far.

63 R2 Hawk
09-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Well done! I've been involved in "skinning" a few doors, but not a trunk....

RDWEAVER
09-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Joe,
We had some severe dents right above the key without skinning it off there is no way to straighten them out. I tried pulling them but was not satisfied with the results. I looked for a good trunk and some were worse than mine, besides I enjoy a challenge. No need for panel bond there is a way to fold the material back over but you need to plan ahead before you remove it. I don't know much about PHOTOBUCKET but I will check and see if I can put some pictures there. Be patient I have to work tomorrow so I need to get some rest.
Looks like you are sparing NO details in breathing new life back into her! I have never seen a trunk lid peeled off the super-structure. What was the purpose?
Thanks,
Joe

BobPalma
09-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Very nice work. Stunning paint! :!: Congrats. BP

RDWEAVER
09-30-2013, 04:06 PM
I put some more pictures on photo bucket this is the link:http://s873.photobucket.com/user/judystude/library/?sort=3&page=1

More pix please. Lots more. Got an off site picture hosting link?

52 Ragtop
09-30-2013, 04:54 PM
You'll like the sound deadner/heat shield on the inside! It's not cheap, but it makes a BIG difference! Looking good.

Jim

jimmijim8
09-30-2013, 04:57 PM
No stone unturned. Very nice work. cheers jimmijim

JRoberts
09-30-2013, 05:18 PM
With that red paint you hawk will certainly be stunning.

jnormanh
09-30-2013, 05:57 PM
I put some more pictures on photo bucket this is the link:http://s873.photobucket.com/user/judystude/library/?sort=3&page=1

If Studebaker had built them that well in the first place, they'd still be in business.

Jerry Forrester
09-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Beautiful work. Judy has got to be grinning ear to ear.

Dick Steinkamp
09-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Very nice work! Love the engine compartment shot.

We have had some quite nice, high end builds posted recently (stock and modified). Keep them coming! Incentive for all of us on our projects and does the brand good to have these cars out there.

swvalcon
09-30-2013, 07:20 PM
What brand of sound deadner did you use on the bottom? Hope to get back to work on my 64 gt in another month. The stuff I was using is cream colored and you mix the paint right into it so it's a one step job.The inside I intend to use both a sound deadner undercoat and a spray on insulation. They claim 20-30 degrees drop in floor temp.

RDWEAVER
09-30-2013, 07:56 PM
It's from Eastwood the heavy duty stuff if I recall. Same as the name brand stuff but not quite as expensive, still pricey though. Easy to cut and apply my wife Barb did most of it. We call the Hawk JUDYSTUDE (it's a long story) by the way in case you noticed the name attached to the photo bucket folder.

Jerry Forrester
09-30-2013, 08:35 PM
It's from Eastwood the heavy duty stuff if I recall. Same as the name brand stuff but not quite as expensive, still pricey though. Easy to cut and apply my wife Barb did most of it. We call the Hawk JUDYSTUDE (it's a long story) by the way in case you noticed the name attached to the photo bucket folder.

Oh, I ass-u-med Judy was the wife. :-( My bad.
Okay, Barb must be grinning ear to ear.

55 56 PREZ 4D
10-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Lead, to attach the repair panel on the fender.
I've never seen that.
Will it hold without cracking or seperating ?
I'm not criticizing, just that I have only seen welded,
or in the old days [pre mig and tig], brazed,
or the new bonding glue.

RDWEAVER
10-02-2013, 04:56 PM
It is tack welded every inch or so then the welds were ground down just below the surface and lead over the top. I am not a body man but but I used to be a welder. I am hoping it will work for me. Any body men out there want to chime in with your thoughts? Thanks.
Lead, to attach the repair panel on the fender.
I've never seen that.
Will it hold without cracking or seperating ?
I'm not criticizing, just that I have only seen welded,
or in the old days [pre mig and tig], brazed,
or the new bonding glue.

swvalcon
10-02-2013, 06:14 PM
What you've done may hold up. I think I would have tacked it a lot closer than that. The biggest problem with lead is it is getting hard to find, has some health issues and what they make today isn't as good as it was years ago. Tinning and keeping everything clean is improtant. With the quailty of fillers today there is very few reasons to use it. I dont think I've used it in maybe 20-25 yrs.

RDWEAVER
10-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Barb likes your post. If we ever meet up I will share the story.:D
Oh, I ass-u-med Judy was the wife. :-( My bad.
Okay, Barb must be grinning ear to ear.

RDWEAVER
10-02-2013, 07:11 PM
I did it because I was worried about distortion from the heat I hope it will hold up because I am not ready to do it over.
What you've done may hold up. I think I would have tacked it a lot closer than that. The biggest problem with lead is it is getting hard to find, has some health issues and what they make today isn't as good as it was years ago. Tinning and keeping everything clean is improtant. With the quailty of fillers today there is very few reasons to use it. I dont think I've used it in maybe 20-25 yrs.