Cult car, nostalgia and the Studebaker advantage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cult car, nostalgia and the Studebaker advantage

Anytime your dealing in "Classics" you are trading primarily in nostalgia. Your market is to the car the buyer had as a kid, wished he had as a kid, his best friend had when he was a kid, his family had when he was a kid etc. For this reason I credit the recent (5 to 10 year) shakeout in classic car prices to be as much related to WWII baby boomers redirecting their financial priorities to retirement needs as I do to the economy of the last 6 years.

Personally, although I've minor restored to flip or auction a number of brand "X" vehicles, I was raised on Studebakers, a close family friend had a Studebaker dealership, I watched through the window in SB while the first Avanti's were assembled, my first 2 cars were Studebakers, and 3 of my college friends and my college flame were Studebakers (only remotely related) so I had a bit of a nostalgic connection.

I have always wanted a '53 through '55 C/K for a keeper as I believed the styling to be both timeless and Studebaker's finest design. The Avanti ran a close second for me, and the Hawks were kind of the 3rd mistress of the evening. I appreciated the re-engineering on a shoestring uniqueness of the Champ and the Lark but neither were high on my must have list. My Champ was built from crusher to driver was intended to be eduction for my Speedster build. However, the enjoyment, parade fun and pictures it has elicited has exceeded the financial and time investment exponentially so my appreciation for the Champ has evolved.

To my point... A friend took an original, untouched, running, actual found in a barn covered with straw lumber and pigeon, 1929 Chevrolet International Landau to auction. It originality and pitenna [sp] was too beautiful to restore. Yet it only brought about $8,000 because no buyer there had a nostalgic connection to the car.

When applying this logic to any 50+ year old vehicle including Studebaker, I would suggest that we are evolving to a new smaller, younger market that is based on appreciation of muscle and/or styling in it's own right. Thus in our own car cult a huge market disparity has emerged between a Lark or Sedan and a C/K with identical drive train, underpinnings and even some trim pieces.

Another indirect benefit we currently enjoy is ready availability of parts. Because Studebaker went out of business suddenly some saw opportunity and parts were hoarded. We recently did a major restore on a '62 Ford Galaxie 500 XL convertible and spent a year and a half locating parts... 6 months looking for a windshield. As the many unique parts on that vehicle sat on the shelf for say 25 years dealers had simply trashed them as junk.

In contrast, Studebaker's financial straits in its last decade forced them to use many common components across their full line. My Champ, Speedster and '63 Lark parts car all have essentially the same drive train and other components. As restorers and cultists we enjoy the benefit of Studebaker's misery. This factor alone tends to level the playing field between Studebaker and brand "X".

I dread the day when "Rice Burners" are nostalgia.

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
    Anytime your dealing in "Classics" you are trading primarily in nostalgia. Your market is to the car the buyer had as a kid, wished he had as a kid, his best friend had when he was a kid, his family had when he was a kid etc. For this reason I credit the recent (5 to 10 year) shakeout in classic car prices to be as much related to WWII baby boomers redirecting their financial priorities to retirement needs as I do to the economy of the last 6 years.

Personally, although I've minor restored to flip or auction a number of brand "X" vehicles, I was raised on Studebakers, a close family friend had a Studebaker dealership, I watched through the window in SB while the first Avanti's were assembled, my first 2 cars were Studebakers, and 3 of my college friends and my college flame were Studebakers (only remotely related) so I had a bit of a nostalgic connection.

I have always wanted a '53 through '55 C/K for a keeper as I believed the styling to be both timeless and Studebaker's finest design. The Avanti ran a close second for me, and the Hawks were kind of the 3rd mistress of the evening. I appreciated the re-engineering on a shoestring uniqueness of the Champ and the Lark but neither were high on my must have list. My Champ was built from crusher to driver was intended to be eduction for my Speedster build. However, the enjoyment, parade fun and pictures it has elicited has exceeded the financial and time investment exponentially so my appreciation for the Champ has evolved.

To my point... A friend took an original, untouched, running, actual found in a barn covered with straw lumber and pigeon, 1929 Chevrolet International Landau to auction. It originality and pitenna [sp] was too beautiful to restore. Yet it only brought about $8,000 because no buyer there had a nostalgic connection to the car.

When applying this logic to any 50+ year old vehicle including Studebaker, I would suggest that we are evolving to a new smaller, younger market that is based on appreciation of muscle and/or styling in it's own right. Thus in our own car cult a huge market disparity has emerged between a Lark or Sedan and a C/K with identical drive train, underpinnings and even some trim pieces.

Another indirect benefit we currently enjoy is ready availability of parts. Because Studebaker went out of business suddenly some saw opportunity and parts were hoarded. We recently did a major restore on a '62 Ford Galaxie 500 XL convertible and spent a year and a half locating parts... 6 months looking for a windshield. As the many unique parts on that vehicle sat on the shelf for say 25 years dealers had simply trashed them as junk.

In contrast, Studebaker's financial straits in its last decade forced them to use many common components across their full line. My Champ, Speedster and '63 Lark parts car all have essentially the same drive train and other components. As restorers and cultists we enjoy the benefit of Studebaker's misery. This factor alone tends to level the playing field between Studebaker and brand "X".

