PDA

View Full Version : Know anything about this '55 Cp?

Jerry Forrester
09-16-2013, 06:51 PM
New Stude in town.
A friend came by the shop today with his newest ride.
He traded for it in Pigeon Forge, Tn. a week or so ago.
It's a very nice Rod, but of course there's a few things I would have done differently.
It has an all Chevy running gear.
It's as clean and neat underneath as it is on the top side.
The story is; The Stude was built in north Georgia, then went to Missouri, then to South Carolina, now back to Georgia. All that is hear-say (except the last part).
Any of youse guys know any history of this Rod?
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd123/jerrystudebaker/misc/LStichers55b_zps84446729.jpg (http://s221.photobucket.com/user/jerrystudebaker/media/misc/LStichers55b_zps84446729.jpg.html)

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd123/jerrystudebaker/misc/LStichers55a_zps3736348b.jpg (http://s221.photobucket.com/user/jerrystudebaker/media/misc/LStichers55a_zps3736348b.jpg.html)

SN-60
09-16-2013, 07:24 PM
Would one of the items that You 'would have done differently' be below the headlights and above the front bumper??

Corvanti
09-16-2013, 07:34 PM
nice:!:

at first glance i would have probably switched the paint to vice-versa...

Jerry Forrester
09-16-2013, 07:56 PM
Would one of the items that You 'would have done differently' be below the headlights and above the front bumper??
Yeppers....GGG

jclary
09-16-2013, 08:24 PM
I don't recall seeing it. At least not with that paint scheme. Since I didn't have to spend the money or do the work...I'll give it a thumbs up:!: and admire it without critical comment.;)

It is welcome to park on my grass anytime.:)

mmagic
09-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Like the color scheme.... Looks similar to Pimlico Gray and a very complementary shade. I've not been fond of painted chrome pieces on a Stude... but in this case I give it a thumbs up.

Beautiful car.

mbstude
09-16-2013, 08:38 PM
I know I have seen pictures of that car before, but that doesn't help you Jerry.

How's Leo?

jimmijim8
09-17-2013, 07:19 AM
Very nice looking 55 coupe. Suits me. jimmijim

rodnutrandy
09-17-2013, 07:36 AM
I like it ! Would like it better if it was in my garage !!

09-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Like the color scheme.... Looks similar to Pimlico Gray and a very complementary shade. I've not been fond of painted chrome pieces on a Stude... but in this case I give it a thumbs up.

Beautiful car.
This '55 was at the Atlantic Zone Meet- painted chrome except the center bar.

jclary
09-17-2013, 10:26 AM
This '55 was at the Atlantic Zone Meet- painted chrome except the center bar.

I really like the looks of that one. I wonder how the acceptance and profitability of the 55 design would have been if Studebaker had produced the car with that smooth nose in a light sheet metal stamping rather than the "front heavy" looking chrome nose? Although I was 10 years old at the time...my impression was a bit of a "let-down" from the sleek earlier models. To a youngster...the Bullet nose cars had ignited imaginations. The muted '52 elicited the same let-down emotion, only to be re-ignited by the '53/54s.

Like the old saying goes..."beauty is in the eyes of the beholder"...but nothing confirms the results better than the market place.

studegary
09-17-2013, 01:32 PM
I really like the looks of that one. I wonder how the acceptance and profitability of the 55 design would have been if Studebaker had produced the car with that smooth nose in a light sheet metal stamping rather than the "front heavy" looking chrome nose? Although I was 10 years old at the time...my impression was a bit of a "let-down" from the sleek earlier models. To a youngster...the Bullet nose cars had ignited imaginations. The muted '52 elicited the same let-down emotion, only to be re-ignited by the '53/54s.

Like the old saying goes..."beauty is in the eyes of the beholder"...but nothing confirms the results better than the market place.

Bob Bourke wanted a painted front end (different design) on the 1955s. He was forced to go with the chrome face to make it look like a Buick that competed in the same price range.

warrlaw1
09-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Every time someone not familiar with Studes sees my 55K they are a bit unsure. They always recognize a 53/54 and a Hawk, but what the heck is this thing? I tell them the 53/54 was the iconic design and in 55 they chromed it up. Some say they ruined it. The gawkers always give me a sympathetic "Naw. It looks just fine that way". :)