Getting a new engine for my Studelac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a new engine for my Studelac

I don't have a 'Frick' but I am building a Studelac.
    Today I finalized the deal on a 'built' '70 Eldorado engine and a 700R4 transmission.

That 2X4 intake is from a 460 CI Ford with adapter plates port matched to the Caddy heads.
    I'm getting the engine and tranny (a 700R4, also built) and all I have to do is provide a few hours labor (about 50) on the '35 Caddy 3 window coupe that the engine and tranny are presently in, and a '36 Packard 3 window coupe.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to put in a full cage, from the rear X-member to the front frame horns. This thing is going to be a BEAST.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

MAJOR DROOL!!!!

Comment

That one of Nestlehutt's cars?

Very, very cool. You may not have a Frick, but it's okay to have a Frack.

Comment

I am officially green with envy.
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Envious does not begin to cover my feelings about this setup. I can't imagine the low end torque on this thing.

Just curious what the previous owner is planning for a new power plant in the Cadillac.

Keep posting and well done!!!!

Bob

Comment

Yes, he has a few cars, all StreetRods, all high dollar. Highest dollar car is the one he calls Big Bertha, a 1930 V16 Caddy at about $350,000 or more. He also has a '37 Caddy more door, a '36 Caddy 3 window coupe, a '31 Caddy Vicky, and the ones I mentioned in the OP as well as a few others.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
              Envious does not begin to cover my feelings about this setup. I can't imagine the low end torque on this thing.

Just curious what the previous owner is planning for a new power plant in the Cadillac.

Keep posting and well done!!!!

Bob
              Low end torque is OFF the scale!!!
              He has a new LS engine with a 4L60 ready to go in. I'm not sure which LS it is, whatever came in the Vette's and Escalades.
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

I'll get some Pix of his cars and post them soon. Probably needs to go in StoveHuggers excepting the Packard.
                Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

What car is this going into? I can't imagine the power this will make. I absolutely love Cadillac's and their engines, my brother has a black 70 sedan DeVille. Great engines, sound sweet too. If you lived closer I have an art morrison roll cage that came with my car, I have no use for it as my car won't make copious amounts of power, and plan to sell it

Comment

Nice! What's the C.I.?......500?

Comment

I'm afraid I'm going to have to put in a full cage, from the rear X-member to the front frame horns.
                      Congrats! That's the other big, tall, long block. Like the Packard V8, the late Cad also has 5.0" bore spacing and this is where you'll want to look at how things fit on '56Js. It's going to be difficult to keep the 2x4 intake under the hood.

While you're in there, the area needing the most reinforcement is the front crossmember and upper A-arm mounts. Do the factory recommended doubling plate behind the A-arm mounting holes and weld all the junctions where the frame rails and crossmember meet.

With that much torque, the rear springs will need some help. Building your own Cal-Trac bars aren't that difficult, as one of our own demonstrated.

The heavy duty front and rear anti-roll bars Dave Thibault sells would also be on my punch list.

Switch to later kingpins, as the speeds of which your build will be capable will need all the positive caster you can find.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

How much do these Caddy engines weigh? You will need a heck of a stout driveshaft and rear end to run that much torque!
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Wow, that will leave marks, on the road that is. Very cool. Caddy 472-500 motors are listed at 625 lbs, just a bit lighter than a Stude 289. The aluminum manifold will take away some of that, but the second 4 barrel will add some of it back. In any case, it is not adding weight vs a Stude V8. Looking forward to following this build!
                          Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA
                          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                            This thing is going to be a BEAST.
                            Oh yea!
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
                              What car is this going into? I can't imagine the power this will make. I absolutely love Cadillac's and their engines, my brother has a black 70 sedan DeVille. Great engines, sound sweet too.
                              The 1970 sedan DeVille came with a 472 ci/375 HP engine. The 1970 Eldorado came with a 500 ci/400 HP engine.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X