PDA

View Full Version : Sad Situation

Studedude
09-28-2013, 04:16 PM
Leland Laws, a long time SDC member, was involved in an accident while in route to our Perkins, OK car show this morning. We had a storm front moving through, and apparently an 18 wheeler clipped Leland's car, sending him into the center median, where he struck some pylons:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/DavesPlace_photos/MISC/Laws02_zpsa8ec4080.jpg (http://s142.photobucket.com/user/DavesPlace_photos/media/MISC/Laws02_zpsa8ec4080.jpg.html)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/DavesPlace_photos/MISC/Laws01_zps144c7412.jpg (http://s142.photobucket.com/user/DavesPlace_photos/media/MISC/Laws01_zps144c7412.jpg.html)

The truck driver did not stop. Leland is not injured, and his wife was not with him (which is unusual,) so we can be thankful of that.

Leland is a dedicated SDC member, and lives up to the "Driver" in SDC... today is a good example, he was going to the meet, rain or shine.

Let's be careful out there!!

Roscomacaw
09-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Thankful he's OK - that poor Clipper tho - has clipped to many pylons. :(

Chris Pile
09-28-2013, 05:07 PM
Dang! Isn't that the Packard he just bought recently? Too bad.
Glad Leland is not hurt.

Swifster
09-28-2013, 05:15 PM
Total Loss... :-(

JoeHall
09-28-2013, 06:05 PM
Ouch ! Glad the driver is OK. The trucker did not stop; wonder what the rest of the story is, but we'll probably never know, unless someone got a license number or some other identifying info.

Pat Dilling
09-28-2013, 06:22 PM
So sorry, glad he was not injured. Hope he is well insured.

Pat

showbizkid
09-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Can you say "gypsy trucker"? :mad:

jclary
09-28-2013, 06:41 PM
Can you say "gypsy trucker"? :mad:

Yep...I know what you mean. I also suspect others do too. So...let's leave it there and be sure not to take this thread in a direction it don't need to go.

The loss of the car is bad...but we all know this could have been much worse. My thoughts and prayers go to Leland. Now he has a unique tale of how tough the old Packard was that allowed him to survive the attack of the big-rig!

57hawk
09-28-2013, 06:43 PM
Sad Situation indeed but thankful it wasn't worse....

Dick Steinkamp
09-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Sorry your friend had to go through such a horrible experience, Dave. I'm glad he's OK, but sorry about his car.

Green53
09-28-2013, 07:01 PM
I hope they can find the trucker and hang him

Denny L

Studedude
09-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Dang! Isn't that the Packard he just bought recently? Too bad.
Glad Leland is not hurt.
Yep, yep, and yep.

s2dbkr
09-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Sad to see any vintage car in that state, glad no one was injuried. What kind of a storm was it, heavy rain, poor visibility, strong winds, etc. perhaps the wind pushed the trailer into the Clipper and the trucker never knew he had hit anyone, it does happen.

Studedude
09-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Sad to see any vintage car in that state, glad no one was injuried. What kind of a storm was it, heavy rain, poor visibility, strong winds, etc. perhaps the wind pushed the trailer into the Clipper and the trucker never knew he had hit anyone, it does happen.
That is feasible. Very heavy rain, and wind gusts likely, as the storm front was just rolling in. No witnesses, but with poor visibility, that is understandable. It is apparent, when looking at the passenger side of the car, that light contact was made between the two vehicles.

BobPalma
09-29-2013, 04:38 PM
Dang it, Dave; what a shame, especially under the circumstances. :mad: All the best to Leland from a fellow Clipper V8 owner; seeing one banged up is a bummer!

'Hope he's insured; perhaps the car can be repaired. :D Thankfully, he was not injured.

