Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Frank for that fender Spear from C Springs

Frank,
    Just a public thanks for the spears, hood ornament and other goodies I purchased from you at C Springs. Close inspection of the 2 hoods I have established that once I looked past sun fade and a little surface rust, either would do just fine so I won't need your Speedster hood.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1702.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1740642

As you can see the guy who buys Bondo by the quart and Putty by the gallon is making progress. Front clip now has fender patches, 2 coats of epoxy primer, 2 coats of primer surfacer and enough blocking to identify the voids that need putty or Bondo. Amazed how well rust pits filled but I'll lay on two more coats of primer/surfacer before finish blocking.

A close look from this impatient trial fit of this spear reveals that these spears may be for a different model but they are mint as the fender drops off just a bit at the front of the spears... Bondo to the rescue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1702.jpg
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1740642Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1703.jpg
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1740654
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mmagic; 09-22-2013, 01:51 PM.

Perhaps you have a bit too much product on the fenders and just need to board that surface off some. I would check light bezel fit to the fender before adding more and than being to high for a light fit. Allen

Comment

Glad you are happy with the purchase you made from us Merlin, however I thought these NOS fender spears were correct for your Speedster. Surely there is someone here that can chime in on this. Someone somewhere will need that '55 Speedster hood at some point, so we will load it for the next swap meet. Myself as well as many others have been following your progress from day to day.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I guess someone needs to look up the '53 and '54 Sedan Spears to see if they are a different part number.

I am also thinking that you have them too far forward, would that help to move them back, probably make it worse right?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

SR.. perhaps you are right. the front clip is from another non-Speedster '55 C/K. and I used the existing holes. Based on other pics of Speedsters they appear to be spaced right.

Not an issue as I lifted the fender under the front tip by 1/8" with Bondo and it is not noticeable unless you know it is there. The Spears are gorgeous! I would hate to have to resort to the half dozen others I have. If not NOS, they are very good reproductions and if the latter that could be the issue.

I'm not at all upset... just glad I was so anxious to visualize the finished product that I tried them on. The art of restore is making things work that may not be exactly perfect while making the outcome appear correct. I think we are there with the spears. Just a note to self and the next guy to try on parts like this while there is still time to make adjustments.

Frank, as far as I'm concerned they are absolutely the right ones.

Comment

Merlin; I can tell you this, there is certainly little or no demand for those Fender Ornaments sufficient to have them Reproduced, so I would say no they are not that!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes correct Rich they are not repo's as I recall most were in Studebaker sleeves which were deteriorating so they were rewrapped by us.
              Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              Merlin; I can tell you this, there is certainly little or no demand for those Fender Ornaments sufficient to have them Reproduced, so I would say no they are not that!
              Frank van Doorn
              Omaha, Ne.
              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

All I know is they are jewels that will distract attention away from any flaws in my paint work. They could have been NOS, reproductions or ridden on your personal vehicle for 58 years and I didn't care... they are beautiful.

Comment

Working...
                X