PDA

View Full Version : Avanti title

floydjaehnert
09-21-2006, 09:45 PM
I want to have my Minnesota title corrected to show my Avanti R-4716 as a 1963 rather than the 1964 that it is presently titled. What reference can I use to prove it is a 1963 and where is that reference available.

rockne10
09-21-2006, 09:59 PM
The production order is available from the Studebaker National Museum. They provide a photocopy of the original and a newly typed one for your use.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

studegary
09-21-2006, 11:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by floydjaehnert

I want to have my Minnesota title corrected to show my Avanti R-4716 as a 1963 rather than the 1964 that it is presently titled. What reference can I use to prove it is a 1963 and where is that reference available.

It seems like this has already been asked and answered, or is my memory playing tricks on me.
Your car was assembled in June 1963 and was built as part of the 1963 model year run and is considered to be a 1963 by Studebaker people.
With that said, technically and legally your car may be correctly titled as a 1964. Studebaker Service Letter Number G-1964-3, dated September 27, 1963, states, in part,"...for registration purposes only, effective September 1, 1963 and until further notice, all new and unused Avanti models when first sold at retail and which are licensed or titled for the first time, will carry the registration year designation of 1964."

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

StudeRich
09-22-2006, 04:46 AM
Note that the service letter says: "registration year". In Calif. the titles and registration cards have provision for "Year Model" and "Year First Sold" this is where the 1964 belongs, NOT in the year model! However I do not know how Minn. titles are setup, all states SHOULD be this way, of course they are not.

quote:Originally posted by studegary
[br
for registration purposes only, effective September 1, 1963 and until further notice, all new and unused Avanti models when first sold at retail and which are licensed or titled for the first time, will carry the registration year designation of 1964."

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

studegary
09-22-2006, 04:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Note that the service letter says: "registration year". In Calif. the titles and registration cards have provision for "Year Model" and "Year First Sold" this is where the 1964 belongs, NOT in the year model! However I do not know how Minn. titles are setup, all states SHOULD be this way, of course they are not.

quote:Originally posted by studegary
[br
for registration purposes only, effective September 1, 1963 and until further notice, all new and unused Avanti models when first sold at retail and which are licensed or titled for the first time, will carry the registration year designation of 1964."

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Yes, I have noted that distinction in the past, but I have also run across many states that registered and titled 1963 Avantis that were sold new later as 1964s. Also, many states did not issue separate registration and title documents for cars at that time. For example, New York State did not/does not issue titles for pre-1973 cars. They issue a registration that is to be used for the transfer of ownership for pre-1973 cars (all Studebakers).

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Scott
09-22-2006, 05:03 PM
I heard about one dealer that still had new Studebakers on his lot as late as late as 1968! Does that mean that one of those sold after 1966 for the first time might be registered somewhere as a 1967 or 1968 Studebaker?

floydjaehnert
09-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Gentlemen: Thank you for your input, my build sheet is dated June of 1963. Everyone seems to agree that R-4716 should be considered a 1963 Model Avanti. My local DMV registrar says he can get the title changed to 1963 if I can produce some printed documentation that this serial # falls into the 1963 catagory. My problem is where to find such information.

rockne10
09-22-2006, 09:36 PM
Wouldn't the production order from the Studebaker National Museum, which would indicate the Final Assembly Date, satisfy that requirement?

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

Swifster
09-22-2006, 09:46 PM
It did for the state of Michigan. The small titling errors made during it's lifetime in California were corrected with the build sheet and a photograph of the Serial Number plate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com

Thomas63R2
09-22-2006, 11:16 PM
It may surprise you what your DMV or Highway Patrol may accept for verification of year. My Avanti was originally sold in California, then went to Arizona, then Utah, then Nevada, and then back to California. The registration I had reflected the body number rather than the serial number on the frame. It appeared to go through the change when it was in Utah. It was important for me to get that detail straightened out, and I did get it done. I had all of the following: original window sticker, factory and dealer paperwork with frame serial and body numbers, and various registration documents from past owners. After going through several inspections; first at the DMV, and then at the Highway Patrol the final inspector was firm in the belief that my serial number plate on the frame did not have enough numbers! So I brought my factory workshop manual and showed him where it indicated that the sequental number only had four numbers after the "R". He was looking for the "-" to be another number.

Thomas

New Stude guy! Long time hot rodder
'63 Avanti R2 4 speed with interesting plans

Retired
10-05-2007, 09:02 PM
TW's, SDC Magazine published a list of Avanti serials by year and month. This was long ago. I copied the list in the back of my Avanti Repair Manual.
This is how I discovered when my Avanti was built. I later obtained a copy of the production order. It confirmed the Year/Month in the listing.

Green53
10-08-2007, 12:50 AM
Several years ago I had a 63 R2 Avanti that was titled as a 64. At that time I took it to the Nebraska DMV and they changed it to 63 with no problem. It may be tougher today. I have found the Arizona DMV to be a lot tougher than Nebraska.
Denny L

10-09-2007, 02:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by floydjaehnert

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. My former '64 Avanti serial 5420 was titled originally in California as a '63. I guess it was sold in '63. California also added a "B" to the end of the numeber, a separate story entirely.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine

wally
10-14-2007, 08:40 PM
I had a 71 Gto that was titled as a 70, and a 69 Pontiac Tempest that was titled as a Ford, owing to typos. The 71 only required an "OD/ID" statement from a private inspection station to correct the typo, but the Tempest had to be taken to a Highway Patrol District Headquarters, to ascertain that the vin on the title corresponded to the Pontiac. The title came back "Ford" AGAIN. So, this time I took the title into the License bureau with my paperwork and had them process it again, and it came back correct a few weeks later. This was about 10 years ago.

Lenny R2
10-14-2007, 09:30 PM
My Avanti 4442 is a 63 but is titled as a 64.I heard someware
when the Avantis were not sold by the end of 63 the dealers were
told they can sell them as 64s.

Lenny
Atlanta Ga.

staghorn916
10-15-2007, 12:07 PM
It may depend on WHEN the car was sold NEW off the lot. I know here in TN I've heard of 1968 Studebaker titles and actually SEEN a 1966 Ford pickup titled as a 2001 model, because that was the year it was FIRST titled. Also trailers are SOMETIMES titled here based on WHEN they were FIRST titled/registred, depending on which hillbilly County Clerk you got to.

staghorn916
10-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Scott, there are supposed to be 1968 Studebakers floating around as well as a rumored 1973 model. Of course these probably should be considered the year they were actully built, following there production order. Most are just typos or ignorant officails.

studegary
10-15-2007, 03:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by Lenny R2

My Avanti 4442 is a 63 but is titled as a 64.I heard someware
when the Avantis were not sold by the end of 63 the dealers were
told they can sell them as 64s.

Lenny
Atlanta Ga.

Studebaker Service Letter of 9/27/63 states in part;"...effective September 1, 1963 and until further notice, all new and unused Avanti models when first sold at retail and which are licensed or titled for the first time, will carry the registration year designation of 1964."

Your Avanti is from late 1963 model production and should now be considered a 1963 model, but probably wasn't sold and titled until after September 1 and received a 1964 title.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer