Field Trip-Allen Barth's Shop-Harrington, WA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field Trip-Allen Barth's Shop-Harrington, WA

Yesterday, Brian Curtis (TW Custom and Modified Editor) and I visited Allen Barth (oltruknut on this forum) at his shop in Eastern Washington State.

Brian needed to pick up some chrome plating for a customer's 55 Stude he is working on, and I needed to drop off the seats for the Wagonaire to Allen to have them reupholstered.

It's about 6 hours to Harrington, WA and Brian picked me up at oh dark thirty.

We arrived at Allen's right around noon. Allen already had the hamburgers on the grill for us. Right after lunch, he gave us a tour of his place. Harrington is chuck full of historic buildings, and Allen's facility is no exception.

Allen generally has a dozen projects in progress at any point in time. From nut and bolt restorations, to super creative customs. Here's an overview of happenings in Harrington. He also has a shop between Harrington and Davenport.

Command central...

Some of the projects (some are customer's cars, some are Allen's)

Allen's '22. Everyone wants a ride in this one.

Nice Pack. This car hadn't run in 50 years before Allen obtained it. He started it for us...

Rare Stude. The side windows are HUGE...

We then made it out to his other facility. I really liked the flock here photographed against the wheat stubble and sky...

This 30 Pack is getting a 5.3 and 4L60E along with a custom 9" Ford and suspension. The wheels are made to order 17" wires with 1 off 245/17 wide whites. The car will look EXACTLY like a stocker and perform like a new car. Drive ANYWHERE.

Allen does it all. Mechanical, body and paint, upholstery. Check him out if you need any of this, and visit him in Harrington if you are somewhere in the same time zone.

We had a GREAT time at Allen's. He is a gracious host. Well worth the 12 hours round trip for us!

More pictures here.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

X2 - any NW Stude owner who wants the best should get in line at Allen's. There's none better.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Did I just get a peek at what awaits us past the pearly gates?
      Lou Van Anne
      62 Champ
      64 R2 GT Hawk
      79 Avanti II

Comment

Nice show, Dick... thanks for sharing!
        sigpic
        Dave Lester

Comment

Thanks for sharing Dick Colour me jealous, you had a much better day than I did!
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

Thanks for sharing. That is my kind of shop, a working shop. Outside of needing a few more oil stains on the carpet in the office, it is absolutely perfect !!!!

Comment

That's livin the dream right there. What fun.

Comment

What a great Stude adventure. Does Allen have a crew that works with him? That's a lot of projects for just one guy. Thanks for sharing.
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                  What a great Stude adventure. Does Allen have a crew that works with him? That's a lot of projects for just one guy. Thanks for sharing.
                  Allen is personally and deeply involved in every project. He's a hands on guy. He does have help, however. For example, Allen showed me a recent copy of Rod and Custom. The interior of the featured car was done in his shop by his son (and employee) Jimmy. Beautiful work!
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

I live in the NW and was unaware of Allen and his shop. Wow! I gotta get up there to see this!
                    Ed Sallia
                    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Thanks for posting this, Dick. This goes on my "gotta do it" list.
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I'm sure a business like that has its own special kind of problems, but I think I could look forward to going to work if I was working there.
                        "In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I need to plan a trip to Eastern Wa. to visit one of my ants and then to Idaho to visit her twin both just turned 90 last month so it is must do and Allen would be on the way.
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

Thanks for the "tour" Dick! I have been thru Harrington, and it is a cool little town. I need to get up there and see his shop.....

Comment

I've touted Allen's work for awhile now...especially since he restored my Avanti. He did a great job...I asked for a very nice driver and I got a good deal more... I've been told (by a frequent poster here that knows a lot about Studes) that my car was as nice as any he saw at this years International. Besides, he's a great guy...honest and hard working...though I'm sure he'd probably not want that to get out and spoil his reputation.
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X