PDA

View Full Version : Impulse Purchased a 1951 LC! Very Excited! Updated 10/13/13

61LaRk4dr
09-20-2013, 08:15 PM
Hello All,

I have been away for some time as many things have happened in the last week alone. Sadly enough, I said goodbye to my 1963 Galaxie 500 that I had since high school. I had bought it from the original owner and the vehicle had a very nice documented history including original owners manual and window sticker. I just was not able to afford the fuel bill for driving a car that had well over 300 hp. I said my goodbye to my beloved rig as she left my driveway....That was three days ago. I was going through withdrawals, now that I had an empty space in my garage and that is when I stumbled upon my dream car! I was scrolling through craigslist two nights ago and stumbled upon a 1951 Land Cruiser equipped with a 232 V-8 and an automatic transmission. The exterior looked about normal for a car stored 50+ years, but what caught my attention was the inside of the car. The interior looks spotless, add that to the fact that the car has around 14,000 miles that I assume are original.

The guy explained to me that the car was originally owned by a lady who had died several years back. The car was then bought by another guy who had intentions of restoring it. Eventually the car ended up with the man that I bought it from. He had the intentions of restoring it as well, but had other projects. When I saw it, I had to get a hold of it regardless. I have always wanted a bullet nose since I saw my first one at the age of five. The LC series has been very close to my heart ever since I worked on a 1948 LC when I was in high school. Life became to busy at the end of high school and I ended up selling my LC to a gentleman who was going to drive her up to Minnesota from Oregon and complete the restoration. Now flash forward a good 13 years and now I have what I have been looking for! I can't wait for the vehicle to show up. I will have to take some updated pictures when I get the car here. She will be hauled on trailer 600+ miles by a shipping company to the northern end of California. I will be looking forward to updating all of you when she gets here.

http://img150.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=646869368_1951_4_122_73lo.jpg
http://img146.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=646868635_1951_3_122_596lo.jpg
http://img170.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=964686793_1951_2_122_206lo.jpg
http://img268.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=646865558_1951_1_122_211lo.jpg

rockne10
09-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Appears to be a grand catch! These are truly a joy on the highway, and the suspension is as modern as Studebaker got.

ddub
09-20-2013, 10:54 PM
White walls, wheel covers and some Lark Shine and you are ready to go!

61LaRk4dr
09-21-2013, 12:00 AM
White walls, wheel covers and some Lark Shine and you are ready to go!

Apperently the wheel covers are in the trunk, and the whitewalls were on it, but time wasn't so nice to them. As a result he put some new tires on for the sake of keeping the car off the ground. I will have to save up and get the whitewalls though.

Andy R.
09-21-2013, 12:10 AM
You have very good impulses!

That car is an exact copy of my grandfather's first Studebaker - Maui Blue and all.
If my father saw this he'd probably offer you our 29K original GT...and wind his clock back 65 years.

With an interior like that, it doesn't even need to run to be thoroughly enjoyed. Hang a flat screen in the garage and go to the drive-in every night in hi-style!

SN-60
09-21-2013, 12:13 AM
Yes, that interior looks really nice....Great find!...Good luck with it!

Corvanti
09-21-2013, 12:16 AM
very nice! :!:

have fun with her.:)

Kurt
09-21-2013, 06:41 AM
That car if very similar to mine. Mine is a State Commander 4 dr Maui Blue V8 automatic. Mine has around 35000 original miles. They are great driving old cars. Have fun with your and good luck on the restoration.

StudeRich
09-21-2013, 12:27 PM
That looks like quite a score, it appears to be very solid and super nice interior.

I wonder how it came to have Blue Door Panels in back and Tan in Front? The window frame even looks Blue. A Door replacement? Or is the right side the same?

StudeMann
09-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Looks like a great car! I have owned 5 Studebakers and my current 51 LC is my favorite so far.

rockne10
09-21-2013, 06:04 PM
Anytime an old car is new to you, please check out all the mechanical systems. Start with the brakes.

Commander Eddie
09-21-2013, 10:08 PM
61LaRk4dr --
Welcome to the Bullet Nose Club! :!!:
I too am in Oregon so maybe we will run into each other some time.
As you can see from my signature avatar, I am a member of the club as well. Love my Commander!

61LaRk4dr
10-14-2013, 12:22 AM
Hello All,

I have been away for some time as many things have happened in the last week alone. Sadly enough, I said goodbye to my 1963 Galaxie 500 that I had since high school. I had bought it from the original owner and the vehicle had a very nice documented history including original owners manual and window sticker. I just was not able to afford the fuel bill for driving a car that had well over 300 hp. I said my goodbye to my beloved rig as she left my driveway....That was three days ago. I was going through withdrawals, now that I had an empty space in my garage and that is when I stumbled upon my dream car! I was scrolling through craigslist two nights ago and stumbled upon a 1951 Land Cruiser equipped with a 232 V-8 and an automatic transmission. The exterior looked about normal for a car stored 50+ years, but what caught my attention was the inside of the car. The interior looks spotless, add that to the fact that the car has around 14,000 miles that I assume are original.