Again, all the best. :( BP

Studedude
09-29-2013, 05:04 PM
I thought of you when I first saw the pictures, Bob. As bad as this is, the good news is that Leland is not without another Packard. He's had this beauty for some time:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/DavesPlace_photos/Tulsa%2008/100_0098.jpg (http://s142.photobucket.com/user/DavesPlace_photos/media/Tulsa%2008/100_0098.jpg.html)

I know he's heartsick over this incident, but I know him well enough to know he'll be back!

rodnutrandy
09-29-2013, 06:01 PM
I know that can happen without being at fault, I had a motor home almost push me into a concrete abutment on 75 South . He loss control in a construction site and came onto my side of road . Person behind me said he couldn't have put his hand between us. Glad no one was hurt and sad car was damaged so badly !

BobPalma
09-29-2013, 06:13 PM
I thought of you when I first saw the pictures, Bob. As bad as this is, the good news is that Leland is not without another Packard. He's had this beauty for some time:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/DavesPlace_photos/Tulsa%2008/100_0098.jpg (http://s142.photobucket.com/user/DavesPlace_photos/media/Tulsa%2008/100_0098.jpg.html)

I know he's heartsick over this incident, but I know him well enough to know he'll be back!

That's a sweetheart, Dave; a 1954 Clipper Panama.

Fairly rare, too: They only made Clipper Panamas 3 model years, and his 1954 is the rarest, one of 3,618 built.

1955 went up to 7,016 Panamas, but by 1956 (like my Panama), production was down to 3,999.

By 1956, they were also downplaying the Panama sub-name. Early 1956 literature calls the 1956 Clipper Super hardtop a Panama, but that script appears nowhere on the car, as it did in 1954 and 1955.

By mid-1956, they simply identified the car as a Clipper Super hardtop, pretty much ignoring the Panama name.

Anyway, Leland's two-tone green example is certainly nice. Please give him by regards. :cool: BP

Studedude
09-30-2013, 01:33 PM
I called Leland today to check up on him. Other than the car, all is well... no unanticipated soreness, etc.

More good news... he is insured by Hagerty. They towed his car home for him, and he is waiting for a call from the adjuster.

I have found a possible replacement for the car, in case it is totaled. He wants nothing older than a '53 or '54.

MORE GOOD NEWS! He plans to attend the North Central Zone meet in McPherson next week end. (He thinks Momma might be more comfortable if he tows the Panama this trip.... she plans to ride along.)

'Told ya he'd jump right back in the saddle!

8E45E
09-30-2013, 01:53 PM
That is feasible. Very heavy rain, and wind gusts likely, as the storm front was just rolling in. No witnesses, but with poor visibility, that is understanding. It is apparent, when looking at the passenger side of the car, that light contact was made between the two vehicles.

Possible empty trailer + wet road + sudden gust of wind would definitely be a cause of it. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind Leland was 'being careful out there'; especially in those conditions. I'm glad he's alright, and I hope his Packard can be rebuilt.

Craig

ST2DE5
09-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Poor old Leland he sure has his troubles. One day after a rain he was going to get on his aluminum trailer when it was wet his feet came up and he set down pretty hard.

Studedude
09-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Poor old Leland he sure has his troubles. One day after a rain he was going to get on his aluminum trailer when it was wet his feet came up and he set down pretty hard.
Yep, but ya gotta admire his determination to carry on!

Are you going to the McPherson meet, Carl?

ST2DE5
09-30-2013, 06:35 PM
We will be there if nothing happens.

Studedude
09-30-2013, 06:40 PM
We will be there if nothing happens.
I'm going to enter a post in the North Central Zone Talk forum, asking Chris and others to keep us posted on possible severe weather Fri. and Sat. in Kansas.

You might want to follow that thread, and I'm going to recommend that Leland watch it, as well... we don't want to run him completely out of Packards!! :eek:

Looks like we have a threat of severe weather in our area, to include strong winds, large hail, and a possibility of tornadoes on Friday.

I've never let wind, heavy rain, sleet, or snow flurries stop me from traveling in the Stude, but I do draw the line at black ice, deep snow, tornadoes, and large hail. :whome: