Hemmings Classic Cars edition 110 November 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemmings Classic Cars edition 110 November 2013

Studebaker friends check out this months edition of Hemmings Classic Cars magazine. SDC's national meet 2012 in South Bend Indiana is featured on pages 40-43. The feature is written by columnist Jim Donnelly. I can recognize at least 2 New Jersey SDC member's cars.

Indeed, and it seems like the NE Ohio Regiment has dominated the coverage with Ed Davies, Ted Hurd, and Bill Pressler. I suspect Donnelly was paid off. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

WQQT! I just got my issue but haven't thumbed through it yet. Thanks for the "heads up"!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I usually buy my copy of Hemmings at the magazine rack, but lately (ever since Bob Palma came on - coincidence?) they've really had my number for converting me to a full time subscriber. Maybe this will be the tipping point!
        '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Hemmings Classic Car has always been kind to the independent makers, Studebaker in particular. I noted that a number of Studes in the article are Canadian.
          Rog
          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Yes and one of those Cdn cars had made the cover back in the winter. That would be Bob Easton's '60 convertible....way to go Bob !
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              Indeed, and it seems like the NE Ohio Regiment has dominated the coverage with Ed Davies, Ted Hurd, and Bill Pressler. I suspect Donnelly was paid off. BP

It would seem that way, wouldn't it? But I can tell you that no money changed hands! LOL

Jim Donnelly approached Ted, Ed, and I as we were speaking (well, BS'ing!). He was a nice guy, seemed genuinely interested in the cars and trucks, and I might add, quoted me quite accurately in the article.

I was totally surprised to hear about the article and pleased to see it--other than my friend Ed's '64 Champ (which he bought from "Mack" Miskimen, an Akron, OH Stude dealer that Ed had worked for in his younger days; Mr. "Mack" as he was called had had it since new)--mistakenly labelled as a '59!
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              (formerly Greenville, PA)
              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
              All are in Australia now

Comment

I too can confirm the no money changed hands. Jim Donnelly was roaming the field in South Bend at the International meet, looking for stories. He was attracted to my car and I was there to talk with him. Making the cover was a surprising shock and the highlight of the summer of 2012 for me.
                Bob Easton
                Welland On
                64 Daytona & 60 Lark Convert
                Bob
                Welland Ontario
                60 Lark Convertible
                64 Daytona
                sigpic
                "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Like Bob Easton, I just happened to be at my car when Jim Donnelly came by for an Avanti story. It's nice to see the magazine exposure, after the screw-up that that happened with my judging sheet, rendering the judging exercise somewhat pointless. Nevertheless, we had a good time at the meet, enjoyed the 1200+ mile drive, even in the heat and around the Ohio detours. The Classic Car article presents a nice complimentary view of the Studebaker Drivers Club - great exposure!
                  Bill Patterson
                  Kingston ON
                  63 R2 Avanti

Comment

It would be interesting to see whether there is a bump in club membership following (this and other) media coverage...are we converting people, or are Studes being bought by people who have always wanted/liked Studebakers?
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                    X