53 Commander Tires/Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: 53 Commander Tires/Wheels

I just bought a set of radials for a Starliner using the Coker Tire website's recommendation for tire size. This website recommends a 215/75R15 in a radial tire for this model car. The standard tire size they recommend is 710 x 15 (bias ply). I know from other research that the stock oem tires on the car were 7.10 x 15 and this led me to trust the Coker site with their recommended size for a radial tire. I have since come across other information which shows me that the cross sectional width of the 215/75R15 is approximately 1" (1.06" to be exact) wider than the cross sectional width of the 7.10 x 15 standard bias tire. (Standard Tire = 7.40", Radial Tire = 8.46"). I also see where 205/75R15 tires are available which would cut this difference in width down to 0.67". The radial which would be a near perfect match would be a 190/75R15, but I don't think this tire was ever made or sold in this country. A 195/75R15 would only be 1/4 inch wider than the standard tire, but my belief is that most 195 width tires only come in the 65 range for tallness or overall diameter. I am not wanting to put an $800.00+ set of tires on this car at this stage of the game so I am sticking to what I can find at a local tire supplier with very reasonable prices. My question to all of you 53/54 Commander or Champion owners and drivers is this: Will this one inch difference in width cause me a problem and should I try to return the 215/75R15 tires in exchange for a set of 205/75R15 tires in order to gain a mere 0.39 inch extra clearance? The tires have not been installed yet and are still sitting unmounted in the back of my truck. Thanks.

The only time you will notice a problem (with the 215/75 tires) is on a very hard right turn, when, perhpas, the tire will rub on the air intake (4 inch tube) for the heater.

Handling, (steering at a standstill notwithstanding) won't be much different. Your driving experience will be improved in that Radials go straight, Bias ply tires tend to wander, or climb the ruts in the road. The downside is that radials need more pressure, 35 lbs, and thus ride harder.

Comment

I know some have successfully run 215 75s, but to me, they look too big and out of scale for the car...plus possible fitment issues front and rear AND really pushing the limits on the narrow Stude wheel width.

Since they haven't been mounted yet, have the shop mount one up. Check how much the tire is "pinched" on the rim due to the relatively narrow Stude rim. Then mount it on both the back and the front to check for clearance. Do the same with the 205 75. Decide which works best for you.
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks for your insight and sharing your vast '53 Commander experience, Tom B. 54 years worth of experience is quite impressive. Any downsides to running radials on this car will be negated by the difference in price between buying readily available and common radials and buying very pricey although correct bias ply tires.

Comment

At some point in time, I may be concerned about the looks of the tires on this car and shell out the big bucks for a set of wide whitewall bias tires for the car. There are so many issues concerning the overall appearance of the car that for now I'm just concerned with having a decent set of utility wheels and tires on the car for moving it around when needed. It probably won't actually be driven much for years to come as I have so many projects stacked up that getting this car into a shape where I'm not ashamed to be seen in it may be years down the road. I have seen where many people use a set of older Ford or Chrysler wheels when running radials on these old Studebakers. I may try to find a good set of 6" rims with the proper bolt pattern to mount these radials on. This would leave the stock Studebaker rims available for a set of nice looking tires in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by studebacher View Post
            I may try to find a good set of 6" rims with the proper bolt pattern to mount these radials on.
            Be sure you get the right backspacing (offset) also. A 6" rim is tight. Not enough backspacing in the rear and the tires will rub on the fender. Too much backspacing in the front and the wheel/tire will hit the tie rods.
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I understand there are concerns with specific wheel dimensions when changing over to Ford or Chrysler 6' rims. I know that it has been done and I hope that someone with actual experience with running Ford or Chrysler rims on a 53/54 Commander or Champion will read this thread and let me know which year and model Chrysler or Ford they used rims from which worked out for them.

Comment

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=false&cs=205 I put 225/75/15's on my Roadmaster....it's like driving on marshmallows'....I love them , wouldn't hesitate to put them on a Studebaker
                Bill Foy
                1000 Islands, Ontario
                1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Captain Billy, You showed me some options with your link that I was not aware of. Actually, the tires that I bought are from Discount Tire and they were $61.00 each for the 215/75R15. After further checking, I see where they have some 205/75R15 radials for $51.00 each. It may be worth my time to make the exchange if for nothing more than to save $40 (not to mention the little bit of clearance I would gain). Thanks for your help. I am still hoping someone will advise me as to what year and model of Ford or Chrysler has a wheel (6") that would work well on my car.

Comment

I'm running steel wheels from an 82 Mercury Marquis on my 53 Champion with 205/70R-15 tires. No issues with rubbing, etc. Should be the same as the Crown Vic of similar years. Hope this helps.
                    Dave Nevin
                    Corvallis, OR
                    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                    Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Chrysler 0057 Wheels

I have been running TWO sets of '76 to about '79 Chrysler Cordoba Wheels on my '64 Daytonas and my '63 GT Hawk for years with no issues.

These are plenty wide enough for either a P205X75R15 or a P215X70R15. I saw the door sticker on one Car I took them from at Pick your Part and it gave the tire pressure and size as P215X70R15.

What is a little different from the 5 on 4 1/2in. bolt pattern Ford wheels is that these are 5 1/2 inches, perfect to replace the little non-radial 4 1/2 or 5 inch Stude. wheels without rubbing issues.

They are compatible with Stock Stude. Bendix/Dunlap Disc. Brakes and the Turner upgrade kits as well.

There are Wheel Cover stop bumps on each side of the Valve Stems also there is; "0057" stamped in the Rim near the valve stem.
                      That was of concern for me because I like the stock wheel covers on my Cars.
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 09-22-2013, 12:58 PM.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for your input to all of the posters. This gives me a good idea of what direction to search in. I will probably stay with the 75 height range tires but it looks like the 205 width in a 75 would be more appropriate than the 215. The 75s will give me a shade more ground clearance than a 70. I am sure that Coker has sold more than a few sets of the 215/75s to '53 Commander/Champion owners and for them to continue to recommend this size radial for this model of car should mean there are not clearance issues with this size tire.

Comment

Originally posted by studebacher View Post
                          /Cut/I am sure that Coker has sold more than a few sets of the 215/75s to '53 Commander/Champion owners and for them to continue to recommend this size radial for this model of car should mean there are not clearance issues with this size tire.
                          I certainly would NOT count on them caring about 50 to 100 Studebakers!

That is IF that many actually followed their suggestion, most by far did not, and went with the SDC Members choice of P205X75R15 or P215X70R15 and they have no way of knowing what Car their tires go on.
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 09-22-2013, 01:14 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I get your point. I was just thinking if they had received complaints from recommending the wrong size tire, they would revise their size recommendation. I actually have no idea how much business they do with Studebaker owners.

Comment

1955 President Sedan.
                              Ford ranger wheels/rims [6" wide, 4" backspace]
                              From what I gathered, they were used on:
                              93-2009 Ranger
                              93-94, 96-2001 Explorer
                              97-2001 Mountaineer
                              I run 215/75/15 tires
                              The only interference I have had [at front] is when pulling off the road into a steep drive at an angle.
                              I can't use the fender skirts.
                              Be sure to use the Ford lugnuts, they are bigger. Stock Studebaker nuts may pull through the Ford wheel/rim.
                              Any of the wheel manufacturers will have information if you decide to get new.
                              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Working...
                              X