PDA

View Full Version : Four Decades, Four Studebaker Icons

BobPalma
09-24-2013, 07:20 AM
Four decades of Studebaker icons: Ted Harbit, born in the 1930s; George D. Krem, born in the 1940s; The Chicken Hawk, born in the 1950s; and The Plain Brown Wrapper, born in the 1960s:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/geotedchchallenger_zpse9d13402.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/BobPalma/media/geotedchchallenger_zpse9d13402.jpg.html)

(I'm not sure in what decade Ted's Pomeranian de jour, Coughy, was born.)

This photo is from film photography days; 1998. It was taken on Ted's front lawn in the wee morning hours before we loaded what would later become known as The Plain Brown Wrapper and headed north to Stanton MI for the car's first-ever appearance at The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race. Early dawn was a poor time to take a photograph with a modest-quality camera, so I've doctored up the photo as best as I can with modern editing.

'Lookin' good in any case....and we've also represented the bookend years of the famous Studebaker V8 engine. Cool Beans. :!: BP

warrlaw1
09-24-2013, 12:26 PM
So that's what George looks like sans hat? Cool (lol).

studegary
09-24-2013, 12:42 PM
So that's what George looks like sans hat? Cool (lol).

More like what he looked like 15 years ago. (He hadn't changed a lot the last time that I saw him.)

HAWK64
09-24-2013, 08:21 PM
More like what he looked like 15 years ago. (He hadn't changed a lot the last time that I saw him.)

George remains virtually unchanged since I saw him in the eighties on his visit to Perth in Australia.

SN-60
09-24-2013, 08:24 PM
R.I.P. 'Chicken Hawk'

stude dude
09-24-2013, 09:38 PM
What does the Chicken Hawk look like these days? I know is was badly damaged but I am curious about this historic vehicle. Could it ever be fixed? What happened to its impressive drivetrain?

Chris.

Bob Andrews
09-24-2013, 09:48 PM
As you would say, Cool Beans :)

R3 challenger
09-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Sorry if my lack of a hat in this photo caused any overexposure, Bob...I had just applied the daily dose of Meguiar's Quik Wax on my head. <G>

On a more serious note, the Chicken Hawk is sorely missed, but we're thankful its builder is still with us and doing just fine. A little-known fact is that Ted had made some changes in the fuel delivery system of the Chicken Hawk just before the accident. The 1/8-mile speed and ET on that last run indicated that it may have been headed for an impressive quarter mile time in the high nines when disaster struck.

George

BobPalma
09-25-2013, 08:20 PM
What does the Chicken Hawk look like these days? I know is was badly damaged but I am curious about this historic vehicle. Could it ever be fixed? What happened to its impressive drivetrain? Chris.

Chris, Ted salvaged what he could of the drivetrain; the parts that were not broken! There weren't many.

If you tried to "fix" the car, and insisted that that very body and frame be repaired regardless of cost, I honestly believe you would have close to $100,000 in metal and frame straightening alone, before paint. It is simply wadded up beyond description.

Of course, that assumes you could find someone to do it "regardless of price." That person (or shop) would have to be the most skilled on the planet, and that is no exagerration.

Honestly, the car is beyond repair. I've seen it up close and personal and examined it from every angle a couple of times. I've seen a lot of damage in my 53 years of playing with cars, but never have I seen so much total destruction on any one vehicle. :eek:

And that is not an exagerration, either. :( BP