The guy explained to me that the car was originally owned by a lady who had died several years back. The car was then bought by another guy who had intentions of restoring it. Eventually the car ended up with the man that I bought it from. He had the intentions of restoring it as well, but had other projects. When I saw it, I had to get a hold of it regardless. I have always wanted a bullet nose since I saw my first one at the age of five. The LC series has been very close to my heart ever since I worked on a 1948 LC when I was in high school. Life became to busy at the end of high school and I ended up selling my LC to a gentleman who was going to drive her up to Minnesota from Oregon and complete the restoration. Now flash forward a good 13 years and now I have what I have been looking for! I can't wait for the vehicle to show up. I will have to take some updated pictures when I get the car here. She will be hauled on trailer 600+ miles by a shipping company to the northern end of California. I will be looking forward to updating all of you when she gets here.

http://img150.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=646869368_1951_4_122_73lo.jpg
http://img146.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=646868635_1951_3_122_596lo.jpg
http://img170.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=964686793_1951_2_122_206lo.jpg
http://img268.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=646865558_1951_1_122_211lo.jpg

10/13/13

Hello All,

My Land Cruiser finally arrived! The shipping was a bit dramatic, but I won't bore you with the details. The vehicle arrived late last night 10/12/13, and was rolled into my garage without incident. I was able to take some pictures of the vehicle this morning. The interior is pretty straight, and the odometer reads 11,800 original??? miles. I have a crack in the drivers door window, but the rest of the glass is solid. I porceeded to remove most of the chrome moldings to see if there was any sings of rust in the usual areas and delighted to find none. From what I can tell, this is a solid rust free rig. I am starting work on the brakes and have also taken the water pump off as it seems that it was seized and will be replacing it with a new one that was provided. I was able to turn the engine over manually and it seems to move freely, there is oil (dirty) in the crankcase. Once I get both of these projects sorted out, I plan to see if the radiator has any leaks and also what the story is with the gas tank. I will also need to replace the rear transmission seal at the driveshaft as it appears that there is a little leak. I will no doubt have my work cut out for me, but I do plan on keeping this car for a long time so I am not concern with getting my money back out of it as some collectors these days seem to see as a major point for restoring a vehicle. I have way too many pictures to post here, but I do have a link to the album here:

http://s642.photobucket.com/user/icncu222/slideshow/1951%20Studebaker%20Land%20Cruiser

Orestudeguy
10-14-2013, 04:02 AM
Hi, Nice looking car. You are off to a great start! Congradts!

EssexExport
10-14-2013, 06:17 AM
Can't get over the interior. Good luck with the bullet nose.

jclary
10-14-2013, 07:40 AM
Congratulations! Great looking car!:!: I have owned one the same color for over twenty-five years. I am convinced that there is a whole segment of our society that will walk right by these wonderful four door cars (while yawning) and never even glance at them. Too bad...they'll never know what they are missing. Once you get the car roadworthy, there is one experience you'll have to try. Besides the joy of driving it yourself...find someone you trust, and have them to drive it while you ride in the back. Do that while imagining you are back in 1951. Better yet, if you can find any other average 1951 car (even a Champion), take a ride on the same route for comparison. You'll be amazed!:ohmy::)

Most of us Land Cruiser owners would kill for an original steering wheel like that one. Your upholstery condition is amazing. The stains on the door panels looks to be due to the adhesive used back in the day. I believe it would react with atmospheric humidity and eventually bleed through, even in the most arid climate.

Also, it would be interesting to see the production order for this car. I wonder where its original destination was. Most Land Cruisers (being "Top of the line" cars) were equipped with just about everything. However, yours looks like it never had a heater. You see a couple of heater hoses, but they appear to go directly to the "under-seat" heater core, instead of the factory control valve that should have been installed at the firewall. Also, where the defroster heater core, and blower, with all its duct work, looks to have never been in place. Interior dash pics indicate no heater controls. Therefore, I am guessing that someone started to install a heater without all the components. Pictures of the under side and ducting would be interesting.

Another indication that this car was shipped to a very warm climate, is the condition of the water pump impeller. That much rust tells me that very little anti-freeze (which usually has some rust inhibitor) was used in the engine. It also should be a red flag that a thorough flushing and cleaning of the cooling system is in order. The "alarm" here is that the core (freeze) plugs might be as deteriorated as the water pump.:(

The only other caution is to take a hard look at the original wiring. Even in great (appearance) condition, at this age, that era insulation is just not trustworthy. Otherwise, no matter what mechanical challenges you face...you can work with confidence that you are miles ahead of most of us in finding an example of this quality.:):!::)

sochocki
10-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Awesome car! Why can't I find such a nice original like this? I'd be tempted to work on all the mechanicals as needed, and just wash and wax the car and see what it looks like. Keep it as a beautiful "survivor." Too "nice" for a total restoration?? Have fun with it!