Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HFI Installed In Hawk #2; Up & Running Great !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HFI Installed In Hawk #2; Up & Running Great !

I received the HFI kit Friday, and spent about 10 hours total, yesterday & today, installing it in the 63GT. Drove the car around 60 miles today for test drive. It starts easily (hot or cold), runs smoother, and pulls harder then the Edlebrock carb & Pertronix-Delco I swapped it out with.

For MPG, I am guessing it will get at least as good as before, but probably better. Will let y'all know in a few days.

IMHO, if Stude had stayed in business, they'd probably have had EFI as another of their many industry firsts in the early 1980s, and beat GM by a good five years to the punch

Congrats, Joe!
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

This really is interesting. What would a EFI setup like that cost Joe? (In truth, carbs can be tiresome sometimes!)

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
        This really is interesting. What would a EFI setup like that cost Joe? (In truth, carbs can be tiresome sometimes!)
        I got a 10 percent discount, due to this being the 2nd ($1399) kit I've bought from Bill Hamilton. So, the total price including shipping, and fuel line (the only thing needed in addition to the kit) was around $1400.

A Dave T-bow distributor and an AFB clone (Edlebrock) would have cost about half of that, and would still have the same vapor lock related problems inherent with a carb, which the HFI gets rid of.

The car is now transformed into a use-able vehicle, ready for any clime, anyplace. And you don't need to be mechanic savvy to operate it. Just turn the key and go. Just ask my wife

Comment

Pictures, please!

Comment

I would absolutely love to drive Your Stude GT to feel the difference first hand. Technically, You made a big change here!

Comment

As of about a week ago, Bill is a member of our Forum.
              I met him (and his son Joe) on Saturday. They met my IDYSD group not far from his home. We oggled his Internationals while he told us about what we were looking at. There's a picture in one of the IDYSD posts I made this morning...
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                As of about a week ago, Bill is a member of our Forum.
                I met him (and his son Joe) on Saturday. They met my IDYSD group not far from his home. We oggled his Internationals while he told us about what we were looking at. There's a picture in one of the IDYSD posts I made this morning...
                ???????????????????????????

Comment

???????????????????????????
                  I know, right!?!?!?
                  Bill is not only 'local' to me- he is also retired NAVY!!!
                  Cool points galore.
                  He mentioned having an 'interest' in Studes, so time will tell where that leads...

StudeDave '57
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

[SIZE=3] I know, right!?!?!?
                    Bill is not only 'local' to me- he is also retired NAVY!!!
                    Cool points galore.
                    He mentioned having an 'interest' in Studes, so time will tell where that leads... [/SIZ

StudeDave '57
                    Dave, I think that Your post is in the wrong thread.

Comment

Dave, I think that Your post is in the wrong thread.
                      I don't. Bill Hamilton is the guy that Joe got the HFI kit from.
                      He lives up here, and I met him on Saturday.

StudeDave '57
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

I don't. Bill Hamilton is the guy that Joe got the HFI kit from.
                        He lives up here, and I met him on Saturday.

StudeDave '57
                        OK Dave, I missed 'Bill Hamilton' In Joe's second post.....Sorry about that! SN-60

Comment

Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post
                          Pictures, please!
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01470.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	1683763 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01478 (1).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	1683764 Click image for larger version

Name:	HFI 5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1683765 Click image for larger version

Name:	HFI-4_bottom.jpg
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1683766 Click image for larger version

Name:	HFI3.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1683767

I did not take any pix of this install, but here are some from the first. I am a no muss-no fuss kinda guy, and simply laid the 12-15 wires anywhere they'd reach without touching something they should not, i.e. exhaust or fan. It wound up looking kinda hokey. But Joe Rink installed EFI in his Avanti, and it took a second look or two to even notice it. Same for a guy who installed EFI on his 56J. So please do not let my install job be a reflection on the kit, it can be made to look almost obscure, but I just did not take the time to do so.

The vac advance on the distributor is a "dummy" since it is all electronic and controlled by the ECU.

The intake adapter sits on a 4B manifold, and I used a hand held grinder to modify the manifold to a dual plane, which allows for good flow with the adapter. The TBI itself, flows 670 CFM, and GM used it for 4.3L motors up to 5.7, so it is very compatible with the Stude 289.

The wiring harness on the right half of the pic goes through the firewall and tucks neatly up under the dash, with the ECU laying on top of the AC evaporator. The harness on the left half of the pic is what goes on top of the motor (at least mine did), and looks kinda like an octopus laying there.
                          Last edited by JoeHall; 09-16-2013, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Joe

I spoke with Bill last week and am expecting mine with in a week. I am nervous about the install because of my lack of mechanic knowledge but have enlisted some help so...

I am very excited to hear you did yours in 10 hours because I am also replacing my fuse panel at the same time. Seems like a huge under taking but I have done everything else ( or it seems ) so this is one of the last items. I am a little on the OCD side of neatness so I will take pictures and share during and after.

Could you please post a couple of your current install? Specifically the location and mounting of the brain

Comment

Originally posted by 57transtar guy View Post
                              Joe

I spoke with Bill last week and am expecting mine with in a week. I am nervous about the install because of my lack of mechanic knowledge but have enlisted some help so...

I am very excited to hear you did yours in 10 hours because I am also replacing my fuse panel at the same time. Seems like a huge under taking but I have done everything else ( or it seems ) so this is one of the last items. I am a little on the OCD side of neatness so I will take pictures and share during and after.

Could you please post a couple of your current install? Specifically the location and mounting of the brain
                              I'm glad you are a little OCD on neatness (obviously I am not); pix of yours, once installed will do the kit more justice than mine do. I ran the ECU end of the harness through the firewall (must drill a 2" hole) to put the ECU inside the car. Wrapped in a single layer of cardboard, it nestles out of sight, on top of the AC evaporator, behind the dash, just below the radio. Inside the car was easy to keep neat, and its hard to even spot anything out of the ordinary there. Everything went behind the dash.

Under the hood is hard to keep from looking "busy". I count about 16 connections, running every which way on the motor, from side to side & end to end: coolant temp sensor; throttle position sensor; o2 sensor; VSS; idle control valve; MAP; ICU; epoxy coil & mount; fuel pump wires; TBI injector wires, well you get the idea.

The TBI itself, will almost pass for a 4B carb, nestled under the air cleaner, and the linkage is not difficult to set up. I put an extension on the TBI ear in order to keep gas pedal & linkage geometry as before.

PRELIMINARY STEP ONE: While waiting for the kit, and the truck is still operational, take it to an exhaust shop and have them weld an o2 sensor bung into the exhaust pipe, about 3-4" down from the flange, and pointed down slightly. The passenger side worked best for mine, due to wiring harness orientation. PayLess did the job in about 20 minutes, and only charged $20, including bung and plug. The guy said they often replace them in modern cars when stripped out, so they keep a supply of bungs on hand.
                              P-STEP TWO: Also, I'd go ahead and set up a fuel return system. Best place to plug into the tank is probably the fuel filler neck about 3-4 inches down. A 90 degree, 1/8" pipe threaded, 5/16" nozzled brass fitting will do the trick.
                              Last edited by JoeHall; 09-17-2013, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X