"Swapmeet" Forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Swapmeet" Forum?

It always struck me as odd that there isn't a "classifieds" section of the forum. Is there any particular reason for that, or has one never been made "just because?" Seems to me it would be a handy resource to have!

I got thinking about it this evening when I was going through the boxes of assorted parts that came with my pickup. In sorting through several of the boxes, I found a lot of parts that I'll never use- many for vehicles I do not even own! I cleaned up a few, took snapshots, and wrapped them up in bubble wrap, intending to sell 'em, or give them away to folks who could put them to better use. There's always eBay, sure, but many(most?) of these these parts are hardly worth the trouble of selling at all, much less listing them on eBay. It would be nice to have a place where I could go to ensure that these parts would go to folks who really need them.

Hi, Dutch,

Good suggestion. However, Turning Wheels derives a substantial portion of its income from the classified ads. "For added value and convenience for our members, here are the classified ads from the most current issue of Turning Wheels magazine. Sorry, we cannot accept web ads only and please do not send your want ad requests to the webmaster." is the current SDC policy. Giving away potential classified revenue here on its own forum has to be approached cautiously.

What would SDC members think about a Forum section for "Free to a good home." and an "One only, less than $25." It is almost impossible to keep the dealers from crowding in on free ads, but the discussion is worthwhile.

thnx, jv

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Comment

Hi, Dutch,

Good suggestion. However, Turning Wheels derives a substantial portion of its income from the classified ads. "For added value and convenience for our members, here are the classified ads from the most current issue of Turning Wheels magazine. Sorry, we cannot accept web ads only and please do not send your want ad requests to the webmaster." is the current SDC policy. Giving away potential classified revenue here on its own forum has to be approached cautiously.

What would SDC members think about a Forum section for "Free to a good home." and an "One only, less than $25." It is almost impossible to keep the dealers from crowding in on free ads, but the discussion is worthwhile.

thnx, jv

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

You can post Stude parts for sale free here:

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

You can post Stude parts for sale free here:

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tw_adpolicies.asp

It's on the "sticky" at the top of this page titled "Forum Policies"

It seems to be working OK. It might be even better to separate the for sale and wanted items into a different sub forum...but it seems we have a hard enough time separating the "general discussion" topics from the "technical talk" .

There is always the "Studebaker Parts Swap Page" also over here...

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tw_adpolicies.asp

It's on the "sticky" at the top of this page titled "Forum Policies"

It seems to be working OK. It might be even better to separate the for sale and wanted items into a different sub forum...but it seems we have a hard enough time separating the "general discussion" topics from the "technical talk" .

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8
                Giving away potential classified revenue here on its own forum has to be approached cautiously.
                I had no idea that TW relied so heavily on classifieds revenue.

quote:

What would SDC members think about a Forum section for "Free to a good home." and an "One only, less than $25."
                I doubt most people would bother placing a print ad for a $25 item, so that would cover your first point. Good idea!

quote:
                It is almost impossible to keep the dealers from crowding in on free ads, but the discussion is worthwhile.
                I disagree. My "home" forum has a classifieds subforum, and their number one rule, posted for all to see, is "Open to private individuals, only. No vendors, dealers, or SPAM." Violation of said rule gets a whack with the banstick. The penalty is stiff enough that even with ~300k+ unique visitors each month to said subforum, we hardly ever have problems; one a year, maybe two?

Of course...
                quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/swap.php
                ...I had no idea that existed, so it may be redundant.

Comment

Giving away potential classified revenue here on its own forum has to be approached cautiously.
                  I had no idea that TW relied so heavily on classifieds revenue.

quote:

What would SDC members think about a Forum section for "Free to a good home." and an "One only, less than $25."
                  I doubt most people would bother placing a print ad for a $25 item, so that would cover your first point. Good idea!

quote:
                  It is almost impossible to keep the dealers from crowding in on free ads, but the discussion is worthwhile.
                  I disagree. My "home" forum has a classifieds subforum, and their number one rule, posted for all to see, is "Open to private individuals, only. No vendors, dealers, or SPAM." Violation of said rule gets a whack with the banstick. The penalty is stiff enough that even with ~300k+ unique visitors each month to said subforum, we hardly ever have problems; one a year, maybe two?

Of course...
                  quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/swap.php
                  ...I had no idea that existed, so it may be redundant.

Comment

Is the owner of studebakerswap.com on this forum? Any effort to help the Stude community should be encouraged and supported. As a suggestion the owner might look at craigslist.org It is organized by posted date with latest at the top, so it is easy to see what is new and not necessary to read through stuff sold years ago. At first glance, many of the ads on studebakerswap.com may be literally years old. Just a thought.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                    PackardV8

Comment

Is the owner of studebakerswap.com on this forum? Any effort to help the Stude community should be encouraged and supported. As a suggestion the owner might look at craigslist.org It is organized by posted date with latest at the top, so it is easy to see what is new and not necessary to read through stuff sold years ago. At first glance, many of the ads on studebakerswap.com may be literally years old. Just a thought.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                      PackardV8

Comment

Is the owner of studebakerswap.com on this forum?
                        The registrant of that domain is one Mr. Keith Johnson of Midland, Michigan.

Does that help?

Comment

Is the owner of studebakerswap.com on this forum?
                          The registrant of that domain is one Mr. Keith Johnson of Midland, Michigan.

Does that help?

Comment

When I go on there I click the current month button and the most current ad is on the bottom of that page.
                            Hope this helps
                            Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

When I go on there I click the current month button and the most current ad is on the bottom of that page.
                              Hope this helps
                              Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X