Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Availability of Headrests for 1966 Bucket Seats

Hi All,

I have just purchased the ex Bill Pressler 1966 Daytona and was wondering whether the optional headrests offered that year are available from any supplier or maybe the blueprints so a copy can be made?

Not sure until I drive it (27th) but thought they may be good?
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Watching for an answer. I'd like them on my '64 Daytona...
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I seen a single headrest on a '64 at Reedsville either last year or the year before. It looked weird because it was only on the passenger side and not the drivers side. Talked to the owner and it was ordered that way. Also John , if you send me your email address I'll gladly forward you a copy of the updated 66 Daytona Registry.
      Last edited by 2R5; 09-17-2013, 05:13 AM.
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Bucket seat head rests were a dealer fitted option only, not factory fitted like those in split bench or reclining seats. So they are slightly different and very rare.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
          Bucket seat head rests were a dealer fitted option only, not factory fitted like those in split bench or reclining seats. So they are slightly different and very rare.

Chris.
          When we built our 1966 rally car my recollection is that the bucket seats installed in the factory were equipped with head rests. I checked the build order but head rests were not noted. It is likely that our factory installed them on my request. Re 2R5 comment, head rests were ordered on the passenger side only on a number of occasions. I agree that they looked strange.

Stu Chapman

Comment

My 1960 Lark convertible has a headrest on the passenger side only. It appears on the production order.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments, email address sent.
              John Clements

Comment

My 64 GT has both head rest but keep in mind there is more to the head rest system than just the head rest, there is a socket it goes in to so you would need every thing to do it right, good luck John.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

I am pretty sure that in the '60's people were not all that concerned about safety, the Head rest was for resting and sleeping, not something you want to do while driving!

And yes many were ordered for the passenger's resting comfort, no real need for one on the drivers side so buyers saw no need to waste money on two just so they would match.

It is a different World today, the younger people with jobs and money think a lot differently they just pay big bucks for a totally loaded Car, then in a few years sell it for almost nothing because it is obsolete or just throw it away.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sounds to me like it may be more hassle than it's worth, so car will be fine as is, after all my bench seat 1962 doesn't have any.

Many thanks to all for an interesting discussion.

If anyone should happen to locate a set please let me know, would be nice to have.
                    John Clements

Comment

I sold a '64 Cruiser that had factory split recliners w/headrests. I would assume that they were the same through '66 except for the vinyl cover. I did see a non-original '66 some years ago that had headrests that were wider than Stude headrests. The owner said they were original which I questioned. I saw similar ones on an AMC in the boneyard. I have the factory template that indicates how to install the headrest brackets in the seat backs. If they are installed in bucket seats the spring near the ashtray needs to be cut due to interference.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        I am pretty sure that in the '60's people were not all that concerned about safety, the Head rest was for resting and sleeping, not something you want to do while driving!

And yes many were ordered for the passenger's resting comfort, no real need for one on the drivers side so buyers saw no need to waste money on two just so they would match.

It is a different World today, the younger people with jobs and money think a lot differently they just pay big bucks for a totally loaded Car, then in a few years sell it for almost nothing because it is obsolete or just throw it away.
                        I ordered my '64 Wagonaire with a head rest for the right side, but no left for the reason StudeRich cites above.
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Well, things are getting better. Now all I require are the items should they turn up one day, maybe a car to be parted out???

I sent Robin (Stude1964) a PM re: the template.
                          John Clements

Comment

Working...
                          X