I believe you've hit many nails on the head here, and I especially share your "dread". Well said.
    Corley

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post

I can imagine someone in 1966 saying, "I dread the day when Studebakers are nostalgia", as they polished the brass on their 50 year old Ford.
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

You have a VERY good point here. Nostalgia is based primarily on good memories of something you were once familiar with. This is why a beautifully restored 57 Chevy brings big money in the USA, while a similarly lovely '57 Simca Vedette brings very little.

In the last TW chapter of Loren Pennington's conversation with Harold Churchill, he noted that Studebaker expected their share of the domestic market to be 2.5% annually. So, even if that target was met, less than 3 people in 100 had any hands-on ownership experience with a Studebaker product!

That could go along way toward explaining why our cars are chronically low-valued, while Big Three products command big prices.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Actually some models of Japanese cars are sought-after collectibles now. Like Datsun Z-cars, 510's, and early Mazda rotaries.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I've always been interested in a early 2002 BMW with recaro seats, sports package, big (Little) tires. Something like this, has a nostalgic/cult thing with me. My Lark does the same thing for me as well.

1964 GT Hawk
            PSMCDR 2014
            Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
            PSMCDR 2013
            Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I would disagree with a notion that compares today's market values with 50's or 60's market share. When was the last time you saw a Vega? What about a 54 Ford 4 door custom? What about a Hudson upside down bath tub? Have you seen them on the road or even at a car show recently?

C/K and Avanti styling was timeless and bring real money today for that one asset... style. The only MOPAR, GM or FOMOCO product that brings money based strictly on styling had a wing 4 feet above the trunk. The products that bring big money from either of the 3 do so because of the musle aspects of their units... a reputation that Studebaker never earned.

I have a personal affinity for the Lark and 50's Studebaker sedans but I'm sure there are those with a similar affinity to 1954 Chevrolets. I did find a running 1973 Oldsmobile 98 on Denver Craigslist with a new engine listed for $1500. On non-muscle cars I would argue that perceived value by the average Joe of 50 to 60 year old cars is no different between Studebaker and other manufacturers of the period.

The bottom line is that our "Plain Jane" family cars had character and still turn heads when their condition is at least equal to their condition when 3 to 5 years old.

Comment

One reason why so many Studebaker parts are left is that many dealerships were stuck with them and sold them to many of our parts vendors over the years...10 cents on the dollar (or whatever the price was) is better than trashing the parts. It's not like when AMC was purchased by Chrysler and the entire inventory of parts was destroyed as a tax write-off rather than selling them to the secondary market...earning Chrysler much enmity among AMC followers.

There has been a change in the values of many cars like '57 Chebbies...a generational change. Values are coming down...partly due to the economy and partly due to demographics. The crowd that loves the '57s is retired or passing away and the younger crown feels no special love for them except as resto-mods...and no one is going to pay mega-bucks for a trophy class '57 Bel Air just to tear it apart and modify it. They'll buy a driver or worse since they're going to modify the who car anyway.

The same thing may happen with Studebakers...fewer and fewer people today have even heard of one much less the desire to own one. More than once when at a car show someone will ask "Who made Studebaker?"
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                  You have a VERY good point here. Nostalgia is based primarily on good memories of something you were once familiar with. This is why a beautifully restored 57 Chevy brings big money in the USA, while a similarly lovely '57 Simca Vedette brings very little.

In the last TW chapter of Loren Pennington's conversation with Harold Churchill, he noted that Studebaker expected their share of the domestic market to be 2.5% annually. So, even if that target was met, less than 3 people in 100 had any hands-on ownership experience with a Studebaker product!

That could go along way toward explaining why our cars are chronically low-valued, while Big Three products command big prices.
                  Yes, I completely agree with this.......and have for years.

Comment

I'll step out on a limb and blame computers for the lack of young people gravitating toward Studebakers.
                    The young folks are bombarded with all sorts of visual, audio, smell, and taste clues.
                    There is no craftsmanship 'taught' any more.
                    No shop classes, no home economics classes, no cooking classes, no woodworking classes.
                    Everything is either online, or vo-tech (ie: $$$$-tech)
                    We have outsourced all of our manufacturing jobs, so the only thing young people can do is build hamburgers, and even that is part time only now.
                    A kid has to borrow a quarter million dollars to be taught what we used to learn in high school.
                    They come out (and into the workforce) with a HUGE debt load, and maybe they might get an entry level job for minimum wage...if they are lucky.

So... Hobbies like Studebaker's are way off the grid..
                    Inheritance is usually the most popular transfer of ownership these days.
                    And even then, most get disposed of for needed money to reduce debt burdens.

And the holders of these Studebaker's.. They (we) don't surrender them all that easily.
                    And we don't share all the years of knowledge stored up all that easily, either.
                    We tend to lord it over newcomers as some kind of badge.
                    This will drive a newcomer away quickly, as their short attention span will flip right over to Honey BooBoo in a heartbeat...
                    Mostly because Honey BooBoo (or whatever reality show du jour ,or zombie show, you want to think of)....is free entertainment.

It takes dedication, some skill, and hard work to obtain, maintain, and retain a classic car.
                    The universe of participants in this hobby is not large, and it does not seem to be growing.
                    We all need to be teachers, and preachers....
                    Just some thoughts....
                    Jeff
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                    X