'53 Coupe dome light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '53 Coupe dome light

My early '53 Coupe (serial 8311143) left the factory sans dome light. Before I install the headliner I would like to obtain and install a dome light.

Other than a picture of its approximate location I can find no information on exactly where and how it is attached. Anyone have a good picture of fixture in place without headliner or a good description of what I need to do? Wiring's not an issue; just obtaining and installing.

Thanks

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Just asking because I don't know the answer. Did 53 coupes have a dome light above the door like later Hawks?
    The 53 hardtops have the "Dome Light" under the dash.

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

Just asking because I don't know the answer. Did 53 coupes have a dome light above the door like later Hawks?
      The 53 hardtops have the "Dome Light" under the dash.

Gary Sanders
      Nixa, MO
      President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
      Gary Sanders
      Nixa, MO

Comment

My Starliner has both a dome light over the driver's door and the under dash map light. I guess I always thought that all C/K's (at least the Regal models) had both.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

My Starliner has both a dome light over the driver's door and the under dash map light. I guess I always thought that all C/K's (at least the Regal models) had both.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:The 53 hardtops have the "Dome Light" under the dash.
            That's what mine has, and it's a Regal; more of a map light than a dome light, and, being under the dash, they were quite ineffective. Anyone know when they were changed?
            Brad Johnson,
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:The 53 hardtops have the "Dome Light" under the dash.
              That's what mine has, and it's a Regal; more of a map light than a dome light, and, being under the dash, they were quite ineffective. Anyone know when they were changed?
              Brad Johnson,
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I feel pretty sure that the hardtops did not have both lights one under dash and one over door. I can check the manuals when I get home.

Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO
                Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO

Comment

I feel pretty sure that the hardtops did not have both lights one under dash and one over door. I can check the manuals when I get home.

Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO
                  Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gary1953

The body parts book lists both the dome light and the courtesy light for ALL '53-55 car models...Champions and Commanders. I don't know if this means that all came with both OR if you could install both in all models. Mine has both and no mention of either on the production order.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gary1953

The body parts book lists both the dome light and the courtesy light for ALL '53-55 car models...Champions and Commanders. I don't know if this means that all came with both OR if you could install both in all models. Mine has both and no mention of either on the production order.

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I have a friends 54 Starliner in my garage. It has both if that helps

Pat
                        Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA
                        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I have a friends 54 Starliner in my garage. It has both if that helps

Pat
                          Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA
                          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

My '53 Commander Coupe never had a 'dome' light, just the map light under the dash. It was No. 1013 Body.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars1.jpg[/img=left]
                            Tom Bredehoft
                            '53 Commander Coupe
                            '60 Lark VI
                            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                            All three Indiana built OD cars

Comment

My '53 Commander Coupe never had a 'dome' light, just the map light under the dash. It was No. 1013 Body.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars1.jpg[/img=left]
                              Tom Bredehoft
                              '53 Commander Coupe
                              '60 Lark VI
                              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                              All three Indiana built OD cars

Comment

Working...
                              X