Report & Photos: 2013 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report & Photos: 2013 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags

Ted Harbit posted a brief summary of the 2013 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race in another thread.

'Thought I'd post a report link here lest anyone not realize more information and a few photos were available. 'Here 'tis:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Thanks for that report, Bob. What a hoot that was!
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Congratulations to all, and especially to Dave Warren. You have thrown down the gauntlet to all the other mid 50s cars. Will we see a Golden Hawk out there some day? Would love to see some sleek Loewy/Bourke cars line up against the shoe box brand Xs of that era.
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

A big thanks to Ted, George and Bob for getting this rolling for Studebaker several years ago and for their continued investment in time and money. Those three guys put high performance Studebakers "on the map".

And, way to go Dave! Hopefully your actions encourage other Stude owners to do something with their cars other than sit behind them in lawn chairs at car shows (not that there is anything wrong with that )
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks for the report and photos. A black K body is a thing of beauty!
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
            Congratulations to all, and especially to Dave Warren. You have thrown down the gauntlet to all the other mid 50s cars. Will we see a Golden Hawk out there some day? Would love to see some sleek Loewy/Bourke cars line up against the shoe box brand Xs of that era.
            Thanks, Pat. The event is limited to 1955-1974 American-made cars "with a high-performance image," which, of course, is open to interpretation. Nonetheless, we'd like to see any Golden Hawk appear as they would be welcome. So would a 1955 Speedster, of course, but 1953/1954 Lowey/Bourke cars are ineligible.

Before this year, model years 1955, 1959, and 1960 had never been represented by any make! That's right, all the tri-power 348s and the few fuelie 1959 full-size Chevys have never come out to play, not to mention 360 HP Ford Starliners and such. That is such a shame but, of course, they are "too valuable" (it says here....). BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
              A big thanks to Ted, George and Bob for getting this rolling for Studebaker several years ago and for their continued investment in time and money. Those three guys put high performance Studebakers "on the map".

And, way to go Dave! Hopefully your actions encourage other Stude owners to do something with their cars other than sit behind them in lawn chairs at car shows (not that there is anything wrong with that )
              Thanks, Dick. For the record, this was the 19th consecutive running of the event. We first attended in 1998, one of two Studebakers that year; Barry Holley's 1964 R2 Daytona Hardtop being the other.

There have been three or more Studebakers every year since, with an average of, I'd say, five per year. Hence, Studebaker has been represented continuously in the last 16 of the event's 19 years; not bad! BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                There have been three or more Studebakers every year since, with an average of, I'd say, five per year.

Now that makes me want to hurry and get mine done!!

Craig

Comment

Bob P. and Mr. Harbit, read your reports and seen the pics. Thanks for doing what so many of us wish we were doing ! Are their any wagons out there alive with R series engines (and especially 4-speed ones ) ? Remember the Plymouth and Tempest wagons from the 60's in NHRA that won so often ? Just thinkin', ha ! John

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
                    Bob P. and Mr. Harbit, read your reports and seen the pics. Thanks for doing what so many of us wish we were doing ! Are their any wagons out there alive with R series engines (and especially 4-speed ones)? Remember the Plymouth and Tempest wagons from the 60's in NHRA that won so often? Just thinkin', ha! John
                    Yes, John; several R-engine wagons survive, even 4-speeders. Ity would be touchy bringing one of them to the event; it is supposedly limited to two-door cars and convertibles, etc; "no 4-doors allowed."

However, one of our members brought and entered a factory R2 1963 Cruiser many years ago, and it was accepted. So I'd say anything is possible. BP

Comment

Bob, it 's just my opinion of course, but I consider all theC/K cars to be included in Loewy/Bourke genre since they are based on the same platform. Would be cool to see the Power Pack Chevys run against the Studes.
                      Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA
                      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Yes, John; several R-engine wagons survive, even 4-speeders. Ity would be touchy bringing one of them to the event; it is supposedly limited to two-door cars and convertibles, etc; "no 4-doors allowed."

However, one of our members brought and entered a factory R2 1963 Cruiser many years ago, and it was accepted. So I'd say anything is possible. BP
                        I would rate a 1964-only Oldsmobile Cutlass 4 door sedan with the 442 package as eligible.

Craig

Comment

I just attended the PSMCD's and was wondering the same thing .....but more particularly in regards to that red '63 Plymouth.
                          I well recall that the 426 wedge Plymouth wagons of the early '60s were no slouch on the strip or street.
                          If a 1958 Mercury, a '57 Ford, or a '55 Studebaker President qualifies to compete as being a 'Muscle Car' why not a high performance Plymouth (or Studebaker) wagon?
                          Last edited by Jessie J.; 09-16-2013, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Jessie; it is not a question of year, make, or model; it is one of only body style as to being qualified, at least in this discussion. Like I said, the issue has come up so rarely it really is handled as a "per entry" item. BP

Comment

'Body Style' defines what constitutes a 'Muscle Car' ??? .... so a 195 hp Chevelle (or a 185 hp Stude President) qualifies and can enter .....but arbitrarily, a truly muscular 415 hp 426 Mopar wagon that actually ran weekly on the nations drag strips within the 1964-74 time fame is excluded.
                              Their game, their rules. ....but not really reflective of historical realities .
                              Last edited by Jessie J.; 09-16-2013, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X