My R1 at The Hagley Car Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My R1 at The Hagley Car Show

This last Sunday (9/15) was the annual car show at The Hagley Museum in Wlimington DE. For those not aware of this incredible museum it is the site of the DuPont Company's powder works started in 1802 By E.I. DuPont and is also the (North American) ancestral home of the DuPont family (http://www.hagley.org). For the last 15 this show has been a major attraction of every type of vehicle made from the various early days until now. Antiques, street rods, motorcycles, steam cars, you name it shows up. The limit is about 650 cars and they filled it up this year with a waiting list. The site is fabulous as the grounds include a huge meadow and surrounding old growth trees. No judging, just a fun day and the attendance is always huge. Every year there is a theme to the show and this year it was American Muscle. A select few cars are chosen to represent the theme and they are located in a separate area near the entry road. During the summer a friend of mine and coordinator of the show called and said they were overwhelmed with the big 3 muscle cars but so far only had an AMX and AMC Rogue for independents. He knew I had my '64 R1 Hawk (the R2 is in storage in Indiana) and said why don't you send in an entry for the theme? So I did and was selected.

I arrived early and got my position, and a short while later Bob Wilson of New Castle DE showed up with his '64 White R2 Daytona convertible and his spot was right next to mine! What a nice pair. The interest in the Hawk was overwhelming. There was a crowd almost all the time. I had put together a poster of the Hawk history with pics and info of Brooks Stevens and the end with the GT Hawks. I also had the a framed Hawk poster that Curt Sochoki made a couple of years ago. Comments included; that the car was a work of art, just stunning, never knew they were this advanced....... It was very encouraging for the mark to say the least. Several guys said that when they were kids they wanted to buy a Hawk or have their Dad buy one, but it did not happen. I can tell you that compared to the many Big 3 muscle cars in our area, the Studes and a Twin H Hudson Hornet down a couple of spots were crowd favorites.

What a great day it was!

Here is picture just after we pulled in.

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Beautiful!
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Comment

Very classy....Looks just right!

Comment

Looks great Dan. I don't really like GT Hawks, but I love '64's in Strato Blue. What a good looking car!

Comment

Thanks for the compliments! i forgot to mention that in the big field there were 3 more Studes: 4Xs Champion, '62 hopped up Lark, and a nice R1+ (lot of engine work) Avanti. Nice spread of Studes for the day.
          Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          58 C Cab
          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

The car looks nice Dan...
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
            X