PDA

View Full Version : 1966 Cruiser Stockton CA

avantilover
09-29-2013, 05:10 AM
Hi all, does anyone live near Stockton CA?

There is a 1966 Cruiser for sale for$3500 at Xl liquidations which I'd like as a sister for my Daytona. I have asked Brian Greenall for a price to get the car to Australia but would like an opinion on the car from
a Studebaker lover.

Www.xlliquidation.com/auction/35/item/1435

I realize work needs to be done to tidy her up, but as long as she's in good shape not needing floors replaced etc I could do a deal.

Address is 2073 N. Wilson Way, Stockton CA 95205

Can anyone please take a look for me???

Bill Pressler
09-29-2013, 05:25 AM
Good luck, John. A gold with black vinyl top '66 Cruiser is probably what I'd be looking for next in a Stude--whenever that might be! ;)

avantilover
09-29-2013, 05:56 AM
Thx Bill, it seems good, but inspection will reveal the truth. We have to meet and discuss "our car" sometime.

I can buy the thing, just being careful. Besides someone needs to drive it away until it can be collected for shipping.

avantilover
09-29-2013, 06:07 AM
Then again, how can I deny you the "car of your dreams" if you want this one, I seem to have taken your former ride, gave her a nice bath tonight.

Bill Pressler
09-29-2013, 06:34 AM
Then again, how can I deny you the "car of your dreams" if you want this one, I seem to have taken your former ride, gave her a nice bath tonight.

Thanks John, but the reality for me is now I have a daughter in college we are doing all we can to help her get through without debt, as my parents did for me as well. And..a second daughter starting college year-after-next...I'm too old for this! LOL

I'm afraid an old car is on the back burner for the time being.

I do miss having one, especially on a sunny fall day like yesterday here.

I always enjoyed in October, usually, driving my Stude over to my sister's place about an hour-and-a-half away for winter storage, via green rolling hills and nice countryside; no interstates at all. Very relaxing drive.

Dick Steinkamp
09-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Looks very complete. The seats appear to have been redone, but nicely. The engine is probably not the original 283 since this one is orange with Chevy valve covers (not that it matters). If it was a Stockton car its whole life, that would be a good thing. Dry, Central Valley. I'd sure want a pre-purchase inspection, however....even at that relatively low price.

It reminds me of an almost identical car that Bob Peterson had a few years ago. I think that one ended up going to Australia also.

stude dude
09-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Bob Peterson's car went to New Zealand. His was also gold with a black vinyl roof.

Chris.

StudeRich
09-29-2013, 11:04 AM
That Cruiser appears to be about as fully loaded as you can get, it has Factory Air, Full Tinted Glass, P/S, PDB, Studebaker Transistorized Ignition (looks disconnected), Automatic, PB Radio, Heater, Vinyl Roof, W/S Washer you name it.

I did wonder about all of that Corrosion, and rust under the Hood, on the Engine and the whole Engine and compartment though, not normal for a dry Car. Also extremely dirty. Maybe it's been parked outside for years and or not driven, hard to tell.

I wish I could check it out for you John, but that's a bit of a drive.

Lou Van Anne
09-29-2013, 12:36 PM
I looked at it earlier this summer. At the time he wanted $4500. Not worth it...maybe $1000 at best. Be prepared to dump a lot of money into this one...it needs a full restoration.

LarkTruck
09-29-2013, 01:34 PM
I looked at it earlier this summer. At the time he wanted $4500. Not worth it...maybe $1000 at best. Be prepared to dump a lot of money into this one...it needs a full restoration.

I don't think anyone doubts the amount of money you could throw at this thing to RESTORE it. I think (there I go thinking again):woot: John's big concern is whether it is a solid (minimal rust) Calif. car.
Jim

avantilover
09-29-2013, 03:34 PM

I appreciate the information Lou, the main issue is that it's a vehicle which is solid and able to be used as a driver before restoration. The serial number reveals it's the 73rd V8 .Cruiser built.

I'm prepared for restoration costs, there were only 1844 V8 Cruisers built, where would you find another one?

Will confer with Brian and Chris to be confident I could get import approval before buying it.

Lou Van Anne
09-29-2013, 03:48 PM
In my opinion, it's not a driver. It wasn't running when I saw it. Records I found in the car indicate it was sold new in Merced. It appears to be a California car all it's life. I saw no evidence of rust. The seats had been recovered at some point, but incorrectly. All there, but too rough for me.

avantilover
09-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Thx Lou, will consider what to do, doesn't seem it's going to sell soon. Maybe it could be made to run without too much trouble?

Cheers

Warren Webb
09-29-2013, 05:32 PM
I believe it's an original California car just looking at the license plate. That series came out in 1962 & ended around 1970 (??) so one that starts with an "R" hits about the right time. It also has a Carter NOX emissions controller that was required by the state in the 70's for an additional smog control.

I don't see any trace of the "Lark stripe" rust starting on the fenders. That doesn't mean it was never there for it may have had rust repair done on it, but by the pictures anyway, it looks solid. Even if the engine is frozen, these belly button engines can be rebuilt for less than just about any other around. Add a good compound & wax to it & you could have a nice driver.

One thing I forgot to mention was the valve covers. They say "Chevrolet" which means that it may not even be the original engine since the original had plain covers with the Thunderbolt 283 stickers on them.

Dick Steinkamp
09-29-2013, 06:02 PM
One thing I forgot to mention was the valve covers. They say "Chevrolet" which means that it may not even be the original engine since the original had plain covers with the Thunderbolt 283 stickers on them.

Along with that, the engine is orange.

avantilover
09-29-2013, 06:41 PM
Well, as long as it's a 283 the government inspectors wouldn't care and it'd be painted correctly with correct rocker covers. No fooling these guys, they looked on the internet when my engine had chrome, not Black rocker covers. Fortunately the head of vehicle standards wandered by and I put him on to Chris Skinner who explained they were an option, so he and everyone else was happy and my car was approved.

Btw, they photograph the engine, interior, and trunk, and the photos must be in the car in case the Police pull you over for inspection, not likely but who can say.

StudeDave57
09-30-2013, 02:06 AM
Body tag streamer alert!!! :!:

StudeDave '57 :cool:

avantilover
09-30-2013, 03:58 AM
Body tag streamer alert!!! :!:

StudeDave '57 :cool:

Not sure what this means, in any case I hope to learn tomorrow that she is mine and will be here in Australia in around two months, allowing for Aussie Federal Bureaucracy to provide the import papers, and trans-pacific shipping to Melbourne.

She seems a lovely thing, needing some love and I intend to make her the best she can be, a car to be driven, not a trailer queen.

In any event does anyone happen to have a stash of '66 parts and accessories, in particular black splash guards.

Would like to find the more exotic items such as the compass, and vanity and the four way signal-stat hazard flasher.

2moredoors
09-30-2013, 06:20 AM
She seems a lovely thing, needing some love and I intend to make her the best she can be, a car to be driven, not a trailer queen,...
In any event does anyone happen to have a stash of '66 parts and accessories.
Inasmuch as Studebaker sold less than half in '66 of what they expected to there should be lots of NOS parts about. Especially from SI. I know that before SASCO was taken over there were lots of trim parts available, I bought quite a bit of trim from them. The only thing I could not buy was upholstery and interior door panels for my '66 Cruiser.
Good luck you have a well appointed car to look forward to.

avantilover
09-30-2013, 06:40 AM
Inasmuch as Studebaker sold less than half in '66 of what they expected to there should be lots of NOS parts about. Especially from SI. I know that before SASCO was taken over there were lots of trim parts available, I bought quite a bit of trim from them. The only thing I could not buy was upholstery and interior door panels for my '66 Cruiser.
Good luck you have a well appointed car to look forward to. Thanks Cliff, I look forward to receiving her, will be a nice present.

Will try SI.

avantilover
09-30-2013, 07:04 AM
Incidentally, what happened to the cruiser registry started by Mark Anderson? Tried to go there but it seems to have vanished.

8E45E
09-30-2013, 07:24 AM
Body tag streamer alert!!!

Yep, "vinyl roof". Can be seen in this photo of it:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2888/10030630006_b03bd3b5be_b.jpg

I have seen another '66 Cruiser with that same streamer.

Craig

2moredoors
09-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Incidentally, what happened to the cruiser registry started by Mark Anderson? Tried to go there but it seems to have vanished.
I have made at least three attempts to register my Cruiser, I have sent emails but no answer. I think he must have given up on the job. Too bad.

avantilover
09-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Good news she's mine, payment tomorrow then she'll be trucked to LA and prepared for shipping once the import documents are received.

Many thanks to all for advice I'll be sure to provide photos of the restoration.

2moredoors
10-01-2013, 06:09 AM
I am glad you bought it. Another Cruiser enthusiast. When you have it all fixed up it will be a "great" riding car.

avantilover
10-01-2013, 06:24 AM
I am glad you bought it. Another Cruiser enthusiast. When you have it all fixed up it will be a "great" riding car.

Thanks Cliff, it was a stroke of luck whilst browsing to see what 1966 Studebakers were for sale, fortunately Brian Greenall from Victoria has contacts and was able to negotiate a price, and will collect, store and ship here.

Should be nice, especially as it's the 73rd V8 Cruiser made and is fully loaded.

I wanted a retirement project, now I can supervise her restoration.

2moredoors
10-01-2013, 11:58 AM
There is a restored '66 Cruiser on ebay right now. Looks fairly well equipped. I think that it has been advertised before. You should have lots of fun re-doing yours.

avantilover
10-01-2013, 05:24 PM
There is a restored '66 Cruiser on ebay right now. Looks fairly well equipped. I think that it has been advertised before. You should have lots of fun re-doing yours.
I will indeed, can't wait to see her. I'll have to visit Canada and see yours someday.

2moredoors
10-01-2013, 05:34 PM
I will indeed, can't wait to see her. I'll have to visit Canada and see yours someday.
You are welcome to do so.

GThawkwind
10-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Well, as long as it's a 283 the government inspectors wouldn't care and it'd be painted correctly with correct rocker covers. No fooling these guys, they looked on the internet when my engine had chrome, not Black rocker covers. Fortunately the head of vehicle standards wandered by and I put him on to Chris Skinner who explained they were an option, so he and everyone else was happy and my car was approved.

Btw, they photograph the engine, interior, and trunk, and the photos must be in the car in case the Police pull you over for inspection, not likely but who can say.
What if you want to build a hot rod? Are they that strict about all cars? Congrats on the new car. Looks like it will be a fantastic driving car for you. I really like the 66 front ends too. Enjoy!

avantilover
10-02-2013, 04:39 AM
Well, this is for LHD cars - basically, it has to be identical (apart from changing the headlight angle to illuminate our side of the road) with what left the factory or with accessories available and documented in accessory books etc.

Hot Rods are covered under different regulations.

Gee, with (soon to be) 2 LHD cars, I'll forget how to drive a RHD one.

LOL