Looking for a oil bath air cleaner setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a oil bath air cleaner setup

I need an air cleaner for 1955 259 President. If you have one and are willing to part with it I would appreciate your help. My car came with what appears to be a 62 hawk air cleaner if anyone is interested.

Well, me too. The 4 bbl oil bath I purchased and received wasn't quite all there, so I'll need a better one if I ever want to race again. Paul (55s) apparently had two of 'em. If he'll part with the other one we can each buy one. I'm gonna run with a dry filter next summer. If your 62 is for a 4 bbl and in decent shape, I'd be interested.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

sounds good. I will post a picture of the air cleaner I have. It was on my 4 bbl carb when I got the car.
      Last edited by rrtaylor; 09-20-2013, 12:16 PM.

Comment

PM 55s. If he'll part with both, I'll ship for him and you can ship me yours.

Comment

Dave what parts were missing?
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Posted to eday
            Last edited by rrtaylor; 09-24-2013, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Bob, the top was fine. Those bowls on the bottom were from a different car. When combined there is NO room for air to get in, even without oil. Totally restricted and it puzzled my installer for sure. I left it loose and lifted the top 1/2 inch off the carb to get air for the races. The rules allowed that.

Comment

rrtaylor, that will work. No need to shoot the top black. Cheers. PM sent.

Comment

As I'm sure You guys already know, all '55-'57 four barrel oil bath air cleaners will work on the Speedster. Must be for a C/K model....and although it's SLIGHTLY different, an air cleaner from a '56 Golden Hawk with the Packard engine will also definitely fit the 259 in the Speedster. If You get REALLY desperate, a four barrel oil bath air cleaner from a '55-'57 Studebaker SEDAN can be made to fit...with work. The tube connecting the plenum chamber with the carb 'cap' needs to be lengthened. and approx 1/2" needs to be trimmed off the cap-to-carb adapter. At that point.. 'presto'.. You have a C/K air cleaner! These sedan air cleaners seem to be a bit more numerous than the C/K type.

Comment

Recycler in L.A. advertised '55 Studebaker air cleaner, 2 parts $20 Call 818-203-2984

Comment

I think you have identified the problem, SN60. Probably trying to fit a sedan air cleaner to a C/K. It sounded nice with a 1/2 inch lift

Comment

Working...
                      X