63 Lark convertible front end weights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Lark convertible front end weights

Are the front end body weights on a 63 Lark convertible painted body color or another color?
    thanks

All mine are just raw steel.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I agree with Warren, the only time I have seen them painted is on re-paints.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        I agree with Warren, the only time I have seen them painted is on re-paints.
        I painted mine.. That is after blasting off the undercoating which removed 1lb from each weight.

Comment

out of five Wagonaires I owned, two were painted black on the front side when I removed them for body work.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The weights on my 63 convertible were rust color, both in 1982 when first taken off, and now, on its second and full restoration. the back sides of the weights did, however, have some undercoat overspray on them. If they were painted originally, it was a very light misting.
            Lew Schucart
            Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

I've got a 1963 Convertible and have never noticed these weights. Where are they?

Allen
              1964 GT Hawk
              PSMCDR 2014
              Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
              PSMCDR 2013
              Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
                I've got a 1963 Convertible and have never noticed these weights. Where are they?

Allen
                Behind the front bumper there should be two bolts on each side going into the front panel - the weights are on the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                  Behind the front bumper there should be two bolts on each side going into the front panel - the weights are on the other side.

I just went outside to look at the Lark's front dog house that has been living behind my shop for 5 months while I have added Turner Brakes, new R1 Engine and powershift transmission. Yes there are two holes through the front panel and two holes in a bracket behind it. Looks like I am missing both weights.

Next question. What are these missing weights for?

Allen
                  1964 GT Hawk
                  PSMCDR 2014
                  PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
                    I just went outside to look at the Lark's front dog house that has been living behind my shop for 5 months while I have added Turner Brakes, new R1 Engine and powershift transmission. Yes there are two holes through the front panel and two holes in a bracket behind it. Looks like I am missing both weights.

Next question. What are these missing weights for?

Allen
                    Ideally, they were meant to solve a cowl shake problem. If you've been driving your car without them and don't have any issues, then don't worry about it.

Malcolm Berry took them off of the front of his Wagonaire in 1969 and put them in the rear quarters for better traction at the drag strip. I think he only pulled them out within the last couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                      Ideally, they were meant to solve a cowl shake problem. If you've been driving your car without them and don't have any issues, then don't worry about it.

Malcolm Berry took them off of the front of his Wagonaire in 1969 and put them in the rear quarters for better traction at the drag strip. I think he only pulled them out within the last couple of years.

Thanks for the information Matt. I will see if I get the shakes in the front cowl when I get her back together in the next couple of weeks.

Allen
                      1964 GT Hawk
                      PSMCDR 2014
                      PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I have a 62 Lark Convertible and without the weights, the car shakes like a wheel or two are out of balance. Once I installed the weights it drive smooth as silk. I painted mine black.
                        Cheers,
                        Jeff

sigpic

Comment

Often, people claim that they do not need those weights, that they do not feel the difference. I then have them follow their car at road speeds. When they see the car shaking, they realize that there was a reason that the weights were added. Studebaker did not add all of that weight to certain models for the fun of it.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                          X