Stude 4x4s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Stude 4x4s

I did a little reading about Studebakers and NAPCO 4x4s, but I'm confused. On one hand, I have the impression that NAPCO built the drivetrain components used for Studebaker 4x4s, exclusively, but on the other hand I saw where someone advertised their truck as having a NAPCO drivetrain, as if it was a special performance feature.

I'd like some clarification.

Also, on the subject of NAPCO, has anyone done a recent aftermarket 4x4 conversion with NAPCO pieces and how did that go?

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
    I did a little reading about Studebakers and NAPCO 4x4s, but I'm confused. On one hand, I have the impression that NAPCO built the drivetrain components used for Studebaker 4x4s, exclusively, but on the other hand I saw where someone advertised their truck as having a NAPCO drivetrain, as if it was a special performance feature.

I'd like some clarification.

Also, on the subject of NAPCO, has anyone done a recent aftermarket 4x4 conversion with NAPCO pieces and how did that go?
    First NAPCO truck I ever saw was a 1950 Ford 1/2-ton with 10,000 miles that the Forest Service had excessed. It was being sold at a GSA auction.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
      First NAPCO truck I ever saw was a 1950 Ford 1/2-ton with 10,000 miles that the Forest Service had excessed. It was being sold at a GSA auction.
      Sure that was a NAPCO and not a Marmon-Herrington conversion? Sounds too early for a NAPCO, and Marmon-Herrington did the early Ford 4X4 conversions.
      KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I don't have the ad handy, but those are the pages I read that led me to the view that ALL Studes had NAPCO 4x4 running gear, so that the approach from the for sale ad I saw was possibly spin from its owner.

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
          Sure that was a NAPCO and not a Marmon-Herrington conversion? Sounds too early for a NAPCO, and Marmon-Herrington did the early Ford 4X4 conversions.
          You are right. I had forgotten all about Marmon-Herringtons. Old age, bad memory. Thanks for the correction.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
          X