Learned something today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learned something today

Well...68 years old...and still learning. Many of you may say, "I already knew that."...but just in the event others have ignored the obvious, I'm not ashamed to share that I had missed this little deal for years!

Recently, we have had a couple of threads about jacks, lifting, and supporting our vehicles when working on them. Also, as usual, our subject wanders, swerves, and weaves off-topic from time to time. It was reading one of the prior threads that reminded me that I wanted to buy a couple of additional ratchet style jack stands. My favorite jack stands are a pair that I had bought probably twenty five years ago. So...a couple of weeks ago, I stopped by a local Northern Tool store and bought a pair of 3ton jack stands on sale for about twenty five bucks. Today, I finally got around to opening the box and checking them out. I set one of my old stands next to the new ones for comparison. Three rather obvious differences were quickly apparent. The new ones are smaller (less material) and the parts were formed and assembled from fewer parts (less welding). Also, the new ones have an additional locking pin to double the safety factor of the ratcheting mechanism.

One thing on both, that I have never paid any attention to, was an odd shaped hole punched into the body of both stands. Suddenly, a little light went on in my feeble brain (duh).
    You ever get in a hurry, grab one of these jack stands by the "post," only to leave the base behind? Or, worse, while calling on one of my industrial customers, I once saw a maintenance worker drop the base of a ratchet jack stand on his foot when the base slipped off the post.

That weird shaped hole forms a "tab" that is to be bent in to lock the post in place and prevent it from sliding out! The reason they are NOT shipped with the post "locked" and the tab already bent in...is because they can be shipped un-assembled in a smaller package.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jack stands.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	1740695

I know...it is a very little detail, but if you tend to misplace things, lose things that belong together...or, like that poor maintenance worker...find creative ways to hurt yourself...this could be important. This is what I learned today.

So...now, any of you needing to place jack stands under your Studebaker while the wheels are off, have no excuse to be looking for the post or base that got separated since it was last used.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

This sure got me thinking...

Comment

I reckon we're a bit the same you & me; I usually just start using the stuff & then it's just pure luck if I at a coffee brake or such happen to exam the it or somebody telling me 'bout it...
      (& I'm only 53)

Comment

Yes I admit to using this type for years before when assembling a new set I discovered the "Tabs" and thought it would be a good idea to bend them since I am always dropping the posts without them.
        Maybe I actually READ the Instructions, I don't know!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I just looked at one I got from big lots and they put a sticker in that area telling you to bend that tab. Of course I never did yet.

Comment

Reminds me of this thread:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...o-tell-me-this!
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Good connection, Bob. I thought of that too. But, I had already thought my post was long enough without including that. Good catch!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

That's one of my boss's companies...

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                X