Bolt Circle 1947 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Bolt Circle 1947 Champion

Would any one know the bolt circle or diagonal measurement of the 4 lugs on the hubs? I am trying to modify the home made puller used on the Avanti hubs by adding 3 or 4 new holes to it for the 47 Champion. I can't seem to find this info through searching the forum.
    Regards
    Neil

Originally posted by avantibngrant View Post
    Would any one know the bolt circle or diagonal measurement of the 4 lugs on the hubs? I am trying to modify the home made puller used on the Avanti hubs by adding 3 or 4 new holes to it for the 47 Champion. I can't seem to find this info through searching the forum.
    Regards
    Neil
    Neil, I'm too lazy to look for it at 11:25 PM, but try to find that information for a four-lug 1978 and up Ford Fairmont or Mustang hub. It should be easier to find on line, and it is the same as the 4-lug Champions of your era. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      Neil, I'm too lazy to look for it at 11:25 PM, but try to find that information for a four-lug 1978 and up Ford Fairmont or Mustang hub. It should be easier to find on line, and it is the same as the 4-lug Champions of your era. BP
      Thanks Bob. Results are 4 bolts x 4.25" bolt circle. http://www.teufert.net/wheels/bolt-pat.htm

Comment

On our 1947 Champion, adjacent wheel studs are 2.75 inches apart, and opposing studs are 4.00 inches apart, centre to centre. And, while I think of it, the tires are 175-80R15, which "look right" and have performed very satisfactorily on a car that gets mostly highway driving. Previously I had used 195-75R15, which also were very satisfactory, but apparently are now difficult to find. My personal opinion is that larger tires, such as 205s, are too wide for the wheels.
        Bill Jarvis

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstude View Post
          On our 1947 Champion, adjacent wheel studs are 2.75 inches apart, and opposing studs are 4.00 inches apart, centre to centre. And, while I think of it, the tires are 175-80R15, which "look right" and have performed very satisfactorily on a car that gets mostly highway driving. Previously I had used 195-75R15, which also were very satisfactory, but apparently are now difficult to find. My personal opinion is that larger tires, such as 205s, are too wide for the wheels.
          Thanks Bill. I just went out a and verniered mine on my frame and you are right on the 4" circle. it is indeed not 4.25" This make the adjacent ones at 2.838" or so by trigonometry or in my case a sketch in Solidworks Cad. So it seems the Fairmont wheels are not the right sub after all.
          Regards

Neil
          Attached Files

Comment

This is just too easy... Go thru all your available wheels, and it will be whatever bolt pattern you do NOT have. At least that is how it works in my shop...

Actually, Chevy Monza and Vega used 4 on 4", and some British and Japanese cars also used that pattern. The Monza/Vega wheels are only 13" though, so probably not of interest. (I have a really nice set of factory alloys for one of those, but who wants 13s?)
            Corley

Comment

I'm doing some research along these lines too. I've found that many foreign and some domestic cars use a 4 x 100MM pattern.
              That is 3.94 inches. That's only .03 from center difference. Probably too much...really need 101.6 MM but there ain't one. BUT! Some Acura, Audi, AMC Eagle, Chevy Chevette, BMW etc.
              Go here for list. http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-r...#axzz2hpq1SBZS

Someone may have one of these cars in their driveway and can test fit for us.
              Last edited by Jefscoupe; 10-15-2013, 03:25 PM.

Comment

The 100 mm bolt pattern is very common on Japanese cars, although some of them are 5 bolt. We recently did a custom disc brake conversion and used some Toyota brake discs on a 64 Valiant, which had a 4 inch bolt pattern, and they fit with no interference. Worst case you might have to ream the holes a bit.
                Last edited by 48skyliner; 10-15-2013, 08:21 PM.
                Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Working...
                X